Post Your First AR

Prod951

19 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

The reason I  choose the Dissipator was the longer iron sight radius with a relatively shorter OAL for the carbine. Suited my perceived needs at the time. 

Me too, but I don't know why I cared about iron sights back then and wasn't even considering an optic :)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ken_mays said:

Me too, but I don't know why I cared about iron sights back then and wasn't even considering an optic :)

The only optic I considered back then was a scope. I still have a "return to zero" mount that fit the carry handle and it actually worked!

I traded for my first RDS, an EOTech, around 2002-2003 iirc and was sold on thee concept. RDS just weren't a "thing" back then.

But I sure am glad I learned iron sights first! 🙂

On 4/6/2020 at 3:53 AM, Jamie Jackson said:

I actually still have my first AR. Like David, it's a 1995 Bushmaster 16" Dissipator. RDS weren't a thing at that time and very few civilian purchase options were available .

The photo was taken August 28th 2005, the day before Katrina hit back home (MS). It was/is a decent gun for the time .

AR Bushmaster Dissapator.JPG

Bushmaster is gone forever..

On 4/4/2020 at 6:02 PM, TomInMN said:

How long before we start seeing hipster ARs with quad rails?

I still use quad rails; never got into KeyMod or M-Lok.  Have a Knight's Armament M4 RAS on my SBR and a 13” Troy Bravo rail on my 16" AR.

First was 2003, just before the ban sunset.  Bushmaster ”postban”.  Paid $1100 and was just glad to buy it.  Bought a WASR-10 AK for $299 that same week, along with some cases of Wolf for $69/1K in 7.62x39 and $79/1K for .223.

Pinned stock (can’t actually collapse it), muzzle brake, no bayonet lug.  That one is long gone.

0035A564-1051-49D6-B589-EEA25B178F24.jpeg

Edited by asu174
  • Like 1
Guest OMCHamlin
On 4/2/2020 at 11:41 PM, Prod951 said:

Please dont laugh I thought it was so cool. Lol

IMG_20110505_181057.jpg

Laugh? How could I?

(circa 2003~04 or so, as you can tell by the muzzle brake and non-collapsible stock)

TtvHnQS.jpg

Edited by OMCHamlin
11 hours ago, asu174 said:

First was 2003, just before the ban sunset.  Bushmaster ”postban”.  Paid $1100 and was just glad to buy it.  Bought a WASR-10 AK for $299 that same week, along with some cases of Wolf for $69/1K in 7.62x39 and $79/1K for .223.

Pinned stock (can’t actually collapse it), muzzle brake, no bayonet lug.  That one is long gone.

0035A564-1051-49D6-B589-EEA25B178F24.jpeg

Ahh the cheap ol days of ammo when we still thought it was too much.  I hope people buy plenty next time it drops again which will be sooner than people think...always is.  Personally I don’t think WASRs are worth much more than you paid then.  I remember what used to be said about them ...most of it is still true..you can’t polish a turd but you can cut the ends off and shape it lmao.

45 minutes ago, Prod951 said:

I would not say it was a thing to around 2014 most people were still arguing its not milspec and reduce reliability.

Sounds about right.  Before midlength, we had the Dissipator- 16” barrel, rifle length gas.  With no dwell time, the gas port on the barrel had to be opened up.  

They ended up just putting a carbine (now midlength) gas block under the rifle length handguards and leaving the A2 FSB where it was for the sight radius.  

Gas systems aside, the “long handguard with minimal barrel exposed” era is only a few years old.  Most of my ARs are set up that way.  I was actually looking at my 18” guns over the weekend wondering how weird a 17” handguard would look on them. 

Edited by asu174