Ruger speed six 9mm

The Speed Sixes are more popular than ever right now.  The 9mm is a love or hate relationship in a Speed Six.  About a year ago GTs had one that was three inch and stainless with I’ll fitting Pachmayr grips.  I thought the 699 price was a little high and it must have been because it hung around a few months. I looked at it and said I would rather have one in 357 for about a $100 less.  They said it was funny because multiple people had said the same thing. Typically a heavier bullet does better in a 9mm revolver. 

43 minutes ago, loadedp3at said:

I need moon clips for this. Can someone recommend some of does anyone have some old ones they would get rid of?

I have only used moon clips from TK Customs. They are a quality product. I don’t see any listing for the Speed Six, but I think those for the Security Six would be the same. You would need to verify that though.

https://tkcustom.com/products/ruger-security-6-9mm-032-ss

You will probably also want a loading tool.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2

Photos?     We always like to see photos, especially of guns that are all steel except for the grips.  :)

I have a stainless Security Six that I've had from '85.    Don't expect I'll ever sell it.   

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

Can someone give me a good value for this? People has been all over the place telling me a value and I don't know if they are just trying to get me to sell or what?!?

Don’t want to be mean, but no one could put a value on your gun with those pictures. What would you say the condition of your gun is? Do you have the original box and paperwork? What are people that have seen the gun telling you the value is?

If you gun is average, with no box, I would say $500-$600 if you found someone that wanted a 9mm. I’m assuming you don’t have a box and paperwork because you don’t have moon clips. I’m also assuming its in average condition. It is somewhat rare, but without the box and documentation, and without being in excellent condition, it probably won’t get the attention of someone wanting it for collectability and willing to pay those $800-$900 prices.

Gun Broker only shows 5 9mm complete auctions. Three of those had no bids because the starting price was too high. The two that sold were really nice with boxes and documentation.

Starting bid 895 sold for 895 (1 bid), Stainless, 2.75” The description say “Very good to excellent” the pictures show it is in excellent condition, has box, paperwork and moon clips.

Starting bid 700 sold for 810 (3 bidders), Blue, Like New, the pictures reflect that, has box, moon clips and paperwork.

These did not sell, even though 2 of the three were excellent.

950 no bids, Did not sell, Stainless, 2.75” The description say “Very nice condition” the pictures reflect that, no box.

800 no bids, Did not sell, Stainless, 2.75” The description says 99% with no box, the pictures reflect that.

850, no bids, Did not sell, Blue, 2.75” The description says “gently used”, the pictures show it is rough. No box.

• Like 1

I agree with DaveTN.  Like I posted previously, the 9 is worth more but most would just assume have a 357.  IT may be a Ruger Revolver collector that will pay the most.  It’s not collector grade, in fact far from it, but it’s a 9mm which the collectors like. Most collectors want NIB. Many do like shooter grade.  The average gun buyer and shooter will prefer the Speed Six in 357. Now the 9mm is les scommon and really worth more but the 357 or 38 sells faster and for even less money.  I see it bringing $600 on Gunbroker very easily. I see 500 very easily as a private party sale on this forum or armslist. 

• Like 1

Without trying to be smart, what did you trade for it? It's worth at least that much to you...

You could approach potentially getting rid of this revolver with that in mind: Would you take whatever is on offer (cash or trade) for whatever it is you originally gave for this Ruger?

On 4/6/2020 at 5:25 PM, Patton said:

The Speed Sixes are more popular than ever right now.  The 9mm is a love or hate relationship in a Speed Six.  About a year ago GTs had one that was three inch and stainless with I’ll fitting Pachmayr grips.  I thought the 699 price was a little high and it must have been because it hung around a few months. I looked at it and said I would rather have one in 357 for about a $100 less.  They said it was funny because multiple people had said the same thing. Typically a heavier bullet does better in a 9mm revolver. 

I agree on the .357 for $100 less. Some people hate the revolvers in auto calibers. I watched a Yankee Marshall video about this. He just don't get it at all. Basicly he said if you want a 9mm, .40 or .45 get it in an auto. I don't have a problem with them. If you like'em go for it.

