Is anybody staying home?

My business is on my property & as always I'm cranking out 80+ hour weeks. Thankfully, kennels were deemed essential, along with animal welfare & agriculture so I've managed to stay fully staffed, even though the boarding business is all but dead right now. Jules & I are prioritizing staff wages above ourselves & it's costing me about $100/day out of my own pocket to keep them going. Luckily I have enough put aside that I can keep this up for a couple of months if needed.

I've been to the grocery store twice, I think, since mid March. We stocked up hard on business essentials (dog/ horse feed, bleach & disinfectant) as soon as it all went nuts.

Other than that & the bank, which I can't avoid, I've not been off property. 

Edited by Handsome Rob
  • Like 2

Generally, we're staying at home but still get out a few times a week. I'm 100% work from home now and Mrs. 'lizard is a teacher.

I've made a few Home Depot runs over the past two weeks for some materials to rebuild my vegetable garden raised beds (cedar was finally rotting out after 6+ years) but I finished that up last weekend. We went to the greenhouse (an independent place in the middle of nowhere) today to get some plants for it.

We've grabbed a few curbside meals to help out some local restaurants.

We still make our weekly grocery store run, but if we had to stop that or go every other week that's fine. We're pretty set with frozen, canned, and dry goods for a while but it's nice to keep fresh produce, meats, and dairy while we can. I always keep plenty of paper towels and toilet paper on hand, so that wasn't really a concern.

Most of my driving now is for mental health. I love getting the convertible out of the garage on these warm afternoons and driving down the Natchez Trace or some rural back road. It's going to suck if that has to stop.

My septuagenarian in-laws live about 10 minutes away and we've stopped by there a couple of times and sat 10+ feet away out in the driveway and visited for a while. Now we have them on Zoom and that seems to be working well.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I thought you guys were essential? The gun shop I mean

Yes, but the owner has decided at this time, in the interest of health of staff and customers to close temporarily. Sumner County has the highest death rate from the virus in the state, with Gallatin being the center of that.

Besides, everybody bought almost everything and we have practically zero stock.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Read this morning that as many as 46% have the corona virus and show no symptoms, from testing done in Iceland. Makes me kinda suspicious of this whole pandemic thing. So we now have coronavirus Marys spreading this around and nobody knows who has it, and is an undetected carrier. Just gets better and better all the time. Not losing any sleep over the virus myself.

I’m working from home, my daughter is schooling online, my wife is taking online college courses. My office is set up in the garage, my daughter is using the office, my wife has the dining room table. We’ve got enough supplies to last a couple of months. So, our only contact with the outside is virtual or when I have to restock the occasional necessity. Even so, both of my gals are in bed with 100 degree fever, aches, chills, cough, dizziness. I’m not sure if it came home from my daughter having worked 12 days ago or on my clothes from an early grocery run a week ago. At this point, their symptoms seem to be improving. So, it could be a seasonal flu. I did have a flu shot in the fall, while they opted not to so that others could have theirs. That would explain why I feel fine and they don’t. I’m hoping that’s all that it is.

Edited by homeagain
Just now, homeagain said:

I’m working from home, my daughter is schooling online, my wife is taking online college courses. My office is set up in the garage, my daughter is using the office, my wife has the dining room table. We’ve got enough supplies to last a couple of months. So, our only contact with the outsiders virtual or when I have to restock the occasional necessity. Even so, both of my gals are in bed with 100 degree fever, aches, chills, cough, dizziness. I’m not sure if it came home from my daughter having worked 12 days ago or on my clothes from an early grocery run a week ago. At this point, their symptoms seem to be improving. So, it could be a seasonal flu. I did have a flu shot in the fall, while they opted not to so that others could have theirs. That would explain why I feel fine and they don’t. I’m hoping that’s all that it is.

Hope they are on the mend and feel better soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Steelharp said:

Yes, but the owner has decided at this time, in the interest of health of staff and customers to close temporarily. Sumner County has the highest death rate from the virus in the state, with Gallatin being the center of that.

