You have a 1:30 chance of being a victim of violent crime

Tom Givens gave this interview.  Very enlightening.  I have taken several courses from Mr. Givens, and have heard this before.  Lot of fake news/stats regarding crime out there.  Interesting read.  https://rangemaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Givens_Willingness_v2.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0jDSD-8QbrVUa0igb0IUj5tTuEanSLXoNCBlBOeUB1kmbyohlDoaqwtHk

This is the reason we carry and train....tragic stories.

A good read.  I took a course from Givens years ago and remember the story about the Petit family.  I have a co-worker who has repeatedly said his chances of being a crime victim are almost non-existent because he doesn't go to areas where crime happens.  It blows his mind when I shake my head and reply that anything can (and sometimes does) happen anywhere, any time.  He (and many others) refuse to acknowledge this reality.  

• Like 3

I had a man follow one of my young daughters home, at midnight, after she got off work at a local Sonic drive in. He was on our front porch looking in a window and turned over a potted plant waking the whole house. Scared the begebies our of my family. 

I also had a bad trip to our mail box, several years ago after I retired. I was glad I was armed, and if the guys had come a little closer the gun would have come out. I was glad it didn't. 

I hardened entrance to our home, lit up the outside, and purchased a dog. Also carry all the time even here at home. 

One just never knows. 

• Like 2

Forgot to add, to my previous post,  my son-in-law and I was almost robbed in Montgomery Alabama a few years back. His transmission went out of his car, as we had traveled to visit family in Alabama, and stranded him on the side of the road in Montgomery. He had it towed to a Mr Transmission place. They called him the next morning and told him it was going to cost 3500. to repair his tranny and I knew they were ripping him off. I took him to Montgomery and he wanted me to take him to a phone booth to call a mechanic back home in TN, to see if they were overcharging him.

We went down I 65 and got off at a gas station on the side of the interstate and parked by a drive up phone booth on the corner of a Race Track stop and go parking lot. I exited the car and was standing facing my car leaning on the top, and the station was to my back. Suddenly I smelled liquor, and turned to see a man had walked up behind me and was drunk, at 10:00 in the  morning.  He demanded my money. I turned to face him and I could see the grip of a revolver in his front pocket which he had not pulled yet.  I glanced at the station and all the people were looking in our direction and doing nothing. My gut instantly told me we were in a bad situation. This time, I was not ready as my revolver was under the front seat of my car and I was out of the car. 

I had some quarters in my pocket, for the phone call, so I pulled them out and dropped several on the ground. We were on a slight hill and the quarters started rolling down the hill past the drunk. The thug bent to pick them up and when he too his eye off us I jumped in the car and exited the scene. My SNL noticed what was happening and he was already on the way to get in the car and we pulled  away as fast as we could.

Turned out we stopped in a very bad place in Montgomery and the Race Track was located in the middle of the largest housing project in Montgomery Alabama.  Our kin folks, that we were visiting, later told us they have killings in that project almost nightly. 

Went back to the Mr Transmission, I was livid, walked in and told the manager that I believed he was ripping my SIL off, and if he could not be reasonable we would call a tow truck, and haul the Camaro away,  then pay him for the estimate. He mumbled some words,  cussed a little then said they could repair it for $1200, with used parts, which was a lie, but it was reasonable when this happened several years ago. SNL told him to do the repairs and we left. 

This, and the two incidents I posted in the previous post, is the only 3 times where I had ever needed a gun in my life of 72 years. All three times I was able to get out of my situations. 

Hope I never have another incident. 

Tom Givens is spot on in his interview. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

I had a guy walk up on me with a skateboard raised up in both hands when I was at an atm in Knoxville near campus.  I just happened to hear him in time to turn around and put my hand on my LCR I was carrying...he jumped back and said “oh is the bank closed” (at 9pm no less)...I said “yeah it’s f&cking closed and you better get the hell outta here!” I never had to draw my gun just had it in a IWB holster but he could tell I had my hand on the butt of a gun and that was enough for me and him to make it home unscathed.  I hope that kid (some skinny guy probably not more than 20) found other ways to make money.