What is your work status [Poll]

Has your work status changed since the Virus started?   

91 members have voted

1. 1. Has your work status changed since the Virus started?

• I am retired, disabled, or was otherwise unemployed before the Virus.
    • My business or employer is closed and I am out of work.
    • My business or employer is closed but I am being paid.
    • I am working from home.
    • I am working part time at work.
    • I am working full time at work as I was before the virus.

Has your work status changed since the Virus started? Names won't be public, you can post in your answer if you want to.

I am retired from my full time job, and working part time as self employed from home. I don’t have any work now, and I don’t know if it will return or not.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 3
50 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

My job is always "open" . Everyday , 365 a year until the good Lord comes back. 

And I say "Thank You" for it every chance I get.

To you and all the others who stand in the way of danger and darkness for the rest of us...

Thank You and May God Bless and Keep you safe, one and all.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Has your work status changed since the Virus started? Names won't be public, you can post in your answer if you want to.

I am retired from my full time job, and working part time as self employed from home. I don’t have any work now, and I don’t know if it will return or not.

Very interesting thread. It does show a picture of the community. One that I sort of suspected.

Of course a poll of only 19 probably isn't a true representation of this entire group. 

Sort of like most polls, can be slanted with questions, and interpreted in many ways.

But off track, so of the 19 so far, 7 are retired in some form.

A third of us are old geezers. I knew it!

Edited by hipower
  • Haha 3

I retired 2004 after 34 years as a Postal worker. Enjoyed almost every minute of it. Have not sought out another job as I have not been bored. I have learned to keep my body and mind busy, although this this is harder because I can't get out and go like I would wish. I miss that. Doing a lot more exercise (tread mill)and lifting weights, for muscle tone, than usual. Also reading a lot. Would love to be planting flowers, but know that is unwise because I have to go where it is crowded to purchase the plants.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, btq96r said:

Someone tell the President those pills are the Coronavirus cure.  Let's see him talk about that from the podium.

Since they work by increasing blood flow, just have to convince him they help with blood flow to the lungs. 😆

1 hour ago, hipower said:

And I say "Thank You" for it every chance I get.

To you and all the others who stand in the way of danger and darkness for the rest of us...

Thank You and May God Bless and Keep you safe, one and all.

Thanks buddy , we appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Very interesting thread. It does show a picture of the community. One that I sort of suspected.

Of course a poll of only 19 probably isn't a true representation of this entire group. 

Sort of like most polls, can be slanted with questions, and interpreted in many ways.

But off track, so of the 19 so far, 7 are retired in some form.

A third of us are old geezers. I knew it!

I resemble that remark!  I retired the first time in 1993 from the USAF, now been with this job for over 20 years also.  Been working from home about 2 of those years.

• Like 1

I started working after 11 years as a stay at home parent on 3/23.  I applied long before this got bad.  As a .gov employee I am working full time and in the “elements”. 
It’s been different for sure. My wife has worked from home for 6 years anyways so that wasn’t a transition for her. What shook up the house is that she does operate out of the home and I’m out full time and my two elementary kids are here with her now all the time. My 10 year old has grown up quick since being home with his little sister. He keeps himself and her in check and out of mom’s hair.

• Like 1

I'm retired so its no big deal for me.

However, younger son has been furloughed for at least the next two weeks. Older son was a contract IT guy in a factory. One of the workers caught the virus, the placed closed down and now his job has been eliminated. They say he'll be rehired when they get back to work. But basically, he's unemployed. :censored: 

I’m a Firefighter/EMS so thankfully it’s been business as usual. We were originally bracing for lots of overtime, but if anything we have been a lot slower than usual. Just goes to show how much non-emergency stuff we deal with on a regular basis. Now that everyone thinks we are all waist deep in the virus they aren’t calling us out to their homes for petty issues. It’s been great, and let’s us focus on the real emergencies and truly sick people. What has been interesting is keeping up with the constantly changing PPE and sanitation protocols. It’s been something different almost every shift for the past month.

My wife is a Nurse that has been furloughed because the pre/post op section of the hospital she works in has been shut down for all but emergent surgeries. Which begs the question, why are the majority of the surgeries that normally go on there not emergent? The hospital told her she shouldn’t file for unemployment because there are other areas of the hospital she could work in, which is theoretically true if the waiting list for shifts wasn’t a mile long due to all the out of work nurses.

The virus might be real somewhere, but it’s not very real here. I try not to be too much of a conspiracy theorist, but I think we’ve been had. I just don’t know by whom and for what purpose.

Meanwhile we have been absolutely loving the extra time with our kids. With them out of school and baseball season cancelled we have been having a blast everyday after their homework gets done. Lots of fishing, hiking, shooting, and video games.

• Like 3

I work at a local community bank. We’ve closed the lobby and are doing everything through the drive through window and tubes. We occasionally have someone in with appointment if it can’t be avoided. It’s obviously affected our traffic but so far we have no cases within our workforce 

.gov here. “Essential” so we work regardless. I know government gets a lot of crap around here, mostly deserved, but the response to this in-house has been pretty impressive. Very measured and surprisingly well managed. The policy’s laid out for this disaster have a lot more common sense than I would have expected. Far from perfect, but as a tax payer as well, I’m pretty pleased. 

9 hours ago, maroonandwhite said:

I work at a local community bank. We’ve closed the lobby and are doing everything through the drive through window and tubes. We occasionally have someone in with appointment if it can’t be avoided. It’s obviously affected our traffic but so far we have no cases within our workforce 

Financial institution too. We have Interactive Teller Machines built into our ATMs that can do 99% of what a counter teller can via video link. We already ran them 12 hours a day 6 days a week, That has been a life saver. Lobby is closed except for limited appointments too and Drive Through is normal hours. Biggest issue has been needing to move people all around to split up departments in case someone comes down with it, Being IT, that means we seem to have found every network drop and power outlet that doesn't work. While we had disaster plan in place, I think the day-to-day considerations are going to get a lot more light. Like not having all the members of one department in one room every day. 

I have worked at the same automotive manufacturing facility for 25 years and I am now furloughed for at least two weeks. I have a feeling it will go longer. At least I have time to reload now and have a good stockpile in the makings!!!