I have an idea for a storm shelter.

The very way mine is built, but my wall rebar is one piece from floor to roof and the roof is 7" thick and walls are 12" block.

wall detail.jpg

Edited by RED333
Because I can
18 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Why the heck does FEMA have an app???

So they can change your settings to track your phone, record video and audio, and make a database of the guns you have. Why else would a .Gov need an app on your phone?

• 3 months later...
57 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Something I have considered is a "new" concrete septic tank, they can be had for under a $1,000.

Why do you have new in quotes, are you considering one that’s not brand spanking new to climb into?

• Haha 4
  • 1 month later...

Our house has a 8’x40’ porch. When it was being built I noticed the footings for the porch were at least 6’ deep. I asked the builder what are the plans for the porch. Normally the walls are built and filled with gravel and a slab poured on top. I told him to pour the porch footings at the same level as the house footings and build up block walls. We end up with a 8x40’ room With a concrete floor, poured and reinforced block and a poured in place 6” top. 8’ of the 10’ wall is under ground. I just need to add a 4’ door into the basement and we should have a pretty good storm shelter.

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

Our house has a 8’x40’ porch. When it was being built I noticed the footings for the porch were at least 6’ deep. I asked the builder what are the plans for the porch. Normally the walls are built and filled with gravel and a slab poured on top. I told him to pour the porch footings at the same level as the house footings and build up block walls. We end up with a 8x40’ room With a concrete floor, poured and reinforced block and a poured in place 6” top. 8’ of the 10’ wall is under ground. I just need to add a 4’ door into the basement and we should have a pretty good storm shelter.

And one heck of a storage depot!

12 hours ago, hipower said:

And one heck of a storage depot!

My parents had a space like that under their porch.  It was a lot of storage room.  Just becareful, it will stay damp, if you don't take steps to seal it and de-humidify it.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

I put in a bunch of these shelters at work before I retired.  We used a 2-piece design, like a giant septic tank for 14 people with a door in each end.  Make your doors open inward.  Have 2 exits, on different sides, even if one is a 2' x 2' escape hatch.  The doors should have 2 bars at 1/3rd points.    You can build the top by making a ledge with a half-size 8" or 10" block for the last row.  Use corrugated metal floor decking as a base and pour the lid in place.  Tie rebar on a 10 to 12” grid and down into to the walls with a minimum of 3' lap splice.  I'd use #3.  I'd make the top 6" thick, so size the corrugated metal for that, or support well from the bottom until it cures. 

Edited by Colt4530