Is anybody staying home?

Let me start by saying that for the last three weeks I've been mostly staying at home. Yes, I do go out for my daily exercise walk, which is allowed.  There have also been a couple of trips to the store. I'm also practicing social distancing. But for the most part I've been doing just what I've been told and kept my butt at home. 

Today something unexpected came up and I had to drive pretty much all the way across north Memphis. The traffic was about normal from pre-virus days. Maybe a little heavier. People out walking around in groups like everything was just fine. Lots and lots of people are out. :shake:

I saw on the news tonight that Gov. Lee has stressed staying home. He said its a requirement. I fully understand why. It seems that most of the population can't understand simple english or just aren't taking this seriously.  No wonder Shelby county has the fastest growing infection rate in the state. The real pandemic here is stupidity. :censored:

• Like 3
  • Authorized Vendor

I stay home most all the time anyway. I have plenty of stuff to keep me busy. I have ventured to the store one or twice for stuff but usually go during old folks hour in the morning and with gloves, a mask and anti-bacterial wipes and of course my glasses. Things down my way aren't terribly crazy yet so I'm usually in and out in a few minutes without much contact. If things keep getting worse I won't be going out at all. For me we have plenty of stuff so it just isn't worth it. 

I know if we don't get people back to work soon there won't be an economy worth re-starting. My heart goes out to everyone that has lost a job or watching their business crumble because of some lying, communist assholes in China....pardon my French.

• Like 4

In have to get out and work when I can, stay at home when I do not have work. Wife stays home and only goes to the store for supplies. I am thing about fishing this weekend if I can dig a few worms.

I'm fortunate that I can work from home.  But I am also essential, so I have been out for work trips.  Traffic here in Knoxville, is very light, compared to Pre COVID-19 times. I think a lot of people have taken this seriously and are staying home. 

All that being said, I estimate that over half of all workers a have been deemed essential.  So there are going still be a lot of people out and about.

My wife and I are staying home except for a couple store trips. I am good now for another 2 to 3 weeks. 

We need our yard mowed and our granddaughter mows it for us. I have asthma and it is hard for  me to do.  I wonder if it is ok to go and haul her mower over here(Lascassas) and then take her back (Walter Hill)? It is a 10 mile trip one way. Wont be in a crowd. Does anyone know the answer? 

I have to work M-F. My wife has ordered groceries online and I've picked them up.   We sanitize everything (including me) in the garage before bringing it into the house.  

My family has left the house once in 2 weeks. We got take out for supper last Saturday, ate it while sitting in the van at a scenic spot, and drove the long way home. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

I'm retired. Wife works from home and she shops for if needed. I have plenty of projects buuutttt....... If I just want to go for a ride with no human interaction.
I’ve been locked in my home for 5 months due to a medical situation. 7 trips to the ER. Now I’m on the mend after surgery, I want to get a look at life, smell some fresh air, trees, see my neighborly farm animals, some babbling brooks, etc. No harm in that!
22 staples removed yesterday from surgery! You bet I need out! Major cabin fever and going bat #### crazy!
Light duty for now. But finally can get out of here once in awhile.

Some people don't get it and are crowded in Lowes and stuff. I see no reason for that but total lock down except for essentials? BS!

Edited by BHunted
1 hour ago, Moped said:

affic here in Knoxville, is very light, compared to Pre COVID-19 times. I think a lot of people have taken this seriously and are staying home. 

This hasn't been my experience at all. Each time I have to venture out I've encountered a lot of people. Traffic has been a lighter, but certainly not what I would expect it to be. I mentioned in the other thread that every park was full last Saturday. People were even throwing tailgate cookouts in the parking lots.  I drove through Sequoyah hills and landscaping crews were putting new mulch down at the mansions. Apparently that is "essential" work. 

• Like 1

I'm not talking about people who have to work. I understand about that. But this was around 2:00pm and most of the traffic was ordinary cars, not work or delivery vehicles. I swear it looked like a regular day before the virus. Maybe a bit busier. :mad:

I also get that sometimes you need to go to the store. But that still doesn't account for that many people out there. With so many places closed, where can all these people be going? 

3 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm not talking about people who have to work. I understand about that. But this was around 2:00pm and most of the traffic was ordinary cars, not work or delivery vehicles. I swear it looked like a regular day before the virus. Maybe a bit busier. :mad:

I also get that sometimes you need to go to the store. But that still doesn't account for that many people out there. With so many places closed, where can all these people be going? 

My next door neighbor went to Home Depot to get parts to repair a leaking toilet.  He said the garden center was swamped with people buying plants, etc.  🙄

3 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

My next door neighbor went to Home Depot to get parts to repair a leaking toilet.  He said the garden center was swamped with people buying plants, etc.  🙄

I had to go to Lowe's last weekend because I needed some hardware to repair the mower. I saw the same thing. Tons of people essentially buying landscape supplies. Mulching my plants is the last thing on my mind right now. And if I didn't want the mower secondarily as a means to haul stuff on the property, I would have probably just waited. Plus 1/2 or more of the people I saw were 50+. 😟

• Like 1

I go out as needed to get things.  I will go to HD or Lowes once or twice a week as I am working on finishing out my shop and need some things to continue.  I'm not waiting a month to get some screws or things I need to make progress while sitting at home.    I go in, get what I need, and leave avoiding as much interaction as possible.  I will also go through a drive through to get food.

