Anyone recognize this tree bark?

1 hour ago, Lumber_Jack said:

@Erik88 that’s for sure Catalpa. People who dont know call them Green Bean Trees or the old more common name Indian Bean. 

Thanks. I learned something new. It looks like they have a pretty small natural range so I bet this one was planted. 

image.png.33f55d79f110bdd1dc17d079271b2e0d.png

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Thanks. I learned something new. It looks like they have a pretty small natural range so I bet this one was planted. 

That map doesn't seem correct. I always thought they were common.

Edited by hughd

image.png.33f55d79f110bdd1dc17d079271b2e0d.png

Thats for the specific subspeicies Southern Catalpa. The range of Catalpa speciosa (all speciesis much more broad

map.jpg

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, mhmd said:

@Lumber_Jack , all of our catalpa trees are around creek bottoms. Google doesn’t  say that is a requirement. Is that just a fluke of our farm?

mark

That's why Catalpa worms are a fantastic fish bait, It's a natural food to them in areas where there are Catalpa trees.

I didn't recognize the bark but when the "green beans" were mentioned it jogged my memory. Gathered many Catalpa worms as a kid.

Catalpa-worm.jpg

Edited by xsubsailor
1 hour ago, xsubsailor said:

That's why Catalpa worms are a fantastic fish bait, It's a natural food to them in areas where there are Catalpa trees.

I didn't recognize the bark but when the "green beans" were mentioned it jogged my memory. Gathered many Catalpa worms as a kid.

Catalpa-worm.jpg

So that's what those are called. 

@Erik88, you CAN get sap to make syrup from a silver maple. In the late winter or spring when the days are above freezing and the nights below freezing it'll give sap if you tap it. The rule of thumb is about 40:1 if you do want to give it a try.

• Like 1
On 5/19/2020 at 1:04 PM, mhmd said:

@Lumber_Jack , all of our catalpa trees are around creek bottoms. Google doesn’t  say that is a requirement. Is that just a fluke of our farm?

mark

It is definitely a bottomland species.  You will find it other places but it typically likes wetter sites

32 minutes ago, bud said:

I  was trying to!

i dont get to talk plants too much these days, and Im a sucker for a plant ID challenge.

Spotted this today. Downtown Knoxville is full of these trees, most grow along the creek. They look like wild blackberries but they aren't growing on a vine.

0520201137a_HDR.jpg

0520201137_HDR.jpg

0520201138.jpg

Those are further along than ours at the moment. They are hard to harvest. I know I pick several gallons just to get enough for a pie or two.  The same thing happens with strawberries. 

I've heard they are really good but I've never tried them. 

Do it. You'll be glad you did. Eat the darkest ones you see.

I've never actually done anything with them, other than give them to the boys or shove them into my mouth. I've been saving and freezing some of the "rougher looking" ones, to eventually batch them up for wine...

Edited by TomInMN
Additional thought.