Hi everyone

My name is Jason, my family and I moved to Granville, TN, from Ft. Pierce, FL, on Nov 6th of last year. I love firearms, since a young boy, and currently own 74 of them. 
Well, today I had my first firearm transferred to a gun store in Cookeville, TN from Classic Firearms. I got a big, fast, DENY. This has never happened before. In FL, I usually get a Proceed in a minute or two. The store owner immediately filed an appeal. I found this forum because I’ve been going crazy ever since then, reading articles, forums. Wondering what in the world is going on. 
Anyhow, I hope it gets turned over soon, thanks for reading! 

I used to be a firearms dealer. A denial is fairly common with the Tennessee background check system. This state has it's own background check system. I probably had about 5% denied. About 80% of the denials were approved within 72 hours of submitting an appeal. The TICS people are probably overwhelmed by all the gun purchases going on right now. I would not be too worried about it for a couple of days.

• Like 1

I read you're from Ft. Pierce...small world.  I hope to escape from the Treasure Coast and join you up there in another 2.5 years.  It'll certainly take me some time to get used to the differences regarding gun laws in TN versus FL.  Some of those differences I feel are good, some not so much.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, billyblazes said:

I read you're from Ft. Pierce...small world.  I hope to escape from the Treasure Coast and join you up there in another 2.5 years.  It'll certainly take me some time to get used to the differences regarding gun laws in TN versus FL.  Some of those differences I feel are good, some not so much.

I moved to Ft Pierce (Kings Hwy near US-1, Portofino Shores) from Ft Lauderdale/ Davie in 2009. Back then I was trying to escape S Florida. In 2009 Ft Pierce was pretty rural, much like Davie when I was young. The rest of S FL figured that out too and moved north. The house I bought in 2009 was super cheap and I sold it for a lot more than I paid for it. We used the profit to buy our dream home/ land here in TN. 
I wish you luck in getting out of FL. In my case, my employer, who has an office in Nashville, let me transfer. 
It really is beautiful up here, especially in the hills and mountains. 

On 4/8/2020 at 10:38 PM, Eray said:

I used to be a firearms dealer. A denial is fairly common with the Tennessee background check system. This state has it's own background check system. I probably had about 5% denied. About 80% of the denials were approved within 72 hours of submitting an appeal. The TICS people are probably overwhelmed by all the gun purchases going on right now. I would not be too worried about it for a couple of days.

The gun store owner said the people at TICS were working from home because of this virus. How he knows that, I don’t know. He also said that some of his regular customers who haven’t been denied have been denied recently. 
it’s frustrating. The firearm I tried to purchase was just a Heritage Arms .22 LR revolver which I bought to fire shot shell and birdshot. Only because my semi auto .22’s won’t cycle it. I wasn’t particularly excited about this purchase, like I was the SOCOM 16 and S&W 500 revolver I bought last November. 
However, virus or not, the law shouldn’t be able to shut down a man with no criminal record on a legal purchase. I thought for sure I’d get the call from my gun store to come pick it up by Friday. Here it is Sunday night and the phone has been silent. 
Hopefully I’ll have good news tomorrow.  

On 4/10/2020 at 7:02 AM, PoofNoEyeBrows said:

Welcome to the patron state of shooting stuff.

I love it. I moved onto 32 secluded acres here. I’ve always dreamed of being able to shoot on my own property. Here it is. On weekends, I hear distant gunshots from other people in our area too. Livin’ the dream.