I watch Yankee Marshal’s videos but he reminds me of a spoiled brat. I will actually disagree totally with auto caliber revolvers; they have a place. Forget about 9mm being out of stock everywhere right now but 9mm is between 38 and 357 energy wise. I shoot mostly 357 Golden Sabers because they are the equivalent of 9mm. The 9mm revolver just isn’t worth more in my opinion.

A S&W 625 in 45auto is the cheapest new N frame; mine was $725 OTD. My S&w 625 auto is very fast and 45acp is the second most available pistol ammo at Sportsman’s Warehouse right now behind 40s&w. I do not require moon clips to shoot mine. I let gravity shake the empty cases out and stuck cases can be picked out with a fingernail or the rim of another cartridge. I actually wished my 625 was a 610 but the 610 is way too much money. I get free 40 ammo. My 625 is a great replacement for a 629 44mag. Most people that own a 629 would probably really be better off with a 625. The reason I say that is magnum loads for a 629 can be found fairly easy but 44 specials are expensive and not as easily found. A lot of 629 owners would probably shoot their 629 is 44 spl was as cheap and common as 45acp. I can load some really hot 45 which is fine for defense against everything in the 48. Speaking of loading, I keep meaning to get some 45 Auto Rim cases just because. 

Edited by Patton
47 minutes ago, Patton said:

I watch Yankee Marshal’s videos but he reminds me of a spoiled brat. I will actually disagree totally with auto caliber revolvers; they have a place. Forget about 9mm being out of stock everywhere right now but 9mm is between 38 and 357 energy wise. I shoot mostly 357 Golden Sabers because they are the equivalent of 9mm. The 9mm revolver just isn’t worth more in my opinion.

A S&W 625 in 45auto is the cheapest new N frame; mine was $725 OTD. My S&w 625 auto is very fast and 45acp is the second most available pistol ammo at Sportsman’s Warehouse right now behind 40s&w. I do not require moon clips to shoot mine. I let gravity shake the empty cases out and stuck cases can be picked out with a fingernail or the rim of another cartridge. I actually wished my 625 was a 610 but the 610 is way too much money. I get free 40 ammo. My 625 is a great replacement for a 629 44mag. Most people that own a 629 would probably really be better off with a 625. The reason I say that is magnum loads for a 629 can be found fairly easy but 44 specials are expensive and not as easily found. A lot of 629 owners would probably shoot their 629 is 44 spl was as cheap and common as 45acp. I can load some really hot 45 which is fine for defense against everything in the 48. Speaking of loading, I keep meaning to get some 45 Auto Rim cases just because. 

I’d love to have that 610 in a 6.5” also. I never cared for the N frames when I carried them on duty (many years ago), but I’d like to have it for a range toy.

I like .45ACP also, its my second favorite handgun caliber, .357 Mag is the first. Unfortunately, none of the guns in those calibers can compete with the .40S&W for capacity or concealability. 13 or 15 rounds of .40S&W, and I don’t feel the need to carry an extra mag on me.

I recently bought a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. I chose the .45 Colt for my “Cowboy Gun” because the 2nd cylinder is .45ACP and I always have that. One of the three new guns I haven’t shot yet.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Patton said:

My S&w 625 auto is very fast and 45acp is the second most available pistol ammo at Sportsman’s Warehouse right now behind 40s&w.

That cause nobody wants 40S&W... <drops bomb and walks out>   😏😉😁😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a 610...it was cool (the hot 10mm felt like catching a punch)...but honestly I find most revolvers a novelty anymore.  I keep a 38 in a drawer here or there but 99% of the time im gonna shoot an auto...anyone that thinks revolvers are less complex hasn't taken one apart and while a revolver might never jam(unless its a crap brand) its never gonna have the capacity and weight advantage of the better auto pistols.  All that being said I do find them interesting, sexy, collectible...but just a novelty with so much better range and carry choices on the market.  While im flaming on stuff I hate the recoil impulse of a 40...the only 40 I still own is my FN Hipower and I usually prefer to shoot it with the 9mm barrel.