Broadband Internet Rollout??

Anyone on here that might have some insight on possible timelines for ATT fiber optic rollout in west TN? I live in an Internet black hole with spotty cell service and nothing but satellite internet service available. I’ve had it and don’t plan to have it again. 

I actual live very close (1 mile) to the MS state line near an area that just had a complete residential fiber rollout. I also have Comcast lines to the north and south of my place but not to my home. 

Lastly, there are copper lines ran to my place but ATT will not sign me up for DSL. My mother in law next door has it but has had it for years. 

I can’t seem to get any info from anyone on when I could expect it or if I should just embrace the suck.

My only bright spot is a “we boost” cell antenna that pulls a decent signal into the house for cell phone service and light internet use. If all else fails I’m toying with the idea of an LTE modem connected to a router for limited whole home use.

13 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Trump said the other day he was working on getting internet to you folks in the sticks. He will probably hook you up soon. He might even decide to give you some of that Xfinity X1.

Man I wish it were that easy. It feels like a carrot being dangled in front of me just out of reach. All the neighbors have it in both sides but I’m just out of reach. 

15 hours ago, peejman said:

No idea about west TN. They've been running fiber cables here for the last 6 months and I've seen zip about when it'll be available. 

Yeah they won’t tell me a thing on a target date. I’ve read that Fixed Wireless may be the future for rural homes. Hardwired to near towers with the last bit done OTA to a house mounted antenna. 

7 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I’m cautiously optimistic about this. If it keeps the timeline then it would be worth holding out for. I didn’t realize they had FCC approval for the majority of the satellites yet so that’s a promising note. Hopefully the price is reasonable and the home receiver isn’t as expensive as the one in the video appeared. 

23 hours ago, maroonandwhite said:

Man I wish it were that easy. It feels like a carrot being dangled in front of me just out of reach. All the neighbors have it in both sides but I’m just out of reach. 

I'm in the same boat, fiber line 1/2 mi away, cable 1/4 mi away, no one will run lines up our road of 11 homes

2 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I'm in the same boat, fiber line 1/2 mi away, cable 1/4 mi away, no one will run lines up our road of 11 homes

I’ve been contemplating a 4G LTE modem with Ethernet to plug up a router. This would get me a useable signal for some of my less data intensive devices. Verizon has this that’s  no longer sold. 
https://www.electronicsforce.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=65912

I’ve been hesitant to spend $200 but I just found one for $50 on Amazon used. We will see how that goes. I’ll be able to use a sim with no overages after the data cap. Just a throttle down. I don’t mind that but I wasn’t going to pay $10 for each extra GB. 

There are also some aftermarket models available with Ethernet and one with a built in router. I was nervous that Verizon wouldn’t give me a new sim since they check IMEI numbers beforehand. I’ll be testing this one with my iPad sim. 

1 hour ago, maroonandwhite said:

I’ve been contemplating a 4G LTE modem with Ethernet to plug up a router. This would get me a useable signal for some of my less data intensive devices. Verizon has this that’s  no longer sold. 
https://www.electronicsforce.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=65912

I’ve been hesitant to spend $200 but I just found one for $50 on Amazon used. We will see how that goes. I’ll be able to use a sim with no overages after the data cap. Just a throttle down. I don’t mind that but I wasn’t going to pay $10 for each extra GB. 

There are also some aftermarket models available with Ethernet and one with a built in router. I was nervous that Verizon wouldn’t give me a new sim since they check IMEI numbers beforehand. I’ll be testing this one with my iPad sim. 

couple yrs back I was using my company cell phone and hot spotting our house, got pulled into the GM office once and was questioned how I was using 27gigs a month....LOL.....BTW Verizon was throttling my unlimited data, so I was constantly rebooting my phone to fool Verizon data stream, and another thing I learned over time using my phone 3-4g speeds were always better in the winter due to no leaves on the trees.

We have this, just uses a regular phone line

https://internetprovidersbyzip.com/service/att-internet-basic-6

It isn't fast, it allows me to stream tv and surf as well.

