TEOTWAWKI and Covid 19 Prep

6 hours ago, jgradyc said:

Thanks for doing this!

By the way, in a few days (?) those $1,200 checks will be going out. What can we expect? As someone posted earlier, I think there will be run on banks to get cash. That could cause a panic if banks aren't prepared with cash on hand. It seems like every other industry has been unprepared so far so this isn't too unrealistic. Ironically, the cash that no one wants to touch today could become very valuable in a couple of weeks. I mean, if I wanted to buy something from someone else, I wouldn't expect them to take a check in today's market. 

I might be totally wrong on this, but having some $20s and $100s stashed away would seem to be better than buying a $1,600 gold coin. No one is going to be able to make change for a $1,600 coin.

EDITED TO ADD: I also think it's essential to be extra careful and vigilant now. A cut or broken arm or car accident could send you to the ER and potentially expose you to Covid 19. I'm also more careful about carrying when I'm outside the house. Also, a lot more people are going to parks. That means there are a lot more novices leaving valuables in cars. I anticipate more car break ins at parks.

I work for a financial institution. Federal regulations put in after the Great Depression cover a lot of what can happen. If a location did not have enough to satisfy a withdrawal, we can pull from others, Worst case, we might even dip into the huge amount sitting around in or ATM machines, Believe me the Federal Government has printed PLENTY of cash to satisfy all the people that want it. We could make a call and have pretty much any amount we want in our hands in a couple days TOPS. Lots of those "checks" are actually going to be electronic transfers. Then a lot of people are going to buy what they want on a credit card and pay for it with a check or transfer. Unless things completely fall apart a lot of people will go right on with their habitual spending routines, Also, remember when a guy cashes his check and goes to the liquor store, that cash generally ends up back in the bank in a few days, 

I do keep cash around and recommend people do. Keep more that 20's though. I keep a large stack of $1 bills in my EDC pouch. If things go bad no one is making  change period. Plus easier not to show off how much you have. Pull out a $20 then that $15 bag of beans just became $20. Hard to argue with the guy if you NEED that item. So when you get cash, get a decent mix. $1s, $5s, $10s, etc. I even like to keep a good stock of coins. If I had a hard time getting home from work and had to walk, I pass at least 10 outdoor vending machines. Not the best but if I had to have food or drink, it would help out until I could get home. I don't want to be the guy sitting in jail under arrest for breaking into vending machines when the apocalypse fully blooms. Plus if it all falls down then I could load shotgun shells with my change like Billy the Kid or Resident Evil. LOL

At some point, if this slides far enough, cash will simply be good fire tinder or bad toilet paper. 

Rough times are like a playground for bad guys. Plus, those on the edge that keep away from trouble because they fear the consequences will have more of a tendency to cross that line. Spread law enforcement 5 times thinner than they already are and break-ins will be the least of what people do to each other. 

• Like 2

I'm really glad someone stared this thread. I had thought about it, but stopped myself because the situation is still evolving.  I'm an old Boy Scout, so 'Be Prepared' is sort of in my DNA.  I'm pretty well set, but one thing I have learned... my wife and kids dont understand 'conserving resources' in the same way I do.

Edit: if the trucking industry goes to Hell, we're all in a bad mess.

Edited by superduty
  • Like 4

The Governor signed a stay at home order yesterday, but there are so many exceptions. So far, to my knowledge, there's been no increase in theft or violence. I'm reasonably prepped now. I ordered about a 1,000 rounds of ammo from BassPro, but it's on back order. Whether it actually arrives is another matter. I figured I'd rather have the ammo than the dollars in a bank account. 

One thing I'm doing that I would recommend... download survivalist and prepper books so we can access this information offline. I'm also spending less time reading fiction and more time reading prepper material. 

On 4/1/2020 at 7:57 AM, Oh Shoot said:

I've been a "minimal" survivalist for a good while now. As a townie, in an apartment. Just me.

Assuming the water supply hangs in there, I can shut the door and not open it for at least 9 months.

- OS

What's your chosen main method of food source?    Canned goods, dry goods, MRE, home canning, or all of the above?

Well for me so far it's a Talking Heads song.....same as it ever was. I was raised by a widowed woman who knew how to be a prepper. I'm more heavily armed and restrict my trips away from the homestead. Freezer is loaded, I've got extra propane, enough ammo, and backup if needed. What will be will be....

1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

What's your chosen main method of food source?    Canned goods, dry goods, MRE, home canning, or all of the above?

I've got various of the "doomsday" 25-year type food products I've picked up over time, different sizes, couple of 3 monthers, couple 1 montherss, various 1 week and 72 hour small ones. Bleah, hope to never have to use them. :)

Several stashes of canned (veggie/meat/whatnot) and dry goods (pasta/beans/rice/whatnot) stashed here and there.