My closest neighbors are about 1/4 mile away so not worried about being out and about on my own land.  I am cautious, but not reckless.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, pop pop said:

My wife and I are staying home except for a couple store trips. I am good now for another 2 to 3 weeks. 

We need our yard mowed and our granddaughter mows it for us. I have asthma and it is hard for  me to do.  I wonder if it is ok to go and haul her mower over here(Lascassas) and then take her back (Walter Hill)? It is a 10 mile trip one way. Wont be in a crowd. Does anyone know the answer? 

I wouldn't do it Pop Pop. You are in the group with the highest death risk. (so am I) Your grass isn’t worth dying over. Maybe your granddaughter will find someone else that can haul the mower. Or just wait.

I doubt you would be stopped, but I would also guess that wouldn’t be considered essential.

I haven’t been out of the house in 24 days. I hate it that my wife goes to work. But she works in food processing.

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

This hasn't been my experience at all. Each time I have to venture out I've encountered a lot of people. Traffic has been a lighter, but certainly not what I would expect it to be. I mentioned in the other thread that every park was full last Saturday. People were even throwing tailgate cookouts in the parking lots.  I drove through Sequoyah hills and landscaping crews were putting new mulch down at the mansions. Apparently that is "essential" work. 

I've not been downtown or to Sequeyah Hills.  I was in Fountain City, Halls, then Alcoa Hsy and John Seiver.  Just not a lot of traffic on Tuesday, when I was out.  Construction was still going on in Halls and on Alcoa Hwy.  About all the non-essential retail shops I saw were closed.  My wife and I went to Home Depot yesterday afternoon, on Schaad Road and it was pretty busy. Then we drove out to my daughter's house to fix a window.  About half the traffic was tractor trailers on the interstate.  Did notice a lot of the cars on the interstate were from out of state.  On the way back home, yesterday eveing, we stopped at Buddy's and picked up some food.  We were third in line at the drive thru.  That was around 7pm. 

I will say it seems most everyone is taking this in stride and not very excited.  While we were at Home Depot, they put up some soft barriers of made from buckets of concrete and 2x4s and caution tape.  I don't know what for, but I heard a couple of people grousing about all the excitment over COVID-19 and how it was a bunch of hype. 

I'm staying in as much as possible. I am refusing to do appraisals that require an interior inspection. FNMA put out guidelines no longer requiring interior inspections on most of their products. Unfortunately investor grade paper, which most banks do some of, is still pushing for interiors. We've done the grocery thing and my freezer is always well stocked.

I could probably use 50 pounds of sugar as a hedge against the liquor stores closing...lol.

All y'all be smart and stay safe.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

I haven't gone out in public but once or twice in the last three weeks.  The trips I made were out of necessity.  Well, I made a trip to the local outdoor range last weekend to sight-in the optic on a pistol.  That was kind of necessary.  :)

My company sent me and my team home the second week of March when we realized how bad this C19 thing might end up being.  We were told on a Wednesday to gather up our laptops, anything else we might need for a few weeks, and go home and please stay away from crowds of people.  The company could make do without us if they absolutely had to, but it wouldn't be easy and it would be very costly.

I used to think working from home 100% of the time would be pretty awesome.  I don't hate it at all, but I do need to create a better routine for myself.  Sitting at this desk all day isn't good.

My sister-in-law's husband  is in the news media biz.  He's "essential" but also goes to an empty broadcast booth, in an empty building, and entertains some of you for several hours each weekday.  Then he comes back to our house where he and she have been living for far longer than they'd have probably wanted.  They were staying with us after my daughter was born, to help my wife out, and then the whole world got turned on its head.

We're not in any rush to kick them out and they're tolerating being here.  It gives me a few extra people on my fire team once the zombies attack, too.

Anyway, I get news of the outside world from him and he goes and scavanges remote country stores for food and supplies on his way to and from work.   It's a good system.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Admin Team

I just talked to a friend in New York. She lives in the city - in Brooklyn.

She said that all you hear is sirens - all night long - it's maddening.

She said that it's so bad there that anyone who can stay in - absolutely is.  No one is going out that doesn't absolutely have to.

Mostly. I got my hunting and gathering done. The only appraisal work I'm accepting is drive by, after all I am the target audience for CV19. And I do walk the dog a couple of times a day. Hmmmm sounds like what retirement will be like.....

Both of us are retired, I have lots and lots of odd jobs to do around the house and spend a lot of time in the "hobby room"  on rainy days.  On sunny days I try and do an odd job or two outside just to get out of the house, and I did go fishing today, ramp parking lot was OVER FLOWING.  Next week the weather looks crappy again, so.  We go thru a drive thru at times, run to the grocery store once a week as needed but stay home for the most part.