Your favorite press? (Non progressive)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After receiving some inspiration from another thread I just went ahead and ordered (backordered) a Forster Coax. For the guys that have them, what should I go ahead and stock up on while I wait? Doesn’t look like it comes with the cross bolt rings so I’ll probably get a few sets of those. Should I use Forster dies? Doesn’t seem like it will matter. I’ll probably use cheaper dies for handgun stuff. I won’t be loading handgun much at all if any. Just want to have the option of need be. 

For rifle I’d like to have a little more precision so I’m thinking it make be neat to just stick with Forster. I’ll be starting with .308 and .300 blackout. 

Die manufacturer doesn’t matter for the press itself.   I prefer Redding competition for precision things, but any will work.  If you have other general reloading supplies you shohld be good.  I do hand prime all of my rounds as it is just faster.  

• Like 2

In my experience: I have had a Bonanza while it was still a Bonanza. It is a quality press. I do not see all the excitement. All is well until it's time to change jaws moving from cartridge to cartridge. Mine needs four sets of jaws to cover all calibers. Make no mistake, the Co-Ax is a well made quality press with novel features.

For general utility it's had to beat a Rock Chucker. I have a need to form cartridge cases. For this work the RC does very well. Sometimes, I come close to looking for a cheater bar  for some of these cases. As an aside beware when you are told about making cases "...the only thing you have to do is..!  Be fairly warned, there is a need to ask the guru how many has he done.

My Co-Ax is not mounted now. It up for trade or sale at the rifle club shortly. Also, I have made up 550 tool heads for 308 and 30-06, A tool head is for .223 is in the works.   

Edited by Mowgli-Terry
  • 3 weeks later...

For dies it doesn't matter as long as you use the Forster lock rings. They're sold in sets separately at various places. I personally like Forsters benchrest dies for precision rifle. I use Hornady and Lee for all my pistol calibers. 

If the lock and load system interests you for the single stage, if your rock chucker has a removable bushing, Hornady makes a conversion kit to replace that bushing with their quick change female bushing. I did this on my Lee classic Cast single stage and love it. Die changes are super quick now and no more adjusting other than the micrometers on my seating dies. 

LC

58 minutes ago, Loudcherokee said:

For dies it doesn't matter as long as you use the Forster lock rings. They're sold in sets separately at various places. I personally like Forsters benchrest dies for precision rifle. I use Hornady and Lee for all my pistol calibers. 

If the lock and load system interests you for the single stage, if your rock chucker has a removable bushing, Hornady makes a conversion kit to replace that bushing with their quick change female bushing. I did this on my Lee classic Cast single stage and love it. Die changes are super quick now and no more adjusting other than the micrometers on my seating dies. 

LC

I actually bought the lock n load conversion kit with the press. I could have lived without it but it is pretty neat. It was either that or the clamp style locking rings. I’ve seen this in stock at numerous stores so for availability’s sake I got the bushings. 

The jaws do have to be changed ( or reversed ), depending on the cartridge. This doesn't

happen with every cartridge, many use the same jaws. I did have to buy an extra set for the 45/70. The rest, fits anything I have encountered.

You can use any die you like, but will want Forster rings. I did buy Forster precision dies for

a .308. Personal choice, not necessarily required.

Like anything else, some swear by Ford, some Chevy. Go with what suits you. Personally, I wish I had ran across the Co-Ax years ago. Might have added a few years to my life span, LOL.

I started with a Rockchucker and find it adequate for my needs. I did convert to the Lock rings.  Hornaday and Forrester offer the rings.  I prefer the Forrester rings.  I did add an RCBS Jr to the bench that is strictly for de-priming as that is a messy task.  I am in the process of moving and hope to be setting up my re-load bench within the next month or two.

Started with a rock chucker. Then went to a square deal B. Now a 650. As soon as I get the bucks, I'm getting a 750. Never had a complaint about any of them. Even swedged  one case from another. [ 8mm from 30/06 ect.

I've got 2 LEE single stage, the oldest (early 80's is for de-priming and swaging) and the newer one has the bushing type set up for easier/faster die changes is used for re-sizing, priming and seating bullets.  I don't do pistol ammo, so it's all I need.  I look at the turret style but keeping it simple works for me.  LOL