2020 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 12-13, Spencer, TN

Stage 5:  Maquis, WWII

The Jedburgh Teams and Operational Groups from the OSS worked closely with the Maquis (French resistance fighters) in WWII to organize, equip, and lead them against the Germans.  The OSS is usually talked about as the “precursor to the CIA”, but in many ways it very much foreshadowed missions typical of the Army Special Forces.

SnMJuY1.jpg
Heavily armed members of the French Resistance to the Nazi occupiers, these Maquis are typical of the irregular soldiers who inflicted heavy losses on the Germans and kept thousands of them from the front lines. OSS often cooperated with the Maquis and provided leadership and organization to their ranks.

T0KG1hx.jpg
Known as Paul, this physician from Corsica killed three Germans with a pistol during a Maquis patrol.

Along with the difficulties of finding, communicating with, organizing, and equipping the Maquis, OSS struggled with just identifying friend vs. foe and were frequently double-crossed in the field.

[pictures from https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2016/08/18/oss-bugatti-fighting-alongside-the-maquis/]

I am pleased to announce Nightforce Optics is donating two 50% off certificates to the prize table.  These are good for one scope and a "reasonable" amount of accessories to allow toolkits, rings, bases, etc.  Their most expensive scope is $4,400 - so these things have some serious value!

Be sure to check them out at https://www.nightforceoptics.com/ if you're in need of super rugged optics of the highest quality.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRQwVmxhCyJdI2-xOCIO

Emails just went out to all approved competitors with your final details.  If you didn't get one but think you should have, check your spam filters first then let me know and we'll track down the problem.  Read it ALL and come prepared!

And no, you can't swap run times with anyone.  I hate it for you if you're last (or not where you want to be).  Blame Excel's random number generator and your general bad luck in life!

And on the WTF? side of things, what's going on with the stellar weather forecast???  I'll believe it when I see it - I'm still waiting for a hurricane, heat wave, and snowstorm all in the same weekend.

gr3WJqQ.png

We’re a little less than a week from match day. I’m guessing several of you are second-guessing yourselves right now. Maybe you didn’t get in as much training as you’d hoped. Maybe you trained you’re a$$ off and didn’t see the results you wanted to. Maybe you’ve seen all of these crazy hints and promises about what’s to come, and are intimidated as hell about trying to do all of this while 30-ish bada$$ Special Forces soldiers and even more Run N Gun regulars stand by and watch you.

Don’t be. If you signed up and just SHOW UP to start this race, you’re already better than 90% of the shooters out there who stayed home on the couch on match day. If you FINISH, no matter how long it takes you, you’ve won. Trust me – you’ll feel it just as soon as you cross that finish line – and for many days (months?) thereafter.

At some point in the course, you will ask yourself: “Why on earth am I here? I’m not ready for this. I don’t belong here.” The dirty little secret I can promise you: EVERYONE asks themselves that at some point. You DO belong here.

The satisfaction and self-image you will get from just finishing this course will stay with you forever, and is something no one can ever take away from you. Many people have found matches like these to be a turning point in their lives, and in a year or two you may not even recognize the person you have become. Just remember - for every person you see pass you, there is someone behind you wishing they could keep up with you. Look behind you every so often just to acknowledge how far you’ve come.

And before ANYONE judges anyone else as being "too slow, too fat, or too lazy" - bite your tongue and listen to their story first. Across the country at matches like these we've had people recovering from recent strokes, heart attacks, cancer, pregnancy, amputations, and any other issue you can think of; just because "F#$K CANCER", that's why! Give them an encouraging word when you pass them - it really makes a difference.

Even better - if you pass someone really struggling on the course: finish your race, set down your gear, and run back out to find that person. You can run beside them and offer them all the words of support and encouragement that you can think of - you just can't physically help them in any way.

Let's do this.

64810894.jpg

Sorry for the delays, but I'm just now getting home and back to internet service after spending all day cleaning up the course. Scores are posted:

5k Scores: https://www.practiscore.com/results/html/285b1124-15fd-4ba5-9e4c-3f6bdc8c8c1d
10k Scores: https://www.practiscore.com/results/html/92225121-8cf4-4462-a7cc-1d76c5076a5b

Now for a shower and bed. Much more to come as we unpack and process pics and video. Thanks everyone!!!

Edited by Matt in TN

Scott Berger not only shot well, but was the luckiest man of the weekend when his new best friend pulled his name out of the bucket to win the Barrett MRAD.  Rumor has it he's going 338 Lapua.

Big thanks to Barrett Firearms (https://barrett.net/) for the donation!  If you didn't shoot that M22 in 300 Norma Mag, you really missed out.  Amazing piece of machinery that you just have to experience to understand.

33p4nM2.jpg

Edited by Matt in TN

Official photos are up!  There are two folders this year as she was shooting two cameras (her "pistol" and her "rifle"!).  As always, feel free to use these however you wish, but PLEASE give photo credit to Lisa Stennett if you do.  That's all she asks in return for all her hard work.  Commercial use must have permission first.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lstennett/albums/72157716046502433/page1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lstennett/albums/72157716046700958/page1

f1gFv1k.jpg

Edited by Matt in TN
  • 2 weeks later...

My 5SFG counterpart arranged for anyone who attended to receive a match t-shirt as part of the match fee you've already paid.  I just sent all attendees an email with instructions on how to claim that shirt.

I'm posting here as well as we always have problems with spam filters and/or incorrect email addresses.  If you didn't receive an email today from me, let me know and we'll figure it out.

Here are this year's shirts:

EyZ4ei2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had some people ask about buying additional t-shirts, so Pipe Hitters Union set up an order page here:  https://www.pipehittersunion.com/products/legion-9-11-memorial-run-gun/

Full disclosure: None of this money goes to SFA if you buy a shirt. It's just a way for people to buy shirts if they want one, and for PHU to profit a little in return for helping us out this year.