Question about selecting good fishing spots

17 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Glad to hear from you, Doug. Check in with us once in a while when you get a chance.

Oh yeah....tell us the secret to catching fish please.

LOL.@ Greg!! There is no real secret to catching fish Greg. A lot depends on the species of fish you are after.  Then a lot depends on the lake you are fishing on? there are many variables to catching fish this time of year and as crazy as the weather has been It would be hard to pattern them as they change when the weather changes. If I was going to go fishing and had a boat I would buy a bucket of big or medium Shiner Minnows and if I had a lake with Small mouths I would put them on a bobber rig with one split shot to keep the shiner in the strike zone longer. If I was on a lake with catfish and wanted some eating fish I would put a shrimp on a bobber rig and fish out on a flat on the main river channel of what ever lake I was on.   Put the boat on the flat close to the river drop but fish the flat and if a cat comes up to feed on the flat out of the deep your bait will be the first thing it will find. That is what I would do if I was going fishing with the weather we have had.

Good luck if you go

Bersaguy        aka Doug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome neighbor! Some great advice here. Another source for info is your local fishing store - try to find one that sells live bait. Its easy to walk in with a friendly smile and ask whats hitting, where, and on what. A good store owner will know from his customers/buddies whats hot at the moment (changes daily!).

I don't know Knox county spots, but Ft. Loudon/Lake area I hear a lot about. You can fish from shre below the dam, I frequently see that area busy. Could rent a charter service for half a day on one of the lakes for a (kids) birthday (party)... ask the Captain for advice as well.

Good luck! Crappie are hitting in Watts Bar, I can tell you that. :LOL:

I used to live in Blount County and one of my favorite things to do was go hang out in Citico/Tellico as trout fish.  Still one of my favorite places that I've ever been.  Enter from the Citico side and work your way towards Indian Boundary.  Then either head back or continue towards Tellico.  Couple of things to keep in mind is you do have to buy a Citico/Tellico permit each day, but you are covered if you have a sportsman's license.  The lower end of Citico Creek is off limits after stocking certain days of the week, can't recall which ones so check the regs.

Something that I found out about after I left that area was the Trout Magnet lure.  It's a small 1/64oz jig head.  I use them now primarily for blue gill, but I have caught several middle Tennessee stocker trout on them.  The lure has been a hands changer for me, lots of fun.  I but the in 50 packs at Bass Pro and have several different body color/head combos.  I highly recommend using the Leland's Lures 2lb SOS line with them.  It's the best light line I've ever messed with and it's actually quite manageable.  It allows you to cast that tiny jig much further than 4 or 6 lb line.  It's recommended to use a 2lb fluorocarbon leader when fishing clear water.  The TM bobbers make the jig more versatile as well.  

Edited by 10-Ring