Don't ever sucker punch a cop...............

Guest BCR#1

Before the officer goes back to the shop to open the door he's fidgeting with something on his belt. I thought it was a remote door popper to release the furry fury but clearly it wasn't. Does anyone know if those are in use by K-9 officers anywhere? I'd think it would be a very useful thing for them.

Edited by monkeylizard
17 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I thought it was a remote door popper to release the furry fury but clearly it wasn't. Does anyone know if those are in use by K-9 officers anywhere? I'd think it would be a very useful thing for them.

I was under the impression that they all(or at least most) had that feature. I've seen it in numerous police videos over the years. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Before the officer goes back to the shop to open the door he's fidgeting with something on his belt. I thought it was a remote door popper to release the furry fury but clearly it wasn't. Does anyone know if those are in use by K-9 officers anywhere? I'd think it would be a very useful thing for them.

I have no idea, but it was big. Maybe the mic or controller for his radio?

He got an “Officer needs assistance” call out, because you hear the guy filming say “Oh, I hear more cops”. :)

44 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Maybe it broke-di-did! :shrug: 

Looks like he was pressing the remote control to lower the window for the dog, but was having issues with it so he manually opened the door.

What does it say about the two knuckleheads who didn't even think to help or call for help for the officer?  Once upon a time that was a crime also, not rendering assistance.

I guess in New York, a K9 is considered an "impact" level of force. I would have expected it to be higher on the continuum, especially in New York, but I'm glad it wasn't :)

9 hours ago, CrosbyStills said:

Looks like he was pressing the remote control to lower the window for the dog, but was having issues with it so he manually opened the door.

What does it say about the two knuckleheads who didn't even think to help or call for help for the officer?  Once upon a time that was a crime also, not rendering assistance.

I guess in New York, a K9 is considered an "impact" level of force. I would have expected it to be higher on the continuum, especially in New York, but I'm glad it wasn't :)

A lot of cops I have talked to say to never get involved and just dial 9-1-1 and let the "police do their job".  It is kind of hard to be a hero to an officer in need when so many law enforcement agencies have the policy of telling the civilians to stay out of police matters.    Not sure why he turned his back to the suspect, that was a risky move . If the guy was a little quicker (thankfully intoxicated and out of his wits) that knife he was carrying could have went into the officer..  Maybe, as some say he had malfunctioning remote dog door/window.

I am no expert here, but also, if there is a K-9 unit and you get in the middle of the fray are these police dogs trained to know who is the perpetrator and who is the Good Samaritan trying to help the officer fend off the bad guy?

Edited by 4Freedom
53 minutes ago, 4Freedom said:

I am no expert here, but also, if there is a K-9 unit and you get in the middle of the fray are these police dogs trained to know who is the perpetrator and who is the Good Samaritan trying to help the officer fend off the bad guy?

Cops get bit by K9’s all the time. Just like they get maced, and hit with night sticks and flashlights during fights. (I absolutely know that to be a fact. :) )You wouldn’t want to get involved when a K9 is attacking a perp. I’m sure some dogs are trained better than others, but I wouldn’t risk it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Cops get bit by K9’s all the time. Just like they get maced, and hit with night sticks and flashlights during fights. (I absolutely know that to be a fact. :) )You wouldn’t want to get involved when a K9 is attacking a perp. I’m sure some dogs are trained better than others, but I wouldn’t risk it.

Yup, seen it happen on live pd a couple times.  If it was me I'd wait until ths k9 was restrained before going in.

On 4/20/2020 at 7:03 PM, DaveTN said:

Yup, I've got a few flashlight dings in my noggin and elbows in my nose when the fists are flying in the melee. FWIW, we used to actually play "tag" with OC spray, and prank each other's lunch by adding the spicy cayenne additive to each other's chicken sammiches.  Nowadays you hear people claiming their baby is gonna go blind when they get hit with OC. I just laugh knowing how much I've had shot at me.  You wanna know pain, I watched a 19 year old addict having meth OD issues. Paramedics could not get her heart rate to stop escalating.  Know how they solved it? Stopped her heart to give it a reset. She got AED'd while she was awake and fully conscious. Twice!  Now THAT had to hurt!