Poke Salet

It’s up now. If you like it like I do, now’s the time to go get it. I have a pot of it boiling down now in preparation for supper.

If you aren’t sure how to cook it, just ask. I’ll tell you, and I’m sure there are several other members here who know how.

I've heard about it since I moved here, but I've never had it. Didn't even know what it looked like. 

I just gave 'er a googling & realized I have literally TONS of it on my property.

If anyone wants to come to tullahoma & clear my fence rows.......ahem....... pick a truck full of Poke, please feel free! (Le Wife asked if you could microwave it. Good God I detest that woman sometimes.)

• Haha 4
15 minutes ago, Handsome Rob said:

I've heard about it since I moved here, but I've never had it. Didn't even know what it looked like. 

I just gave 'er a googling & realized I have literally TONS of it on my property.

If anyone wants to come to tullahoma & clear my fence rows.......ahem....... pick a truck full of Poke, please feel free! (Le Wife asked if you could microwave it. Good God I detest that woman sometimes.)

Boil it in water until it wilts.  Drain. (Some folks insist on adding fresh water and boiling again.) Fry it in bacon grease. Mix in eggs and salt to taste.

I’ll pick a plastic grocery bag nearly full. Just get the tops. It’ll look like a lot, but will boil down to a manageable amount. After you boil it down, I heat about 3 tablespoons of bacon grease in a skillet and add the poke. Cook out what water didn’t drain out of it. I salt it liberally and scramble 3 eggs in it.

Edited by gregintenn
11 minutes ago, Handsome Rob said:

I’ve lived in The South my entire life and have never tasted nor even know what it looks like, lol. It’s basically a weed designed to deliver bacon fat and salt into your mouth.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Handsome Rob said:

Just don't eat the berries it grows or the stalks after they get bigger. It is poisonous at that point. 

@Garufa Sounds like ya was raised by some kinda fancy city folk. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I’ve lived in The South my entire life and have never tasted nor even know what it looks like, lol. It’s basically a weed designed to deliver bacon fat and salt into your mouth.

What isn’t good with bacon or fried in bacon grease?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Just don't eat the berries it grows or the stalks after they get bigger. It is poisonous at that point. 

@Garufa Sounds like ya was raised by some kinda fancy city folk. lol

Partially true. My country folks moved into the city and didn’t have to worry about boiling noxious weeds for Sunday dinner.  :lol:

Seriously though, I’m just not a fan of greens, even regular ones.

Edited by Garufa

I've been lucky enough to not really *need* to hunt and gather growing up. This is kind of interesting, I don't think it grows in MN but I could definitely be wrong about that.

For gathering, wild berries (blueberries, mulberries, strawberries, raspberries) and morel mushrooms are about the extent of my experience.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 4:32 PM, Quavodus said:

My mother loved it. I could never as a kid get over the smell of it cooking 

Same here. Mom had me pick all we could get or find. She absolutely loved it.

I reluctantly ate it way back then. Think of that, and her every time I see  greens in any form.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:21 PM, gregintenn said:

Boil it in water until it wilts.  Drain. (Some folks insist on adding fresh water and boiling again.) Fry it in bacon grease. Mix in eggs and salt to taste.

I’ll pick a plastic grocery bag nearly full. Just get the tops. It’ll look like a lot, but will boil down to a manageable amount. After you boil it down, I heat about 3 tablespoons of bacon grease in a skillet and add the poke. Cook out what water didn’t drain out of it. I salt it liberally and scramble 3 eggs in it.

++++++1 on the bacon grease and scrambling in the eggs!!   That is mighty fine Southern eating!!!!

• 2 weeks later...