TGO David

A Look At The Cloud Defensive OWL Optimized Weapon Light

After we interviewed Matt Tenbarge from Cloud Defensive back on Episode #61 of the Shooters Nation Podcast, it was inevitable that I would buy one of their OWLs (Optimized Weapon Light) for myself.  It took me a hot minute, but I ordered one last week for my 10.5" 5.56 build.

The OWL exceeded my expectations.  Built like a tank, with Tesla-level engineering inside, and amazingly seems to have been designed for human beings to use.  Its as if they really thought about a light for a weapon platform rather than adapting a flashlight like Surefire and Streamlight and countless others have done.

(If you listen to the podcast you'll hear that's exactly the idea)

This thing is damned bright too, which makes me wonder what their forthcoming REIN light is going to be like.  I'll have to order one of those for another weapon.  :)

i-Fh7Dj2f-X3.jpg

i-8vMwmsB-X3.jpg

i-zLS6fMD-X4.jpg

• Like 3

Nice looking rig. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

Nice looking rig. 

Thanks!  :)

Do you think this light would work on the side of a guard? I don’t have a top rail to mount it on but am interested in the idea. 

5 hours ago, maroonandwhite said:

Do you think this light would work on the side of a guard? I don’t have a top rail to mount it on but am interested in the idea. 

Many people do that.  I considered it but after really looking at how I hold the rail with my support hand, this made more sense.

Here's an SMG with it mounted as you asked:

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS: Cloud Defensive OWL (Optimized Weapon Light ...

• Like 2

David, why did you choose to set back the front sight rather than the light?  Or is it simply because of how the light operates and it can't be set back?  Most people want that long sight radius so I'm just curious. 

50 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

David, why did you choose to set back the front sight rather than the light?  Or is it simply because of how the light operates and it can't be set back?  Most people want that long sight radius so I'm just curious. 

Hand positioning and available real-estate.  Since those are backup sights, they are tertiary in importance to me behind the Trijicon MRO (1st priority) and the weapon light (2nd priority).  As is, it'll work fine in a pinch especially at the distances a 10.5" AR is going to be most effective.  I really don't need much sight radius for a CQB shot.  :)

• Like 1

are you left handed?  I am trying to figure out how you're getting to the switch with your support (assuming left) hand

46 minutes ago, FrankD said:

are you left handed?  I am trying to figure out how you're getting to the switch with your support (assuming left) hand

I run rifles left handed due to an eye injury.  Handguns right handed.