Since I cook, and seldom eat out or grab fast food to go, the fridge stays relatively full.  Plus, even though it's just a normal size fridge, the freezer also stays pretty well stocked all the time almost all with meat, and that's the main base for month's worth of good eating right there, before I'd have to start digging into the less palatable stuff. 

My normal routine is a Sam's run every 6 or 8 weeks for some bulk stuff but mostly meat, and then frequent on foot jaunts to Kroger and local fresh veggie market for odds and ends throughout that stint.

I'm hunkered down for April, and my bestest tasting stash will be mostly gone by then, so I'll have to decide whether a run to the stores will be advisable or not in May. We'll see.

- OS

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

I've got various of the "doomsday" 25-year type food products I've picked up over time, different sizes, couple of 3 monthers, couple 1 montherss, various 1 week and 72 hour small ones. Bleah, hope to never have to use them. :)

Several stashes of canned (veggie/meat/whatnot) and dry goods (pasta/beans/rice/whatnot) stashed here and there.

Since I cook, and seldom eat out or grab fast food to go, the fridge stays relatively full.  Plus, even though it's just a normal size fridge, the freezer also stays pretty well stocked all the time almost all with meat, and that's the main base for month's worth of good eating right there, before I'd have to start digging into the less palatable stuff. 

My normal routine is a Sam's run every 6 or 8 weeks for some bulk stuff but mostly meat, and then frequent on foot jaunts to Kroger and local fresh veggie market for odds and ends throughout that stint.

I'm hunkered down for April, and my bestest tasting stash will be mostly gone by then, so I'll have to decide whether a run to the stores will be advisable or not in May. We'll see.

- OS

Excellent. One thing my wife is finding out now, is that you prep beforehand. After SHTF, it's too late. Now my preps are not getting me heat like they used to. Weird how that works. 😉

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

I know where you live. I don't mind to drop some stuff off at your door step if you don't want to leave. I'll be living closer to you in a few weeks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I know where you live. I don't mind to drop some stuff off at your door step if you don't want to leave. I'll be living closer to you in a few weeks.

Thanks bro, really appreciate it, and I will holler if necessary.  But I should be just fine. I'll run out of odds and ends, but that's far from being in need.

I've got both a doc and dentist appointment on the week of the 13th, neither pressing. I'm curious to see if they are gonna nix them before I do.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
speeeling
7 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Thanks bro, really appreciate it, and I will holler if necessary.  But I should be just fine. I'll run out of odds and ends, but that's far from being in need.

I've got both a doc and dentist appointment on the week of the 13th, neither pressing. I'm curious to see if they are gonna nix them before I do.

- OS

Not sure about your dentist OS but a family member who is a dentist was ordered to close weeks ago with a reopen date of "maybe" may 1st. Non essential is what they were told. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Not sure about your dentist OS but a family member who is a dentist was ordered to close weeks ago with a reopen date of "maybe" may 1st. Non essential is what they were told. 

Yep, both our dentist and the kids' dentist are emergencies only for the time being. Eye doctor too.  

• Like 3

Great advice, thanks! I picked up some 20s, 10s, 5s, and 50 $1 bills. At this point, I'd rather have the bills than have it sitting in the bank. 

At this point, I don't have to leave home unless I want to for at least a month. 

EDITED: Oops, this was a follow up to Ronald_55's post suggesting I get some smaller bills when I went to the bank for cash. I thought I quoted his post, but I must have inadvertently deleted it when I posted.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1
On 4/1/2020 at 9:59 PM, bud said:

I use these water storage cubes, Ronald.

PS. Back in 2018 after our conversation about bail-out-bag kits and disaster preparedness kits etc.,  and after consulting the materials list on your site, I ordered all the items that I didn't already have.

They've been stored for almost 2 years at this point, and I whipped it all out at the start of this ordeal.  I'm very thankful for your help,  and am very thankful I have these things available at this time.  I've been meaning to take the time to tell you that for the last couple weeks... so thank you!

Screenshot_20200401-214456_Chrome.jpg

For that same amount of money you could buy (34) food grade  5 gallon buckets and lids at Lowe's. I know they aren't the fancy handles and spouts but for 10-15 more you could buy a bulkhead or 2 and cut your own spigot in. You could also order some Berkey filters in and store them in an empty bucket. If you need to use them you drill a couple of holes in one of the buckets and now you have the best water filtration reasonably available. I could store 125 gallons of water and have a set up that will filter thousands of gallons more for $190.

• Like 2