Interesting comparison - at least to me

Below is a comparison photo I took of my 14 rnd extended 45 acp M&P mag next to my 15 rnd 40 S&W M&P mag.  (The 15 rnd 40 M&P mag is the same size as a 17 rnd 9mm for reference.)   One might say, duh, the 45 is a larger round, what did you expect?   I just thought it was a good visual of how much more space the 45 round requires when it comes to magazine capacity.   

20190221_195508_resized.jpg

• Like 3

That’s why I choose .40S&W for carry over .45ACP.

Capacity and concealability is 100% the reason for my choice. And which is a better round is 0%. .45ACP is a better round, but not good enough to give up capacity and concealability. If I get myself into something 13 or 15 rounds of .40S&W can’t get me out of; I probably deserve what happens next.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

That’s why I choose .40S&W for carry over .45ACP.

Capacity and concealability is 100% the reason for my choice. And which is a better round is 0%. .45ACP is a better round, but not good enough to give up capacity and concealability. If I get myself into something 13 or 15 rounds of .40S&W can’t get me out of; I probably deserve what happens next.

The very reason I picked up the 40 S&W

I'm a great 40SW affectionato myself... The truth of the matter is that There ain't a hill of beans difference between the great 185 grain 45ACP of yesteryear and today's 180 grain 40SW... They are both deadly in a gunman's hands... I own more 40' s in Tupperware than anything else... Big to little.   An interesting factoid RE... 40SW... They are really a " re-purposed and upgraded 38-40... The old 38-40 was the third most popular colt in the sales line behind the mighty 45 Colt and the 44-40 as I remember.  " Short n Weak " they ain't... I like em a lot.

"40 leroy "...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, leroy said:

I'm a great 40SW affectionato myself... The truth of the matter is that There ain't a hill of beans difference between the great 185 grain 45ACP of yesteryear and today's 180 grain 40SW... They are both deadly in a gunman's hands... I own more 40' s in Tupperware than anything else... Big to little.   An interesting factoid RE... 40SW... They are really a " re-purposed and upgraded 38-40... The old 38-40 was the third most popular colt in the sales line behind the mighty 45 Colt and the 44-40 as I remember.  " Short n Weak " they ain't... I like em a lot.

"40 leroy "...

Big fan of the fortay myself but it’s more of a cut down 10mm isn’t it?

Regardless, when 9m&m’s start delivering 180 grains of devastating hydrostatic shock y’all let me know.  😛

• Like 1

RE... " Cut down 10 mm... Yep... I ain't sure the 38-40 ain't how they got the 10mm... Ole Jeff Cooper knew about all that stuff, as there were still some saas and big colt double action still around then..... That's how they got the casing as I remember. 

Ballistically it's a 38-40 CIRCA late 1800s.. The old 38-40 wuz loaded with a 180 grain bullet (... Heel type, so it wuz .40 dia, not .357 like a 38...) at a velocity of 950 fps or so.  Forty grains of black powder gives a lot of whizz...

leroy.

Edited by leroy
Guest BCR#1

For reasons I'll never understand, the .40 S&W round doesn't receive high praise on THR website. I own two, a Sig 229 and an FN FNX. I also re-load for both. What I don't care for is most of the once fired brass I use are range brass and were shot out of a pos, striker fired, plastic junk glock of some number with it's unsupported chamber that bulges the bottom of the case.

After being re-sized with my Dillon re-sizing die, there is a distinct ridge half way around the base of the case that looks like hell but will still do the plunk test in both barrels due to the large chamber area in each. RANT mode turned off for now.

Bill

7 hours ago, BCR#1 said:

For reasons I'll never understand, the .40 S&W round doesn't receive high praise on THR website. I own two, a Sig 229 and an FN FNX. I also re-load for both. What I don't care for is most of the once fired brass I use are range brass and were shot out of a pos, striker fired, plastic junk glock of some number with it's unsupported chamber that bulges the bottom of the case.

After being re-sized with my Dillon re-sizing die, there is a distinct ridge half way around the base of the case that looks like hell but will still do the plunk test in both barrels due to the large chamber area in each. RANT mode turned off for now.

Bill

Extreme case of Glock Smile, yes you have to be diligent when looking for good brass to reload.

glock smile 2.jpg

glock smile 1.jpg

This really has me thinking of getting another 40 cal pistol. FWIW, my first 40 was a Taurus PT 100 I bought from a sheriff's deputy at a local range some years back. We struck up a conversation after he saw the Desert Eagle I had at the time. So we swapped pistols for a few rounds. I liked his Taurus. He hated the DE. lol Afterwards he offered me the Taurus and I took it home. 

Anyway, in a fit of stupidity, I sold my G24, about the best 40 I ever shot. Not a carry piece, but a great shooter.

Should I run across one at a decent price, I will have another. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, hipower said:

Anyway, in a fit of stupidity, I sold my G24, about the best 40 I ever shot. Not a carry piece, but a great shooter.

Should I run across one at a decent price, I will have another. 

I’ve been shooting a G24 in USPSA Limited division for the last seven or eight months.  It’s been massaged and I have it set up “just so.”  It is indeed a shooter.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
On 4/19/2020 at 2:18 AM, BCR#1 said:

Bill

Hey! No need to make it personal. 

On 4/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, Garufa said:

Big fan of the fortay myself but it’s more of a cut down 10mm isn’t it?

Regardless, when 9m&m’s start delivering 180 grains of devastating hydrostatic shock y’all let me know.  😛

It's sort-of a cut down 10mm. The base of a 10MM case is thicker to handle the higher pressure.

Anyway, I prefer the .357 Sig over the 9mm or the .40.

Edited by E4 No More
Clarification
Guest BCR#1
4 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

Hey! No need to make it personal. 

Hey what? Are you upset because I have no use for striker fired plastic junk like your avatar pic shows?

Bill

9 hours ago, leroy said:

The bullets look fantastic Brother..!  Are ya sizin n lubin or sizin and coating em..?

leroy

At first I was using "Alox" to lube, then learned how to powder coat, now it is powder coat on all boolits.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, RED333 said:

At first I was using "Alox" to lube, then learned how to powder coat, now it is powder coat on all boolits.

I understand...  I like the powder coat thing myself...  Got a bunch ive got to try for the 10mm.

leroy.