So we've been home a while...What have you found lacking in your planning?

I’ve been on Nutrisystem since before this started. So, most of my food shows up in two boxes at my door, one dry, one frozen. :)

I haven’t had to shoot anyone, so my ammo supply is good. 

I’ve been blessed enough to have plenty of money in my bank account. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t been sick seeing what is happening to my IRA. That’s where most of my money is and like many, I’ve lost a lot.

PPE. I have a box of rubber gloves, but they are old and ripping when I try to use them. I will replace those and get some masks after the demand dies down. With bad actors both within our county and abroad seeing what this has done to our county; I suspect it will happen again.

I remember what it was like to live paycheck to paycheck trying to raise a family. That is why I support what our government is doing for workers. This must be pretty scary for those that have had their income shutoff. I hope they all come out on the other side of this okay. atWkzUf.gif

5 hours ago, RED333 said:

Yep, just a waist of good food is my worry, even with a genset, fuel wont last for ever.

Several years ago I got a bolt on tri-fuel kit for my generator from US Carburetion .  Gas/propane/natural gas option without permanent modification to your carburetor.    I caught it on a 50% off sale so that was nice.  My gas reserve is earmarked for my cars, so the propane and natural gas for the generator is my main plan.   (The main difference is the supply lines for the natural gas need to be larger due to the lower pressure than propane.)   Mine actually runs better on the propane than gas.    

The first choice is the natural gas due to the "theoretical endless supply" of natural gas to my house unless the gas company goes down.    Then switch to the propane.   

https://www.motorsnorkel.com/motor-snorkel-tri-fuel-natural-gas-propane-and-gasoline-conversion-kit-4390.html

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 2

Our main food supply issue so far has been fresh fruits and vegetables.      Wife and I enjoy them so that's what we've had to resupply several times.    Don't really have the room for a garden for vegetables, and store bought canned vegetables are a last resort.    My FIL has a good garden so I hope we can work with him this summer and do some home canning.   

Regarding fruits, I guess canned fruit will have to do.   

28 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Our main food supply issue so far has been fresh fruits and vegetables.      Wife and I enjoy them so that's what we've had to resupply several times.    Don't really have the room for a garden for vegetables, and store bought canned vegetables are a last resort.    My FIL has a good garden so I hope we can work with him this summer and do some home canning.   

If you have any space at all might look up straw bale gardening. Easy to set up and you can just pull it out when you are done. Or I have seen some good stuff grown in 5 gallon buckets. Either way you can minimize killing out grass and still get some fresh stuff. 

Yeah fruit is hard unless you have room and time to do trees. I have a small patch of strawberries, but they don't yield much since I don't do all the necessary maintenance. The lone peach tree that was  in our woods when we moved in has all the fruit disappear when it is still rock hard. I do have a lemon bush that I got from my Dad who it turn grew it from seed off a bush at my granddad's. May be a couple more years before I see anything off it though. They grow to about ping ping ball size and are completely spherical. Not the standard ones you see in the store. Not sure if that bush woudl do any good in a container. 

• Like 1

John Lovell said something in one of his most recent videos about this.  It struck home.  I've thought about this before but never had the right words for it and I think he nails it. 

"I didn't prepare enough to be generous."  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

John Lovell said something in one of his most recent videos about this. 

I might have missed him being referenced here before, but that's the first I've run across.    Love and support WPS.    Looking forward to June 1st for the kickoff of the new network.   

• Like 3
On 4/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, Trekbike said:

I might have missed him being referenced here before, but that's the first I've run across.    Love and support WPS.    Looking forward to June 1st for the kickoff of the new network.   

I haven’t committed to it yet but I think I’m going to.  

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 4/9/2020 at 6:42 PM, Trekbike said:

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

I just subscribed. I think I’m gonna like it. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 4/9/2020 at 9:42 PM, Trekbike said:

Me too. I enjoy his YouTube channel. Looking forward to his network. 

• Administrator
On 4/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, Trekbike said:

10 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

9 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I just subscribed. I think I’m gonna like it. 

Good to see some other WP's on here.  I subscribed a few days ago after he announced it.  For me it was a no-brainer.  First, John has an actual chance of providing an alternative to YouTube for 2A content with this model of being "crowd funded".  Second, when I try to struggle through content from knowledgeable people like Sean Ryan and have to count the F-Bombs, I'm really glad to support a guy who doesn't use that word like a comma.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TGO David said:

Good to see some other WP's on here.  I subscribed a few days ago after he announced it.  For me it was a no-brainer.  First, John has an actual chance of providing an alternative to YouTube for 2A content with this model of being "crowd funded".  Second, when I try to struggle through content from knowledgeable people like Sean Ryan and have to count the F-Bombs, I'm really glad to support a guy who doesn't use that word like a comma.

I came across him about a year ago and noticed something different about him from the start.     With me being a Christian, I was drawn to him from that perspective.  Liked his video content (both tactical and family), and his "real world" tactical veteran experience.      There are only two internet based "groups" I support financially, WPS and TGO.    Both are truly special groups in my opinion.    Hat's off to you TGO David and the group of mods that keep this site a great gun forum.   

@TGO David  An interview with him on the Shooter's Nation podcast would be neat.

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
39 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

@TGO David  An interview with him on the Shooter's Nation podcast would be neat.

Funny story... a friend of mine is friends with John.  I have John's cell phone number in my phone, but I've not called him yet to arrange it.

Maybe one of these days soon.  I tend to want to ask these folks questions they haven't heard elsewhere... and I'm just not sure what I want to ask him.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Funny story... a friend of mine is friends with John.  I have John's cell phone number in my phone, but I've not called him yet to arrange it.

Maybe one of these days soon.  I tend to want to ask these folks questions they haven't heard elsewhere... and I'm just not sure what I want to ask him.

If you're open to suggestion, is be curious to hear his thoughts on prepping. Specifically, how much TP is enough TP?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, TomInMN said:

If you're open to suggestion, is be curious to hear his thoughts on prepping. Specifically, how much TP is enough TP?

Did you not see his latest video on his get home duffel bag?  He had TP in it.  Was a tiny tiny roll.  Probably only worth about half a million or so in todays market.  :hyper:

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Haha 3
On 4/9/2020 at 7:38 AM, maroonandwhite said:

Honestly for me it’s been eye opening that I need to have more savings. Something I’ve always known but you know how that goes. Luckily my wife and I are both still working but if we were both sent home it’d be tough. 
No debt but the house but still.....

I keep seeing people in tears because they are scared to go to work in places open to the public . I’m sure most of them don’t have the option to just take off and go home. 

On the material side. I want to get plenty of propane stocked up for my dual fuel generator along with a decent plan to manually pump water from my deep well. 

www.simplepump.com

CHeck out Wranglerstar on youtube. He just installed one. I'm ordering mine as soon as I know I'm not deadified...

On 4/9/2020 at 12:55 PM, Trekbike said:

Check in to sprouting and also Kratky hydroponics. Very little start up funds and you can have leafy greens in 30-40 days.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Mark A said:

Nothing wrong with keeping a freezer or 2 of frozen food. If we end up in an extended grid down situation just have a plan to can and dehydrate most of it.

Feed the rest to your neighbors.

Before or after it goes bad? lol

What have I found lacking in planning?  A lot. No one expected the government to shut down society and the economy.  This situation has gotten 100% out of hand.

What’s going to happen the next time a new strain of flu or some other unknown virus comes along?  The only sure thing is it will happen again.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3