Turkey Season

3 hours ago, martin5 said:

I got drawn for Oakridge for tomorrow’s hunt but it got canceled. Thanks coronavirus!

I don't understand this, is there required social contact involved for these hunts? I've never put in for one, just seems weird to cancel something that is a solo venture.  

17 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I don't understand this, is there required social contact involved for these hunts? I've never put in for one, just seems weird to cancel something that is a solo venture.  

May be like some of the national parks being "closed." No staff on site (TWRA?), so they don't want the activity. 

I'm always too busy in the Spring to hunt Turkey or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  There's been talk of an albino turkey in my neck of the woods and on the way into work this morning (working from home is not an option for me during this time) I got a glimpse of it.  I will do my best to get a photo and post.

• Like 2

Yeah they cancelled my hunt but send out emails letting everyone know to get out and enjoy the outdoors. If you don’t hunt turkeys don’t start. It’s more addictive than deer hunting. Being a route driver I’ve seen a bunch of them in full strut for the last month.

Plus they are mighty tasty. I had a co-worker some years ago that had a side business cooking chicken on a stick and such at craft shows and such. Well another co-worker provided the turkey breasts, Tommy the cook cut them into chunks about the size of a hickory nut and fried them puppies up. Just like Andy Griffith said, mmm,mmm GOOOOOD!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Daughter got one opening day of Juvenile season. Me and my buddy got one each hunting together opening day. Got a double beard today and called up one for another buddy. So far I've called in or helped call in 5 birds to the flop. 

received_1045643545817032.jpeg

20200404_093301.jpg

IMG_20200404_170838_854.jpg

20200410_100918.jpg

• Like 2

I've been 3 days since opening day and cant find gobblers where I hunt.  Morgan Co, been putting in the miles too.  I walked almost 3 miles Saturday and couldn't get a hit.  Seen some hens, busted one off the roost but no gobbling even at daybreak.  I'm going crazy.  Hopefully just hasn't gotten hot yet, otherwise its going to be a long season.