Favorite 22LR you own?

Hozzie

The other thread about 22lr suggestions got me thinking about how each of us probably tend to gravitate to one caliber or type of rifle/pistol.  For me, that is 22's.  I love 22's of all sorts.

I am pretty well versed in 22's and have a lot of them including many competition guns (I shoot 22lr Benchrest), but I got to thinking about what got me started to really love them.  We don't have a lot of 22 threads on here, but I thought it would be cool (at least for me) to see what others consider to be their favorite personally owned 22 pistol and/or rifle and why.  I am sure for some it will be a handed down rifle from their parent or grandparent.  For others it may just be an era of guns, or it could be the only one you have.  I am always looking to learn more about different 22's so also hoping maybe I will see something that intrigues me that I didn't know about.  It doesn't need to be expensive or rare, just loved by you.

Let's limit it to one rifle and pistol per person.  Can be hard for those with many, but there is always that one that means just a bit more.  I'll start.

Rifle: Winchester Model 52D with 14x Unertl

spacer.png

When I first got into 22's a buddy of mine had a 52C that I shot and I fell in love.  Many years later I own a few, but this probably my favorite.  This is what got me started into thinking about shooting Benchrest and started me down the rabbit hole.  I just had it out a few days ago shooting targets.  It's still impressive to how well these old guns shoot.

Pistol: Browning Medalist

spacer.png

As you can probably see, I lean towards old classics.  I actually bought this gun on here from a fellow member.  I love older target pistols like 41's, Hi Standard's, and of course this Browning.  Something about these that once I saw one I had to have one.  The grips are amazing and it is just plain fun to shoot.  This is a shooter grade, but a pistol I smile at every time I get it out and shoot.

I hope some find this thread enjoyable.  I know most are more tactical oriented on here. 

• Like 4

Rifle: Winchester 9422. This is an early XTR  model made before they checkered the stocks.  Smooth as silk and wonderfully accurate. :D

Handgun: Smith & Wesson Model 18-3. This particular revolver was worked over by a previous owner. WO rear sight, RR front sight, smooth faced trigger and a great action job. I added a set of Butler Creek Combat grips which is what I prefer on my defensive revolvers. This is my DA practice gun and I give it full credit for teaching me to properly shoot a DA revolver. It sees more range time than any other gun I own. :up:

• Admin Team

My hands down favorite is a a 10/22 I machined from an 80% receiver and built specifically to shoot subsonics. It’s got a light Kidd trigger and a jeweled bolt - and it’s just a joy to shoot. 

Favorite pistol is a Ruger 22/45 - that maybe the only original part left is the mainspring. 

I'm not a big fan of any 22 that I own, but I'd say the nicest one I have is a Browning A-bolt that I swapped an Argentine High Power for about 20 years ago.   It's built far nicer than I can see a reason for, with a beautiful high polish blue and that typical 80s glossy finish stock.    Quite accurate too, as you might expect.

Rifle: Remington Nylon66.  Light, excellent handling, and accurate.  Still my favorite .22 rifle after all these years.  A close 2nd would be my grandfather's Marlin 39a.

Pistol: High Standard Victor.  Much more accurate than I am, reliable, and points perfectly for me.  My 2nd choice would the Colt Trooper III .22.  A true work of art and the smooth action is still amazes me.

• Like 1

Rifle:  My favorite is my German Sport Guns that Mr. Kalashnikov licensed for them to make.    Fun to shoot but is it's recommended to use high velocity or hyper velocity rounds, although it will run on bulk pack stuff if you're willing to deal with some FTE's.    Runs well enough on CCI Mini Mags.   

Handgun:   My Ruger Super Single Six convertible that I've had for 40 years.     

20200412_115110.jpg

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 1

I’ve been through a lot of 22’s, so it’s hard to pick one of each. But for a rifle I’ll say my plain Jane, cheap, Remington 597 for a rifle, as it’s the most accurate .22 I have ever owned.

dtirNr3.jpg

For a handgun it would be my S&W 617. But in all fairness, I haven’t shot my Ruger Mark IV Competition yet, and probably won’t until this emergency is over.

E49c0bz.jpg

Hozzie, you're asking too much of me! Only one of each! Wow. That's a tough one.

As for pistol...a tossup You decide. lol A HS Olympic in 22 short or a Ruger 22/45 with a <2" barrel and a cheap can. Both are amazing.

Rifle. Man that's a bit easier. A 10/22 with a Green Mountain Target Barrell and pretty much all Volquartzen internals. I got it from Dolomite a few years back. A very sweet shooter. Absolutely love it with a can!

7 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I’ve been through a lot of 22’s, so it’s hard to pick one of each. But for a rifle I’ll say my plain Jane, cheap, Remington 597 for a rifle, as it’s the most accurate .22 I have ever owned.

dtirNr3.jpg

For a handgun it would be my S&W 617. But in all fairness, I haven’t shot my Ruger Mark IV Competition yet, and probably won’t until this emergency is over.

E49c0bz.jpg

Good choices. I've had the 597 and let it go. Bad move on my part. And still want a 617, just not willing to pay for one. But as consolation prize...I do have a Taurus Tracker 22 that's fun. lol Really.

• Like 1

Favorite Rifle:  Marlin 39A.  My first .22LR I bought.

Sentimental Rifle:  Octagonal barrel Winchester Model 61 with a four digit serial number.  It was the only firearm my father owned.  He had a Lion Oil service station over in the Green Hills area in the 1930's.  He ran tabs on gas, oil, etc. for many people.  A man owed him $15.  The man left the Model 61 with him until he could pay the bill.  The man never came back.  I learned to shoot with this rifle.

Favorite Revolver:  Colt Diamondback .22LR

Favorite Semi-Auto:  Ruger Mark II Bull Barrel that Hamilton Bowen put a custom trigger on that breaks like butter.

Edited by A516
  • Like 2

Favorite rifle:  Henry H001. I don't have the history that most folk here do, but I bought the gun in 2009 when i first moved here & I lost my round a long time ago. I'd rough estimate 200k+ I've recently acquired am old Marlin model 25 &so far it's amazing. Smooth, accurate, fun to shoot & deadly on bottle caps! 

Pistol: I'm really digging this new Ruger Wrangler, but the finest I ever owned was a Ruger Standard (pre-mark) I regret selling that one hard.......

• Like 2

When I was four years old my Pop started teaching me to shoot with a .22 single shot. I wasn’t strong enough to handle it in a manly fashion, so I shot cans up , while resting it on a stool.

Fast forward to college at University of Tennessee, and I started shooting on the rifle team (club). We got to shoot Anshutz Target rifles. Later I was a member of the ARCOM Rifle Team and I shot a Winchester 52D.

Over the years, I’ve had a number of different makes and models, Nylon 66s, Mossberg Plinksters, Ruger 10/22s and a really sweet Remington 521T (still have it). But the rifle I love the most is that Winchester 67, that I learned to shoot on, back in 1967!

My favorite pistol, is a Ruger MkIII Bull Barrel Target Pistol.

• Like 2