AR Braces. Here to stay?

To the point quickly. Do you think AR pistol braces will hold the current ruling that by shouldering them they do not constitute a design change that would render them as an illegal SBR?

Don’t worry, I won’t be writing anyone a letter for clarification lol. It just drives me up the wall. 

It just seems silly to me that an SB3 or SB4 is somehow different than a true stock I’m their eyes. The SB4 especially. I know I’m talking about the crowd that thinks fore grips and pistol grips are deadly but really? It seems at this point they’d just say screw it and stop making us find solutions to get around their idiocy. 

Guest BCR#1

The only useful thing I see a blade brace being good for is a spare boat oar if you broke the real one. I have no use for any of them.

Bill

If they change their stance on braces then I think AR based pistols will still have value since the buffer tube is integral to the design -- you can manage to shoulder  a plain buffer tube in a pinch and just bear it for the duration even if not particularly comfortable.  The value of AK based pistols would simply plummet overnight though...

I don’t think it matters as much about who is in charge as it does what happens to make it an issue. A brace is a stock, period. Whoever approved it for use by the handicapped had good intentions, but of course that’s not what its used for.

I bought a pistol lower and upper separately and created an AR pistol. But of course I found it was useless without a stock, so I sold it. I didn’t want to get caught up in the “brace is a stock” drama if they outlaw them while I’m not paying attention.

The lesson I learned was that I don’t need an AR Pistol. But If I ever did, I would pay the $200 tax and go with SBR. 

Well I hope we all learned after the bump fire debacle that Trump does whatever he feels like and the laws be damned.  I love pistol “braces” but we all know what they are if Trump decides to crap on them one day I won’t be shocked I’ll just have to reconfigure as I always do.  Still amazes me Trump took more away in 1 term then Obama ever did when it comes to firearms.

9 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Well I hope we all learned after the bump fire debacle that Trump does whatever he feels like and the laws be damned.  I love pistol “braces” but we all know what they are if Trump decides to crap on them one day I won’t be shocked I’ll just have to reconfigure as I always do.  Still amazes me Trump took more away in 1 term then Obama ever did when it comes to firearms.

That was a screw-up on the part of the BATF. They are incompetent at interpreting the law and we all always knew that. But let those clowns make a decision gun owners agree with and when they get put in their place because they are inept it’s, “oh my gosh this is terrible”.

Braces are illegal. They turn a pistol into an SBR. Will that matter? Of course not. Not until there is a reason to call on the President or Congress to fix their mistake.

Only Congress should be able to make or change a law that can land you in jail if you comply with it.

They even tell you their rulings don’t have the force of law, and for you to proceed at your own risk.

ATF publishes rulings and procedures to promote uniform understanding and application of the laws and regulations it administers, and to provide uniform methods for performing operations in compliance with the requirements of the law and regulations. 

Rulings represent ATF’s guidance as to the application of the law and regulations to the entire state of facts involved, and apply retroactively unless otherwise indicated. 

Rulings do not have the force and effect of federal statutes or Department of Justice regulations, but may be cited and relied upon as precedents in the disposition of similar cases. 

In applying published rulings, the effect of subsequent legislation, regulations, court decisions, and other rulings must be considered. 

Concerned parties are cautioned against reaching the same conclusions in other cases unless the facts and circumstances are substantially the same

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest BCR#1
On 4/15/2020 at 5:28 PM, Capbyrd said:

Current events will have more impact on this issue than who is in office at the time.   All its gonna take is for a tear jerker of a story involving a brace and they are on the chopping block.  

I'm surprised Dayton Ohio isn't THAT story. Then again, it may well be one day.

Bill