Your favorite press? (Non progressive)

I’m looking to get back into rifle reloading. I did the bulk pistol thing on a Dillon 550 when I was doing a lot of competitive shooting and just got sick of reloading. 
Once the word normalizes I plan to get a nicer single stage press to load rifle ammo.
I’m really leaning heavily toward the Hornady Iron press but  looking for some advice and recommendations. 

I would eventually get a trickle powder measure but would initially rely on manual powder dump.

My main reason for the Hornady is to take advantage of the lock and load system. 

Edited by maroonandwhite

Forster Co-Ax single stage press. You won't need all that extra Hornady stuff. You only need 2 shell holders, which covers anything out there. I load anything from 9mm to 45/70. one holder comes with the press. I bought the bigger one for the 45/70 also. Wish I had bought one years ago. Much easier to operate.

• Like 3

Wow. The coax looks super nice. I hadn’t seen it before. I’ll have to figure out the best way to insert primers since the built in seater looks slow. Do most of you do them with a handheld seater?

I was using a Lee turret press before that had a gravity feed seater. 

5 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

Wow. The coax looks super nice. I hadn’t seen it before. I’ll have to figure out the best way to insert primers since the built in seater looks slow. Do most of you do them with a handheld seater?

Primer seating speed will be about the same as a regular single stage press. It likely won't compete with a turret feed, but then, it's not supposed to. The other operations,tho, more than make up for that. No more screwing in dies. Set one time & you're done. They slide in & out the slot.

2 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Primer seating speed will be about the same as a regular single stage press. It likely won't compete with a turret feed, but then, it's not supposed to. The other operations,tho, more than make up for that. No more screwing in dies. Set one time & you're done. They slide in & out the slot.

Thanks. I’m not really concerned with speed. Just the best practice. Looks like you would have to handle each primer with the coax. Would a hand primer or other standalone seater be ideal?

I like the Lee Turret press, once you set your dies, they are set.  Changing calibers is super easy and fast, and can be used as a single stage, my prefered method, or having it index from die to die automatically.  The new press is high enough for most rifle calibers, which is why I upgraded from the originals press, but it is also much sturdier IMO, and can handle even cartridge conversion like 300BLK or .277 WLV.

1 hour ago, Omega said:

I like the Lee Turret press, once you set your dies, they are set.  Changing calibers is super easy and fast, and can be used as a single stage, my prefered method, or having it index from die to die automatically.  The new press is high enough for most rifle calibers, which is why I upgraded from the originals press, but it is also much sturdier IMO, and can handle even cartridge conversion like 300BLK or .277 WLV.

One thing I didn’t like about my turret press was the movement allowed in the turret. When I’d raise the ram, the turret would come up by a few mm. It just had a certain tolerance built in to allow the turret to spin without binding. I’m not sure if it had an effect on the final product or not but I’m looking for something a little more precise this time around. 
I’m not gonna spend more just for the sake of it but I do want to get something a little more solid. 

1 hour ago, maroonandwhite said:

Thanks. I’m not really concerned with speed. Just the best practice. Looks like you would have to handle each primer with the coax. Would a hand primer or other standalone seater be ideal?

Yes, you would have to handle each primer. You could use a hand primer if you so choose.

I didn't really care for the hand press thing. The co-ax seats them the correct dept each time,

no room for error ( unless you put it in upside down, LOL ).

Your choice, good luck.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, maroonandwhite said:

One thing I didn’t like about my turret press was the movement allowed in the turret. When I’d raise the ram, the turret would come up by a few mm. It just had a certain tolerance built in to allow the turret to spin without binding. I’m not sure if it had an effect on the final product or not but I’m looking for something a little more precise this time around. 
I’m not gonna spend more just for the sake of it but I do want to get something a little more solid. 

I've not noticed any issues on the final product really, and my old one was much looser.  The measurements you take takes the upward movement into account, but yea, most anything with moving parts will have some give.  Maybe a RCBS Rock Chucker?

3 hours ago, maroonandwhite said:

Yeah, I use a Lee Auto Prime. works great, and had it for at least 30+ years.

• Like 1

You might look for a Bonanza co-ax press on Ebay. Looks like a Forster and a lot of the parts are interchangeable. I picked one up from a member here and absolutely love it. I have not tried priming on it, I think I will stick with a hand primer.  I'm sure I would lose some primers trying to load them one at a time.

1 hour ago, kvmx00 said:

You might look for a Bonanza co-ax press on Ebay. Looks like a Forster and a lot of the parts are interchangeable. I picked one up from a member here and absolutely love it. I have not tried priming on it, I think I will stick with a hand primer.  I'm sure I would lose some primers trying to load them one at a time.

There is actually one listed that’s missing the primer tube and can. I’ll probably just get a new one for the price difference. 

On 3/30/2020 at 5:19 PM, Raoul said:

RCBS. Rockchucker. Slow but dependable and.....bulletproof. I have several for each step in the process. They'll outlive me and they make bullets the way you want them.

I've been using mine since the seventies.  

• Like 1

I have a Rockchucker as well, but it's not as nice to use as the Co-Ax.   Simply put, I can change between dies in a Co-Ax in a few seconds and once they are set, they are set.  It may seems like a small issue, but I hardly ever use my Rockchucker or Lyman Single stage presses anymore.  Not saying they aren't good presses, just ease of use and switching between things is easier on the Co-Ax.  It can also be argued the Co-Ax has an advantage on accuracy due to design.  That may not mean much to most, but it is a factor.

I think if you ask people who have had both, nearly 100 percent would pick the Co-Ax if they had to choose one.  Basically all of them will last forever, so don't see where that is the major issue.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
On 3/30/2020 at 6:19 PM, Raoul said:

RCBS. Rockchucker. Slow but dependable and.....bulletproof. I have several for each step in the process. They'll outlive me and they make bullets the way you want them.

#metoo.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My first SS press was a Lee Challenger.  Like many Lee products, it was slightly better than no press at all.  Years later I ran across an estate sale of gear and bought it as a lot.  Included was a RCII press and I’ve used it since, after selling the Lee.   In fact I just loaded some 30-30 today with it.  

82430170-C4BE-46DE-987D-22FEAFDA8CBE.jpeg