What .22 Rifle Would You Recommend?

So, I've had this hobby for years now, but never actually owned a .22 rifle. Shocking I know. But I've bought quite a bit of .22 lately and want a rifle to plink around with. I was thinking of just a Ruger 10/22. Is there anything else I should be looking at? 

There is a great big long list of outstanding .22 rifles.  Do you just want to plink around or make single, ragged holes at 50 yards?

The 10/22 is an excellent 1st and has been for millions over the years.  There is also basically unlimited customization options if you ever get bored with it.

13 minutes ago, Garufa said:

There is a great big long list of outstanding .22 rifles.  Do you just want to plink around or make single, ragged holes at 50 yards?

The 10/22 is an excellent 1st and has been for millions over the years.  There is also basically unlimited customization options if you ever get bored with it.

My intention right now is to just find something to plink around with. Now that will probably change in the future, but any excuse to add another gun to the collection is a good excuse right?? :)

I second the Model 60. You can find a used one for about 1/2 of a 10/22. Even brand new they are $180 vs. $230 for the standard 10/22. 10/22 has more options though

Since it is tube fed I made speed loaders out if pex Makes the plinking more fun. 

I also have a Savage 64f. Limited to 10 round mags, but a whopping $129 brand new at BassPro. Mine came with a scope also. May have been a bit more, but I won mine in a raffle. 

10 minutes ago, SouthernLion said:

My intention right now is to just find something to plink around with. Now that will probably change in the future, but any excuse to add another gun to the collection is a good excuse right?? :)

Indeed.  The thing is, there is no “one” .22 rifle.  :lol:  There is also nothing more fun to shoot.

There is no shortage of them in all flavors. Semi, bolt, pump, lever, tube fed, mag fed, etc., and endless sources to acquire them.   You might be able to find some 70 year old beater for less than two bills that will outshoot anything made today.

• Like 7

Yeah, 22's may have as large of range of not only type, but cost as any caliber out there.  This is my latest.  A bit overkill for most :)

spacer.png

I personally would also recommend a CZ as the best quality/fit/finish to cost 22.  It's the only current production rifle under $500 I think one could realistically think of as something to pass down if that is something to consider.  Most of the modern manufacturers (Savage, Marlin, CZ) will be fairly decent (1 MOA or less) in the accuracy dept.  Ruger can be hit or miss ( They all can, but I think you have better odds with CZ and Savage).  There are lots of options.  I would pick the one that calls out to me in the price range I wanted to spend and not worry too much.  For plinking, any of them will do fine.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
23 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Yeah, 22's may have as large of range of not only type, but cost as any caliber out there.  This is my latest.  A bit overkill for most :)

spacer.png

Damn it man!!!:bow:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, peejman said:

I'd suggest a bolt gun, it'll make you slow down. I find I tend to just bang away with a semi-auto and don't really focus on the fundamentals. 

A Savage Mark II with bull barrel is a very affordable and ridiculously accurate good choice.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

A Savage Mark II with bull barrel is a very affordable and ridiculously accurate good choice.

Agree.  This one https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/71899 for $200 is great, but it really needs a new stock.  The Savage plastic stocks are terrible and that's being nice.  For the money, you can get a nice Boyds in the flavor you want and still be under $400.    I have this exact model and it does shoot well.

If you can find one a winchester wildcat worth a look. Handled one at the nra show last year really liked supper easy to disassemble for cleaning and they take 10/22’mags. There is also nothing wrong with a 10/22 in any configuration.

Hard to pick just one. I like my 10-22 Takedown, I swapped out the stock for a thumbhole stock by Hogue and added a red dot. But I agree with the others there are lots of great .22 rifles to choose from and once you get started you may find yourself owning a few. I have 7 or so (there may be another one or two I'm forgetting) rifles and probably near that many .22 handguns. I had my Ruger American bolt out earlier this week, I put a scope on it and it does a nice job ringing the steel. It takes the same magazines as the 10-22. If I could only pick one it would probably be my Marlin 39a levry but that is considerably more expensive and if you're just getting started save that for after your hooked.

I have been thinking about adding a Marlin 60, just because they're cheap, a lot of fun and very accurate for the price. Lot to be said for a tube feed, no extra cost in magazines.

You didn't specify any particular type of action. Great rifles come in all types.  Do you have a preference? You also didn't mention a price range. 

Hard to go wrong with a simple old Marlin. You can pick up a good used Model 60 semi-auto pretty cheap. They also make a number of excellent bolt actions that can also be found used and cheap. Nothing fancy, but they just plain work.  :up:

I've got an old Rossi Model 62 Pump that's amazingly accurate. That, a brick of ammo and a set of swingers makes for a really fun afternoon. :D

I own a 10/22, but I really consider the stock version to be a starter kit. It'll do, but you really need to add another $100 or so in aftermarket parts to make it good. 

There's plenty of .22 rifles out there. Just take your pick. ;)

I have a 10 22 takedown and a Marlin mdl 60. I use the 60 all the time. I have had bad luck with the first 10 22 and had to send it back to Ruger. They sent me a new one to replace the first one. I have a good scope on my mdl 60 Marlin and use it to rid myself of grey squirrels that have tried to eat us out of house and home. I prefer the Mdl 60 Marlin over the Ruger 10 22. 

The 10/22 is a good rifle.  I've had one since 1977 and it has been accurate and reliable.  However it doesn't get much range time since I purchased a Henry 22.  There are many good choices in this caliber.

Edited by tnhawk

I bough a Remington 597 years ago on sale at Bass Pro. I sold it to my BIL because he wanted a .22. He didn’t shoot it, so I bought it back. It’s a tack driver. It had a cheap Bass Pro Red Head 3x9 scope on it and it would shoot dime size groups at 25 yards all day long. I never shot it any farther than that.

I don’t know what they sell for in local gun stores now, but GAG has them for $184 or $219 with a scope. I’ve owned a lot of .22 rifles and this outshoots them all.

dtirNr3.jpg