Looking to start handloading

I am buying a full setup when I get my 1911 and am looking at a Lee 1000 .45 acp kit. Is there anything else aside from powder, brass, bullets and primers I will need? Also is the 1K a good setup (I want a progressive, I remember my dad fumbling, cussing and hating reloading in general with his old single stage setup. Also is $135 a good price for a new rig?

TIA for the info, and if anyone can provide links to reputable/reliable bullet dealers, and for other supplies, it would be appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Terry J

Im a single stage person myself just for the fact im meticulous and like making sure every round is perfect. thats the way i was taught so i have stuck with it it has always served me well. My brother has a lee setup and he likes it but the carriage that holds the dies has too much play for me and he gets alot of uneven COL's. But again im meticulous. I have used www.Midwayusa.com for years and i have always been happy with them. They have just about everything you want and then some. I use http://www.grafs.com/ for my powder and primers cause they pay the shipping and all you have to pay is the hazmat fee. Good luck.

Guest DEIMOS

My advice is to start with a single stage, until you get some experience. I am also a single stage reloader. SS is slower, but you can spend the time with each cartridge and make sure each one is right.

Guest EasilyObsessed
I've heard good things about Midway USA... They have a good selection.

I haven't ordered any reloading supplies from Midway, but I have ordered close to $1000 of other stuff (ammo, couple stocks, barrel, holster, couple grips, bipods, etc.) in the past 6 months or so and every order has been well packed and arrived quickly.

Guest dotsun
I am buying a full setup when I get my 1911 and am looking at a Lee 1000 .45 acp kit. Is there anything else aside from powder, brass, bullets and primers I will need? Also is the 1K a good setup (I want a progressive, I remember my dad fumbling, cussing and hating reloading in general with his old single stage setup. Also is $135 a good price for a new rig?

TIA for the info, and if anyone can provide links to reputable/reliable bullet dealers, and for other supplies, it would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what's in the kit, but you'll be wanting a bullet puller later and a set of calipers sooner.

I bought the anniversary kit several years ago and have replaced the powder measure and scale. They're usable but not very good quality, IMO.

I'm not familer with that Lee kit, I started with the Deluxe Turret kit. I can load that with the auto-index or use it as a single stage. I did single stage until I got the handle of everything.

I have since added a Dillon SDB (Square Deal :D to the mix and I do love it. I can easily load 400 rounds an hour.

I still need to get me a bullet puller :D Yeah, I got a couple of rounds that need to be pulled :D

If you can, find someone close to you that reloads and get with them.

Guest Mugster

Another new forum guy here, i've been loading single stage for awhile. I never went progressive, those things scare me a little. I tend to weigh every charge and measure everything which takes awhile, but then i'm still breathing with intact barrels. Listen to these other guys and stick with a cheap single stage setup. It doesn't take alot of money to get going and you can see if reloading is for you.

Guest DeeZee

I can easily churn out 200 rounds an hour on my Lee classic cast Turret. They are reasonably priced, built to last, and they are the perfect compromise to the single stage/progressive dilemma. Ive loaded about 2000 rounds on the Pro1000, and all Ive got to say is that you'd better make sure you have a good working knowledge of the process. If you just HAVE to have a progressive, I believe the Dillon would be a little more user friendly for a novice starting off. But all in all I can just about guarantee your happiness with the classic cast setup.

turret001ie1.jpg

turret003pv8.jpg

Guest Mugster
I can easily churn out 200 rounds an hour on my Lee classic cast Turret. They are reasonably priced, built to last, and they are the perfect compromise to the single stage/progressive dilemma. Ive loaded about 2000 rounds on the Pro1000, and all Ive got to say is that you'd better make sure you have a good working knowledge of the process. If you just HAVE to have a progressive, I believe the Dillon would be a little more user friendly for a novice starting off. But all in all I can just about guarantee your happiness with the classic cast setup.

turret001ie1.jpg

turret003pv8.jpg

How long does it take you to change loads?

I'm not sure how long it takes me. Yesturday I made myself 6 .223 shell holders by drilling holes halfway though a 1x6 block of wood on the drillpress, 30 shells each. I also did a full length resize on about 100 .223 rounds and maybe 80 7mm rem mag rounds i picked up from ranges over the years and saved. I got the bullet die on the press set for punching in 150gr spbt's (actually made 1 complete round) and cleaned, case prepped, and primed the +/- 80 7mm brass. It might be closer to 100. Started at 2:30 and when i looked up it was 7:30. Had to go to the wallmart last night and pick up a battery for my micrometer.

Tomorrow I'll probably turn out all 80ish 7mm's using 4 different bullets and thus 4 different settings on the ram. Probably take me 3-4 hours working slow and steady i'd guess. I'm pretty picky on 7mm but the charge weights are usually 50-60 grains of powder, lol. My quality control drops on .223 a little and its a bit faster but i have to crimp it, so it probably evens out. When I do a "neck size only" or do a "limited full resize" on the 7mm for accuracy, that can really take awhile.

Guest DeeZee

Quote: How long does it take you to change loads?

Mugster, the quick change turret die plates are so dadgum cheap, I have one for each of the calibers I load for so I never have to take out my dies....just a 15 second change. I also have an identical powder measure for a quick change, and a Lyman 55 for some versatility and convenience.

So I guess the answer to your question would be just as fast as you can swap out the powder measure, die plate/dies, safety prime system, load up the powder, primers, and you're ready to roll.....About a 5 min ordeal from beginning to end.

change001pm2.jpg

Couple of other good sources for reloading are MidSouth Shooters Supply (Clarksville, TN) & Graf & Sons. Have ordered from both and Midway, really can't go wrong with any of them, they all will answer email and phone calls and are very knowledgeable. Been reloading for about 25 years and have spent many hours and $ enjoying that part of the shooting sport as much as the actual target practice and occasional competition.

Have fun and read your reloading manuals.;)

Guest Mugster

Haha, yeah i wonder how much $ i actually save doing this.

Hey, thats a pretty slick setup DeeZee. If i shot enough pistol to really matter I might consider it.

I usually run out to the reloaders bench in Mt. Juliet for supplies. He's got a pretty good stock on the shelf. I don't usually order primers or powder because of the hazmat fee. Occasionally i'll order a case prep type tool or something if its a real good deal.

Boys, you can't go wrong with a Dillon. Lifetime no B.S. warranty and a tech support that is equal to none. I can crank out 400 rds per hr. on my SDB.

DaG