What .22 Rifle Would You Recommend?

55 minutes ago, kvmx00 said:

No, No, No.....they are perfect for your tactical mandolin case.😀

20200319_173144.thumb.jpg.62e1c614c096949346e46099a8e23396.jpg

20200318_140413.thumb.jpg.56fe18993c0405189c0ad15dc29a5830.jpg

I have one I keep at my cabin because it stores away in it’s case compactly. No optic on it because they don’t reliably return to zero. So for me , they have only the one advantage.

1 hour ago, Pickaroon said:

I have one I keep at my cabin because it stores away in it’s case compactly. No optic on it because they don’t reliably return to zero. So for me , they have only the one advantage.

No reason it shouldn’t return to zero after reassembling.

27 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I hear good things about the CZ's.  My buddy has the Ruger Percision 22 and loves it.  We were hitting a 6in target at 200yds and 300yds on a larger target.  I've always had a 10/22.

I've got a couple of CZ .22's. Awesomely accurate.

Also have an older Remington 552 speedmaster. That on makes you laugh out loud it's so much fun.

Edited by Raoul
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Also have an older Remington 552 speedmaster. That on makes you laugh out loud it's so much fun.

Have one of those as well.  When you load it up with shorts it’s like you’re never going to run out of bullets.  :lol:

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Pickaroon said:

Not reliably returning to zero is a known issue. 

Never been a problem for me, but then again, I tighten the barrel nut down after reassembling.

Edited by Garufa
28 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Never been a problem for me, but then again, I tighten the barrel nut down after reassembling.

The issue is a receiver mounted optic and the barrel not consistently aligning when removed and reinstalled. I haven’t got an optic on mine so it’s not an issue as both sights are on the barrel.

Ruger 10/22 or S&W 15-22 for a semi-auto. I love the 15-22 as it is a great trainer for the AR15 . Both of my teenagers(and my wife and I) have done lots of up drills and box drills to learn AR mechanics for cheap! The 15-22 takes most AR accessories and some companies like Radian make 15-22 specific parts(charging handle & safety) for it. For my sample size of 2, both of the 15-22s I have owned have been more reliable and less finicky about ammo then any of my 10-22s.

As for bolt guns, the Ruger Precision Rifle Rimfire is super budget friendly and if you get a good one they can be solid little shooters. The CZ 455 has a better trigger and is slightly more accurate. Currently, I am working on a Tikka T1X .22 in a KRG chassis for myself but my kids still shoot the Ruger PRR and love it. My daughter can drop 5 shot dimes at 50 yards with the Ruger PRR and CCI standard velocity.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Pickaroon said:

The issue is a receiver mounted optic and the barrel not consistently aligning when removed and reinstalled. I haven’t got an optic on mine so it’s not an issue as both sights are on the barrel.

Receiver-mounted optic and detachable barrel can be problematic. That's why a lot of folks have gone to barrel-mounted optic (both on 10/22 and PC9 takedowns) as on the rifle in the tactical mandolin case.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:22 PM, peejman said:

I'd suggest a bolt gun, it'll make you slow down. I find I tend to just bang away with a semi-auto and don't really focus on the fundamentals. 

My first rifle was a Marlin bolt action.  If my memory is correct it was about $13.  The necessity to load and cock the hammer for each round made me learn to concentrate on the basics before firing it.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, hughd said:

What's the scoop on the T/CR22? 

It's basically an exact 10/22 clone.  I have one and it's  about what you would expect for the price.  Not the most accurate gun ever.  I put in better internal parts and am going to thread to receiver and install a custom barrel like I do for my competition guns just for something to do.

If I wanted a stock 10/22, I would probably just go with a Ruger.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Urse said:

Ruger 10/22 or S&W 15-22 for a semi-auto.

As for bolt guns, the Ruger Precision Rifle Rimfire is super budget friendly and if you get a good one they can be solid little shooters.

All of the above.  Also, the Ruger American rimfire is a handy little .22 as well.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:22 PM, peejman said:

I'd suggest a bolt gun, it'll make you slow down. I find I tend to just bang away with a semi-auto and don't really focus on the fundamentals. 

Bought the kids a Ruger American .22 bolt gun for this reason. Despite getting it for 3-4 cents per round, I still don't want to pay for them to do a mag dump every time they step up to the line. Fantastic little gun like it better than my neighbors Marlin .22 semi-auto.

• Like 2

We have a couple of .22 rifles in the house, all older bolt actions.  Everyone needs a .22 bolt action in their collection.  There are so many great semi-autos out there, that it's hard to sero in on one.  But the Ruger 10/22 would probably be it, just because of all the different accessories you can pick up for it.  It's the AR of the .22 world!  

Back in the day, I used to have a lot of fun wth a Remington Nylon 66 though.  Another I regret trading away in my old age!

I keep several 22 rifles around, I have a few cheapies like a Remington 597 and a Remington Viper that get thrown around, carried on the four wheeler, or tractor, boat, truck, whatever.  Also have a couple of nicer ones porch shooting and/or walking around the woods. 

23 hours ago, graycrait said:

This is a great little plinker for around $200.00:

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=28702

Then you can make it into this. But it is still a little plinker:)

lOSdQNg.jpg

I actually am leaning to the Mark II FVSR as of right now. Just maybe not taking it quite that far. Haha. 

Lots of ways to go, but after reading some feedback from the group, I think I want a bolt action and I would prefer it to have a threaded barrel.