My new CHEAP AR15 (& a new 10/22)

Capbyrd

A while back I picked up a couple of barrels and receivers for 50 dollars total from an estate sale.  I have one barrel still sitting in the parts drawer and gave one upper to a friend.   The other barrel and upper I decided to throw a gas system on and finish out.  So this project started with wanting to finish a 25 dollar barreled upper.  I had a flash hider sitting in the parts drawer already so I needed gas block, tube and crush washer.   I knew that I wanted an a2 front sight because I wanted simple and it matches the carry handle nicely.  A lot of people will hate it but instead of dealing with taper pins, I converted the front sight block to set screws by drilling and tapping a couple of holes.  I also dimpled the barrel to keep the block a bit more secure.  I also broke a tap so that was fun! 

After I started getting the upper near complete, I kind of got challenged to see how cheaply I could put together a complete rifle.   I started looking at parts that I had at home and what I would need to complete a lower.  I found a decent deal on a lower so I picked that up.  I determined that from the parts that I had at home, I had probably given away enough parts that I was better off buying a complete LPK rather than just try and get missing pieces.  So shopping I went for the cheap stuff.   The last part came in last night for the entire build and here it is.  

49801458301_13000605a1_b.jpg

49800912148_9818729460_b.jpg

My set screw install.  

49800912138_ca2bcba047_b.jpg

And my broken tap. 

49801769317_9b15e3e132_b.jpg

So here is how the cost for this rifle breaks down.  Some parts will be listed together because they were part of one order.  All prices include shipping and tax and are rounded up to the nearest dollar.  

Lower - $60
Upper receiver and barrel - $25
Crush washer, gas tube, hand guard end cap - $20
Front sight block - $10
LPK and buffer tube kit - $75
Charging Handle - $10
BCG - $88
Set screws - $1

Total - $289 for a complete rifle.   I'm really happy with my sub 300 dollar AR.  

However, there are a few issues.  The first is the completely unknown barrel.  It has no marks on it anywhere which is incredibly inspiring.   So I intend to do a chamber cast before shooting.  I'm also going to throw a set of headspace gauges on it so that I can ensure that it won't blow up and kill me when I try to use it.  

This was a really fun exercise and I have no doubt that it can be done even cheaper.   I had several people offer me parts for free but as part of the challenge to myself, I didn't want to accept free parts but there are quite a few things on the list that could be had from someone else's spare parts bin for nothing.  As a matter of fact, I probably have some parts that I'm going to donate to someone else who is going to be trying something very similar soon.  But at the end of it, I've got another usable (I HOPE) rifle that I can use as a beater/loaner.   It's by no means my go-to/hard use rifle but it will do in a pinch for something.  

Also, I got in some parts that allowed me to finish piecing this together.  I love Ruger's laminate stocks.   This thing is cool.  

49801846177_2b35a730b1_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

A few years ago I got inspired to see if I could build a complete AR off eBay minus the stripped lower. Not quite as cheap, but after some wrangling I got it. Even got the evil black rifle stripped upper off eBay. Also one that I wouldn't bet my life on, but goes bang every time so far. Don't have any pictures close and too lazy to pull it out of storage. lol

Good work on both. I have some lowers I need to get around to building. Until things went haywire, 22mods4all seemed like the cheapest route, but their cheapest stuff is staying sold out. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I must be going to the wrong estate sales.

This guy was a prepper type, emphasis on the word type.   They said he was pretty eccentric.   He had a lot of gun stuff but by the time I got there, the barreled uppers were all that was left.  Well those and a S&W pump shotgun.  The shotgun will get its own thread later on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my order from Brownells in and was able to do a chamber cast this morning.   Here are the materials used. 

49846417633_547bbe5451_b.jpg

I disassembled the upper and put the barrel in the vice.  I used a patch shoved into the bore as a barrier.  The cerrosafe is very hard and I didn’t have a way to cut it without making a mess so I just put a corner into the ladle and heated it that way.   Unfortunately I ended up dripping a little because the ladle was so small. But I was able to melt enough to make a good cast first go round.   If I was recommending this to someone else, I’d recommend a larger ladle or cut the cerrosafe into small pieces. 

anyways, here is the result.   I’m confident now that this is a 5.56 or 2.23 barrel.  I still need to get a set of gauges to check headspace.  

49846417623_5e541f983a_b.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Got my order from Brownells in and was able to do a chamber cast this morning.   Here are the materials used. 

49846417633_547bbe5451_b.jpg

I disassembled the upper and put the barrel in the vice.  I used a patch shoved into the bore as a barrier.  The cerrosafe is very hard and I didn’t have a way to cut it without making a mess so I just put a corner into the ladle and heated it that way.   Unfortunately I ended up dripping a little because the ladle was so small. But I was able to melt enough to make a good cast first go round.   If I was recommending this to someone else, I’d recommend a larger ladle or cut the cerrosafe into small pieces. 

anyways, here is the result.   I’m confident now that this is a 5.56 or 2.23 barrel.  I still need to get a set of gauges to check headspace.  

49846417623_5e541f983a_b.jpg

Cool. I’ve always wanted to do a chamber casting.  Have no reason to do so other than curiosity and I’m down too many rabbit holes as it is, lol.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1