TEOTWAWKI and Covid 19 Prep

7 hours ago, Mark A said:

For that same amount of money you could buy (34) food grade  5 gallon buckets and lids at Lowe's. I know they aren't the fancy handles and spouts but for 10-15 more you could buy a bulkhead or 2 and cut your own spigot in. You could also order some Berkey filters in and store them in an empty bucket. If you need to use them you drill a couple of holes in one of the buckets and now you have the best water filtration reasonably available. I could store 125 gallons of water and have a set up that will filter thousands of gallons more for $190.

Excellent post and tip!!!

That price is the panic-price. Normally they run about $20 each.

Mark A's post is still valid though. A small supply on hand with a filtration system to handle more is the way to go as long as you have access to unfiltered water to send through your system. Rain barrels for watering a garden are a great way to store unfiltered water and use it regularly until the zombies come a knockin'.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Raoul said:

So if it's really teowaki  you really think anybody will give a rat's arse about your paper money which is backed by a failing state? I'd suggest precious metals. Lead primarily.

Funny how lead will be very valuable, so much so you can acquire anything with it, and I mean anything!

10 minutes ago, FrankD said:

Unless someone gives you theirs first.

Gives a whole new meaning to a trade meet. 

I have always thought it plausible that there would come a time in TEOTWAWKI that there is more benefit in molding gold and silver into bullets than in hoarding it. 

20 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Gives a whole new meaning to a trade meet. 

I have always thought it plausible that there would come a time in TEOTWAWKI that there is more benefit in molding gold and silver into bullets than in hoarding it. 

Agreed, I have never really understood the hoarding of gold and silver for barter in that kind of situation.  It will take years and years for society to become stable enough to begin trading basic needs and services for luxury items like gold/silver.   I would be more concerned with making it through the first phase of collapse/stabilization, I figure if I can make it that far I likely have enough skills/supplies to be on the better end when it comes time to start building my throne out of precious metals.

1 minute ago, FrankD said:

Agreed, I have never really understood the hoarding of gold and silver for barter in that kind of situation.  It will take years and years for society to become stable enough to begin trading basic needs and services for luxury items like gold/silver.   I would be more concerned with making it through the first phase of collapse/stabilization, I figure if I can make it that far I likely have enough skills/supplies to be on the better end when it comes time to start building my throne out of precious metals.

I would not be surprised to find people willing to trade you for precious metals and paper money for a while after the collapse. It is the mindset that there is value there. They will hope to cash in on the situation like some of these sanitizer and mask guys. Maybe they have enough supplies to gamble trading them away or think the situation will be short lived. While I understand the value of precious metal and have some, I still can't understand how it took on that worth. Before technology employed it, the value was mainly based on it being shiny and in relatively limited supply. No worse than the current dollar though.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I hadn't  been inside of a building other than my own digs for 41 days until yesterday.

I could have gone another 2 or 3 weeks and still have been eating pretty well but I was out of lots of favs, fresh veggies, munchies, and whatnot. But I mainly went ahead on a stock up because I'm thinking things may again get quite "interesting" toward the end of May and beyond.

I hit the Tuesday Morning Geezer Session at Sam's. I doubt there were more than 30 of us in the entire store, makes ya feel kinda special in an eerie way. Pretty amazing what they have and what they don't. As expected, meat was only about 1/3 of normal stock, with a one per on lots of meat items. But still plenty enough meat variety to stock up the freezer again, albeit at higher prices. But some stuff still MIA, like paper towels and toilet paper, pretty much expected, seems they get stocks on the mega bundles every few days, which apparently lasts a couple hours. Other absences a bit more mysterious, like butter of all things, birdseed, and whatnot. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE was masked.

So I braved Wally's next door mainly for inferior birdseed, a few fishing tackle items (been walking down to the river some to wet a line since the shootin range has been closed), and did a quick tour through the food section. Amazingly well stocked, it seemed to me. picked up some unfulfilled items on the list. Again, I don't recall seeing ANYbody not wearing a mask.

Then later in the day, my third trip, to Kroger to pick up remaining needs, mostly fresh veggies/fruit, canned goods, and cheap dopes. Pretty crowded for a Tuesday (was about noon by then), but what surprised me was that about a fourth of the crowd was NOT masked.

So, anyway, I'm prepared to re-sequester for at least 60 days if it seems prudent, we'll see.

You'll note that nationwide, the confirmed infections are still on the increase, and Monday was the highest death day yet.  TN had 248/13 btw.  So we'll see what the first 30 days of "reopening" does around the country, and of course especially here in Tennersee.

- OS

• Like 3