Besides, everybody bought almost everything and we have practically zero stock.

Sounds like a good choice on both regards. Nothing stopping him from doing by appointment sales for good customers who need something he still has though. 

• Like 1

My wife sowed us cotton mask to wear when we are forced to go out. I do have one of the good professional mask which I will cover with the cotton cloth homemade one to keep it from getting contaminated. I have enough supplies for about 2 weeks, but will need a few supplies, bread milk etc, which we will try to order on line next time. If I get the virus with all my problems it could be toast for me so I am trying to limit my exposure. 

5 hours ago, RED333 said:

Any idea how far away (days. weeks. months) a "restock" is?

Not really. Just before we closed, practically everything at the distributors was allocated. They were having a hard time restocking. Whenever we reopen, I'll give y'all an update on how things stand.

This is how it looked March 12.

Screenshot_2020-04-05-11-40-47~2.png

Edited by Steelharp
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
On 4/4/2020 at 9:21 AM, homeagain said:

I’m working from home, my daughter is schooling online, my wife is taking online college courses. My office is set up in the garage, my daughter is using the office, my wife has the dining room table. We’ve got enough supplies to last a couple of months. So, our only contact with the outside is virtual or when I have to restock the occasional necessity. Even so, both of my gals are in bed with 100 degree fever, aches, chills, cough, dizziness. I’m not sure if it came home from my daughter having worked 12 days ago or on my clothes from an early grocery run a week ago. At this point, their symptoms seem to be improving. So, it could be a seasonal flu. I did have a flu shot in the fall, while they opted not to so that others could have theirs. That would explain why I feel fine and they don’t. I’m hoping that’s all that it is.

LOL! Last year, my wife was the only one in the house to get a flu shot, and the only one to get the flu. I am in no way equating the two, but it did make me snicker a bit.

On 4/4/2020 at 7:30 AM, owejia said:

Read this morning that as many as 46% have the corona virus and show no symptoms, from testing done in Iceland. Makes me kinda suspicious of this whole pandemic thing. So we now have coronavirus Marys spreading this around and nobody knows who has it, and is an undetected carrier. Just gets better and better all the time. Not losing any sleep over the virus myself.

46%? I'm calling B.S. on that one.

• Admin Team
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

As of last week, Iceland was doing wide scale testing - but had only tested 17,900 people.

1% have come back positive.  I have no know where that 46% came from - but I have seen data from Iceland suggesting that roughly 50% of those positive cases were asymptomatic.

Mind you 1% of 17900 is 179 cases with roughly 90 being asymptomatic. It’s not a large sample group. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I guess its possible, since many people have tested positive and did not develop symptoms.

I’m trying to stay away from the “numbers game”. First, we all know from gun statistics that you can make the numbers show anything you want; even if you have to lie. Secondly, we don’t have good data. We can’t trust the data that is coming out of some countries; so we must dismiss it. Also, there are 18000 of the machines required for the “quick test”, more are being shipped daily. Our ability and the number of tests changes dramatically, sometimes daily, so the target, and results, keeps moving.

The only number that I think matters is the number of dead. And its fair to compare that number to other flu deaths.

The number of ventilators keeps grabbing headlines. Everyone that needs ventilators, has them. And ventilators aren’t a magic bullet. Most people don’t go on a vent, and I don’t know what the percentage number is, but it is my understanding that a large percentage of people that go on a vent; die.

Edited by DaveTN
1 hour ago, Steelharp said:

Not really. Just before we closed, practically everything at the distributors was allocated. They were having a hard time restocking. Whenever we reopen, I'll give y'all an update on how things stand.

This is how it looked March 12.

Screenshot_2020-04-05-11-40-47~2.png

Thanks for the update, be safe.

• Thanks 1

Well my fishinh hole is closed, I can go to Vererit and fish. So I did a few rhings around the place. Here is the last one for the day and my view of my world, well some of it. Watching the burn barrel go out and forget about what is going on for a little bit.

15861273051201557826980.jpg