Anyone recognize this tree bark?

Road Trip. Perfect excuse for you and your your dad to get away for a bit. Or you could invite some desering TGO members to journey with you. 

When I was younger, some buddies and I bet on the color of a house by our duck club. We loaded up and drove 140 miles round trip to confirm that I was wrong. 

1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I think there are several varieties but I've always known them as Redbud trees even though the flowers are pinkish in color.

Interesting. The ones I knew as red buds don't have nice flowers like this.  Must be a different variety as you mentioned. 

46 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

It’s hard to tell scale of the flowers in the pics but it sure looks like a Saucer Magnolia. It’s a Japanese flowering tree. Biggest giveaway is how early they bloom. Always the first ornamentals to flower 

That looks like it but the Saucer is described as a big shrub or small tree on wiki. This is definitely a tree with a main trunk. I'll see if I can snap some better pictures. There are 3 of these on our street.

55 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

That looks like it but the Saucer is described as a big shrub or small tree on wiki. This is definitely a tree with a main trunk. I'll see if I can snap some better pictures. There are 3 of these on our street.

I’ve seen saucer magnolias twice as tall as the one in the pic. Still consider a “small tree” in tree standards. It can be shrubby or have multiple stems but if managed can have single trunk

• 1 month later...

We just closed on our new house today. I'm gonna need help identifying some of the trees. Anyone recognize this huge one? My dad thinks it might be a sweet gum. 

We've got a ton in the backyard I'm curious about too.

We also inherited new pets.

Edit- pictures posted out of order. I'm mainly interested in the big tree in the front yard.

0430211012_HDR.jpg

0430211149.jpg

0430211142b.jpg

0430211142.jpg

0430211142_HDR.jpg

0430211149.jpg

Edited by Erik88

I’m terrible at identifying trees and vegetation, but I have an app for that 😁

I’ve been using it for about a year on iPhone, and it’s pretty cool. It’s called PictureThis

You just open the app, take the pic and it knows the answer. Will identify by leaves, bark, fruit, stems, etc.  It’s actually been pretty fun learning what stuff is, lol. I think I paid a small fee for it but definitely worth it. Trees, grass, weeds, vines, flowers... anything

Edited by Wingshooter
On 5/3/2021 at 9:38 PM, Erik88 said:

@Lumber_Jack any idea what it might cost to have someone trim that willow oak down? It's too close to the house and has clogged up all the gutters. I'm tempted to remove it completely but it's a pretty tree and I'm sure that's not cheap.

Not sure on trimming alone. It’d probably cost $2k to cut it down if not more. I will say with the size of the tree I don’t imagine any amount of pruning is going to save your gutters. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Got a new one I've never seen before. The tree looked nearly dead so I didn't snap a picture. The fruit was almost as big as a softball. Small tree, no more than 15' tall and growing along a creek. 

Anyone know what it is? @Lumber_Jack

IMG_20221127_133056548_HDR.jpg

That is an osage orange.  I always called them horse apples but they go by several names.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

• Thanks 1
On 11/27/2022 at 3:58 PM, Erik88 said:

Got a new one I've never seen before. The tree looked nearly dead so I didn't snap a picture. The fruit was almost as big as a softball. Small tree, no more than 15' tall and growing along a creek. 

Anyone know what it is? @Lumber_Jack

IMG_20221127_133056548_HDR.jpg

Yep that indeed is an Osage Orange. Some might call it Bodock which come from the French Bois d’arc (bow wood) because the Osage Native Americans used the wood for bows, Comanche were also know for using it for bows. Prevalent across the mid south into Texas due to planting.  Also referred as Hegde Apples as it’s very common along fence rows because it’s very sturdy. 

E9B1C19B-0D14-4326-B62C-93490A04BF91.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1