You use dish or direct tv? I payed for that trap for 23yrs, best day ever was telling them to cancel my account

1 minute ago, Johnny Rotten said:

couple yrs back I was using my company cell phone and hot spotting our house, got pulled into the GM office once and was questioned how I was using 27gigs a month....LOL.....BTW Verizon was throttling my unlimited data, so I was constantly rebooting my phone to fool Verizon data stream, and another thing I learned over time using my phone 3-4g speeds were always better in the winter due to no leaves on the trees.

We have this, just uses a regular phone line

https://internetprovidersbyzip.com/service/att-internet-basic-6

It isn't fast, it allows me to stream tv and surf as well.

You use dish or direct tv? I payed for that trap for 23yrs, best day ever was telling them to cancel my account

I have them now and do enjoy it but the best money I ever spent was on a Tablo. It’s essentially an OTA dvr that has guide data for two weeks. Requires an internet connection to use which is the main reason I’m going down this road. It then streams the recorded or live video to any device on the home network. I bought the lifetime guide data subscription so no monthly fees at all. It paid for itself in about six months with no directv. 
 Direct will be getting the boot after this. My reasoning before was that instead of paying $89 to Hughes net just so I could use tablo, I’d be better served just getting satellite. More for my money. 

This new solution should hopefully be the cheapest method so far. 

That plan was a bust. Verizon won’t activate the device. I ended up ordering a hotspot today that should handle my needs. I discovered the one device I thought needed to be setup wired will in fact work over WiFi. If it doesn’t get the range I need I can go further and figure out a way to connect a router. 

That plan was a bust. Verizon won’t activate the device. I ended up ordering a hotspot today that should handle my needs. I discovered the one device I thought needed to be setup wired will in fact work over WiFi. If it doesn’t get the range I need I can go further and figure out a way to connect a router. 

If you're looking for additional options, check out LTE fix.com, they have a forum (under the "tutorials" heading) and have a lot of info about setting up and using various types of cellular routers, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are rural. Our road has phone and electric and that's it. 

First thing I've gotta say if you want anything fast enough to fully use, IT AIN'T CHEAP.

We've tried satellite and I have to say it ranks right up there with unreliable dial-up, at best.

For a long time we used the Verizon LTE internet ( l cant remember what they called it but it's no longer offered )

We used HughsNet and it SUCKS.  It's expensive, data limit lasts about 4 to 5 days, then speeds slower than dial-up. 

Right now we are using Unlimitedville and AT&T Fixed wireless. 

The speeds vary but we never have to buffer watching movies. 

Both are cellular and do have geographic limitations just like our phones do. 

Unlimitedville is, unlimited. Real honest to goodness UNLIMITED. No throttling, period, ever. But my plan is high @ $199 a month

The Unlimitedville plan prices are different dependent on the area you are in. 

AT&T Fixed wireless is 250 gig then throttles. 

2 cents

17 minutes ago, TerryW said:

We are rural. Our road has phone and electric and that's it. 

First thing I've gotta say if you want anything fast enough to fully use, IT AIN'T CHEAP.

We've tried satellite and I have to say it ranks right up there with unreliable dial-up, at best.

For a long time we used the Verizon LTE internet ( l cant remember what they called it but it's no longer offered )

We used HughsNet and it SUCKS.  It's expensive, data limit lasts about 4 to 5 days, then speeds slower than dial-up. 

Right now we are using Unlimitedville and AT&T Fixed wireless. 

The speeds vary but we never have to buffer watching movies. 

Both are cellular and do have geographic limitations just like our phones do. 

Unlimitedville is, unlimited. Real honest to goodness UNLIMITED. No throttling, period, ever. But my plan is high @ $199 a month

The Unlimitedville plan prices are different dependent on the area you are in. 

AT&T Fixed wireless is 250 gig then throttles. 

2 cents

That’s the worst part. I’d be more than happy to pay for ATT fixed wireless. Even THAT isn’t available out here haha. 

That’s the worst part. I’d be more than happy to pay for ATT fixed wireless. Even THAT isn’t available out here haha. 

I've heard of where you live. You guys truck in sunlight?  🙂

• Haha 1

Not having the really really fast interweb, is my one and only complaint, period. 

But our speeds now are at least high enough to watch an entire YouTube video without painful buffering.

Now I can go do that corrective eye surgery on myself that I've always wanted to try! 

• Haha 1