Who here would take an available vaccine?

Guest BCR#1

I’m in a situation where I’m pretty “safe” going to work with minimal contact to others. We also have a decent amount of supplies and go to a small town grocery store to resupply. 
All that said, I’d like to wait and see on any vaccine released. I’m guessing they won’t follow the normal trial period timeline and I don’t care to be a guinea pig.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I would. I have more than one very high risk/immunocompromised immediate family member. My kids miss their grandparents and until either we have confirmed infection & recovery, or a vaccine, contact is necessarily limited. That’s a situation where all are suffering. 

• Like 2

This is how we get zombies

but yes of course I would. Just like I vaccinate my children and I get a flu vaccine every year, if its proven safe and effective,I don't understand why you wouldn't.  The Flu vaccine has about 48% usage rate in the US and somewhere between 20-50k deaths this year alone.  

• Like 2

I'll take it. But remember, they're saying it can take between 12-18 months to develop one. If and when they find a vaccine, the whole world is gonna want it right now!  Then there's the time to make enough to meet the demand. So I'm thinking it may be up to two years before us average folks can get it. 

I think I would let others be guinea pigs first.  I haven’t gotten a flu shot in years and have had it twice—H1N1 in 2009 and a different strain in 2002, which was a couple months after getting a flu shot.  I don’t think the vaccine caused it, but it sure as hell didn’t prevent it.  H1N1 sucked, but it was no comparison to the asswhipping the 2002 flu gave me.  It was like an atomic sinus infection + food poisoning + 30 minutes in the octagon with Chuck Liddell.  I began to seriously wonder if I would see the next week.  An overall unsatisfactory experience.  

Edited by deerslayer

I've joked we'll be getting back to normal when people argue over whether or not to get a COVID-19 vaccine for them and their kids.

I'm taking the shot as soon as the FDA says it's safe and folks more at risk have had a chance for it first (assuming supply will need some time to catch up for population en masse).

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'll take it. But remember, they're saying it can take between 12-18 months to develop one. If and when they find a vaccine, the whole world is gonna want it right now!  Then there's the time to make enough to meet the demand. So I'm thinking it may be up to two years before us average folks can get it. 

No, it doesn’t take 12-18 months to develop one. It takes that long after its developed to make sure it won’t kill you. There are several in trials right now.

Yes, I would take one in testing. But only if it was one that had been given to people and they didn’t die in the first two weeks. :) (I'm a little bit of a candy azz, but not a full blown candy azz.) And I definitely will take one when there is one that is safe. Our economy won’t recover until there is either a vaccine or a cure available to everyone.

• Like 3

Yes, long term effects must be considered. In my wife's case it wasn't the disease that killed her. It was the side effects of the meds to cure the disease that eventually got her. However, it did buy her eight more years. 

It would be a shame if they came up with a vaccine only to have people dying from it a few years down the road. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moped said:

I'd take it.  I get the flu shot every year too and it's not killed me yet.  Nor have I had the flu.

Same here. Take the flu shot every year, haven't had the flu since. Yes, if there was a proven vaccine, I'd definitely take it.

On a side note, not directly related, but I went to the VA in the 'boro this AM. Nobody at my clinic but me. weird.

Edited by Grunt67
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

No, it doesn’t take 12-18 months to develop one. It takes that long after its developed to make sure it won’t kill you. There are several in trials right now.

Yes, I would take one in testing. But only if it was one that had been given to people and they didn’t die in the first two weeks. :) (I'm a little bit of a candy azz, but not a full blown candy azz.) And I definitely will take one when there is one that is safe. Our economy won’t recover until there is either a vaccine or a cure available to everyone.

I have a feeling that some of the testing will be waived to get the vaccine out as quick as possible 

5 minutes ago, joe4vol said:

I have a feeling that some of the testing will be waived to get the vaccine out as quick as possible 

I agree, I suspect it might be waived for those that are willing to acknowledge the risks. But even as powerful as Trump is; he can’t shortcut time. I doubt anything will have FDA approval for over a year. But we just never know what can happen, when massive amounts of money is being thrown at a problem. :)

Looks like about a 50/50 split on getting or not...IF a vaccine was made available.

I'm sort of leaning(at this moment) to the "No...I'll wait and see" side of the question.

But that's only because I'm in a high risk grouping, with multiple risk factors against me.

Time will tell. I just pray it's a short time and will be good news.

• Like 1

I doubt it. I sure wouldn't take it knowing someone who really wanted it wouldn't get it if I did. I never take a flu shot. I have only a bit more faith in the medical community than I do in the media.

There's is a reason they refer to a physician as "practicing".:stir:

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Are there any good reasons why someone wouldn't want to take the vaccine? They aren't going to release an unsafe vaccine so I'll take it once it becomes available. 

Sure they will; it could kill you.

You’ve heard the saying “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.” They were talking about flu shots.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Are there any good reasons why someone wouldn't want to take the vaccine? They aren't going to release an unsafe vaccine so I'll take it once it becomes available. 

That is a huge assumption. How many drugs in my 37 years have been pulled because they were proven unsafe years after the FDA approved them? I'll take my chances with the virus since my risk profile is extremely low.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, macville said:

That is a huge assumption. How many drugs in my 37 years have been pulled because they were proven unsafe years after the FDA approved them? I'll take my chances with the virus since my risk profile is extremely low.

The vaccine is not a drug, so one is not like the other. A vaccine for a virus is virus that have been deactivated so that it prompts your body's immune system to fight the virus naturally.

No. I'm waiting 6 months or so to see what the results are. Then, I'll consider it. Note, I said "consider."  I don't take the flu shot now at age 72 and I never plan to. 

Instead, I take steps to keep my immune system as strong as possible. 

3 hours ago, Raoul said:

I'd really have to think about it. Year before last, at my family's insistence, I got a flu shot.

It damn near killed me. And that is not a joke or an exaggeration.

THIS is my reason for not getting that shot and others offered up. 

I'll go out Rafe Hollister style I guess 😎

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Raoul said:

I'd really have to think about it. Year before last, at my family's insistence, I got a flu shot.

It damn near killed me. And that is not a joke or an exaggeration.

Sure, but President Trump wasn't around to tell you to take some hydroxychloroquine with a Z pak on the side, shake it off and get back to work. :)