Keyholing with Hornady cast swc

38 minutes ago, hughd said:

Did you check the barrel for leading or try another load after these?

Yeah I cleaned before I shot these. 2 other loads I shot right after these, shot good. I shot 10 of these and 2 or 3 out of 5 would keyhole. The other loads were a 158 gr, fp and the other was a 159 gr. swchp. They both shot fine.  But, were harder because they are cast.

41 minutes ago, chances R said:

Check crimp.  Too little or too much, esp if you were loading fmj then changed to soft lead without crimp adjustments.

No, crimp is the same as other lead bullet loads. They are softer than the other 2 hard cast bullets though. Like I said the Hornady's shoot good out of a 6" gun though.

Just thinkin a bit, if the load is a bit hot, the bullets may be strippin the rifling a bit.  Have ya miked the bullets..?.. They ought ta mike .358 or .359... If they are a bit less, they may not be upsetting n sealin the bore well... That sometimes happens with light loads too...   Just thinkin out loud a bit...

leroy

On 3/26/2020 at 7:54 PM, Quavodus said:

I shot 10 of these and 2 or 3 out of 5 would keyhole.

Have you checked to see if all cylinders chambers are the same size? My bet they are not.

9 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I'm shooting in a .357 . I'm loading in .38 Special brass.

Could be the "jump" inside the cylinder is an issue.

My $0.02, shoot them up and reload as needed.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Its warm but, I'm shooting in a .357 . I'm loading in .38 Special brass. 6.0 gr. Herco and CCI 500 primer.

This oughtta be alright.  Like ya said, warm, but ok.  I've loaded n shot plenty of em with hard cast bullets at 5,3 grains of Unique... About the same thing velocity wise im thinkin. 

As one of other Brothers opined, it could just be the long bullet jump in the 357 cylinder causin an occasional flyer.   That one makes lotsa sense ta me.  Ya might load a handfull of these loads in 357 brass ta see if the keyholin still shows up, if ya are really curious about the cause.  If it does, the hornady slugs may be a bit too soft for the load...  

leroy.

Edited by leroy
20 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Thanks Leroy,  I don't have any more to load right now.  I shot some Yesterday that I had loaded with 5 gr. Herco. They shot a little better. It might help with .357 cases too. 

Interestin Brother..! Im thinkin a bit soft for the 6.0 grain Herco recipe for the short gun... Soundin like the bases may be deformin a bit with the 6 grain load.  

leroy...