Social Distancing Doesn't Work!

14 hours ago, gregintenn said:

If that is the case, where did the lab get the virus. I was under the impression it was new.

The Corona virus came from either bats or pangolins. Scientists study diseases in other critters to get an understanding of our own viruses. Many diseases from animals cannot cross-over to humans but some can so scientists study them. An example of animal viruses cross-over is influenza (flu) which largely comes out of China.

I don't know if recent science has demonstrated otherwise, but 23 years ago I was taught that the flu virus is "native" to ducks. Humans cannot get the flu from ducks because there's too much difference in our biology. In China, ducks and pigs mingle together on the farms, and pigs certainly CAN get virus transmission from ducks because they have some biological traits similar to ducks. The virus passes from the ducks to the pigs where it adapts to the pigs using the pig's cells to create a pig version of the flu. Humans can get viruses from pigs because our biology is more similar to the pig's than the duck's. The farmers get the new flu virus from their pigs and transmits it to other humans to spread further. Solution? Keep the damned ducks away from the pigs!

So it seems that in the case of the Corona virus we share enough biological similarity to the bat that we get this particular virus directly transmitted from them. It went into the first human host and used it's cells to replicate and spread. Since it seems to be extremely contagious, and we have no natural immunity to it, it's much more deadly.

• Like 1

I bet if enough research is done folks will find out that most every damn virus type disease originated in China over the last 100 years. They can make the damn things but can't control them and leave that part up to the rest of the world to fix!!!!….JMHO  

55 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I bet if enough research is done folks will find out that most every damn virus type disease originated in China over the last 100 years. They can make the damn things but can't control them and leave that part up to the rest of the world to fix!!!!….JMHO  

I would guess what happened in China, could happen here if someone violated safety protocols. I would bet we work on things far more deadly than a virus here. The “fault” comes from experts saying China hid the problem, lied about the severity, and possibly even imprisoned or killed those who were trying to notify others of what happened.

However, after this is over there will be plenty of finger pointing, accusations, and calls for impeachments, investigations, and hearings.

Now the news is talking about how different people or states are going to sue China. All that will accomplish is attorneys getting paid by the states or the Fed, while the victims get nothing, because China is not going to pay us anything.

Hopefully, what will happen is that the people that think a “Global Economy” is a good idea will have their eyes opened.

Chinese pharmaceutical companies have supplied more than 90 percent of U.S. antibiotics, vitamin C, ibuprofen and hydrocortisone, as well as 70 percent of acetaminophen and 40 to 45 percent of heparin in recent years, according to Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations.Mar 11, 2020

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/economy/coronavirus-china-trump-drugs.html

China could shut off our antibiotics. That’s pretty scary.

As people who know me know, I try my hardest to buy American made when I can. But sometimes I can’t. Computers, TV’s, cameras, cell phones, etc; I (like everyone else) have to buy foreign made. But the most important items, guns, motorcycles, liquor :); I can still buy American Made.

I don’t buy foreign made guns. But recently I had convinced myself it was okay to buy a Holosun red dot because they have very good reviews, were at one time low cost, and apparently high quality. This virus issue snapped me back into reality. I don’t know if any of the red dots offered by American companies are actually made here; but I have to find out. I’m not spending my money with China if I don’t have to. That’s how they will pay for what they did.

16 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I would guess what happened in China, could happen here if someone violated safety protocols. I would bet we work on things far more deadly than a virus here. The “fault” comes from experts saying China hid the problem, lied about the severity, and possibly even imprisoned or killed those who were trying to notify others of what happened.

However, after this is over there will be plenty of finger pointing, accusations, and calls for impeachments, investigations, and hearings.

Now the news is talking about how different people or states are going to sue China. All that will accomplish is attorneys getting paid by the states or the Fed, while the victims get nothing, because China is not going to pay us anything.

Hopefully, what will happen is that the people that think a “Global Economy” is a good idea will have their eyes opened.

China could shut off our antibiotics. That’s pretty scary.

As people who know me know, I try my hardest to buy American made when I can. But sometimes I can’t. Computers, TV’s, cameras, cell phones, etc; I (like everyone else) have to buy foreign made. But the most important items, guns, motorcycles, liquor :); I can still buy American Made.

I don’t buy foreign made guns. But recently I had convinced myself it was okay to buy a Holosun red dot because they have very good reviews, were at one time low cost, and apparently high quality. This virus issue snapped me back into reality. I don’t know if any of the red dots offered by American companies are actually made here; but I have to find out. I’m not spending my money with China if I don’t have to. That’s how they will pay for what they did.

US companies moved manufacturing to China because of their cheap (slave) labor, and lack of pollution controls. What I hope to see come from this is America's realizing that this is a VERY bad idea, and bring manufacturing back to the US regardless of the increased costs. Significant pressure needs to be applied to corporate America to come off China's labor teat. Not sure companies like Walmart would survive that way, but I'm sure they can adapt if they tried.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

US companies moved manufacturing to China because of their cheap (slave) labor, and lack of pollution controls. What I hope to see come from this is America's realizing that this is a VERY bad idea, and bring manufacturing back to the US regardless of the increased costs. Significant pressure needs to be applied to corporate America to come off China's labor teat. Not sure companies like Walmart would survive that way, but I'm sure they can adapt if they tried.

Medical is also an issue. Other than taking a few years off to be a civil servant, I have worked in manufacturing for nearly 50 years. Until the last 10 years (for me), insurance was never an issue, it was just a given. I could not have taken my last job if I did not have insurance through my wife’s job; the cost was just too high.

When manufacturing was booming, they were paying the bills for medical. If it comes back the only insurance issue will be for those that can’t work, won’t work, or their companies won’t pay the insurance.

I agree with you 100% Dave and I will go out of my way any time to buy American.  I do own a few foreign pistols from Brazil but my long guns are all American. The only foreign guns I have are my Bersa's and everything else is American. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to buy American and if the drug companies are smart they will come back state side along with most all other manufacturing. I mean the products are suppose to be American and just made with cheap slave labor but yet most of the products say Made in China on them. They should say made in America and assembled in China but China takes credit for the entire product!!!