Ruger Single Six Stainless Convertible

Sidewinder

Did any of you see the sale at Bass Pro and Cabella's for $419.97? Did anyone get one? I missed out, and now they are showing "out of stock". Bummer! In researching this revolver, I found out that they have barrel length from 4" to 9.7" and calibers from .22LR, .22 Mag, .17HMR, and .32ACP. My favorite would be the Ruger Single Six convertible in stainless and a 5.5"-6.5" barrel. Hate I missed out on the sale. What are you guys favorite barrel length, caliber, and use of this versatile revolver? I'd like as much input as possible, as I'm going to buy one soon. Thanks.

I have a 5.5" that looks like it was recovered from the Titanic and I have my dad's 6.5" three screw model.  My favorite is the 4 & 5/8 version.  There's something about the ejector rod shroud being flush with the muzzle that's just cool.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

I have a blued version with a 5.5" barrel.     To me that's the best length for the frame size.   Looks like a very natural length at least to me.    I've had mine for 40 years and just use it for general plinking.    It's a great shooter.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I have a 5.5" that looks like it was recovered from the Titanic and I have my dad's 6.5" three screw model.  My favorite is the 4 & 5/8 version.  There's something about the ejector rod shroud being flush with the muzzle that's just cool.  

Deerslayer, I was offered a stainless convertible model with the 4" barrel, but passed on it. I think the 5.5" or 6.5" barrel will suit my needs fine...if I ever find one! I'm running ads on GOC, so if you know someone that has one for sale, please send them my way. Many thanks.

19 hours ago, Trekbike said:

I have a blued version with a 5.5" barrel.     To me that's the best length for the frame size.   Looks like a very natural length at least to me.    I've had mine for 40 years and just use it for general plinking.    It's a great shooter.

Thanks for your post, Trekbike. Wow! Forty years! I guess that's a testimonial that it has served your needs well. I was offered a 4" barrel, but am holding out for a 5.5" or 6.5". I'm a hunter, so I hope to get one to carry along on my hunting trips. I saw an El Paso Saddlery holster that looked like it would work well in that capacity. Have you taken any game with yours, over the years?

12 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

Deerslayer, I was offered a stainless convertible model with the 4" barrel, but passed on it. I think the 5.5" or 6.5" barrel will suit my needs fine...if I ever find one! I'm running ads on GOC, so if you know someone that has one for sale, please send them my way. Many thanks.

Will do.  I would sell my 5.5 but it’s so beat up I would be ashamed to take any money for it.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, xsubsailor said:

Both of our stores here in the Memphis area show them in stock. (22/22Mag)

Used to hunt in a lot of areas close to you, back in the 60s, when I was stationed in Millington. Definitely a different Memphis these days!

• Like 1
Guest BCR#1

I have a 1966 3 screw 5.5" convertible, original box and paperwork. I bought it last year from an estate I helped liquidate for the widow. Paid $350.00

Bill

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

A friend has an older 9.5" that was his Father-Inlaw's. Been getting the urge for one of those beasts. I always gave him a hard time that the reason he was a better shot than me was his barrel was closer to the target.

Do they show up often? I see they are still made but would rather have a more vintage version if I can find one. My friend made a real nice holster for his, if I find one I will try to talk him into making one for me.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I hope you can find one Sidewinder. They are good guns. I'm surprised they make it in .32 ACP. 

I think he means .32 H&R.  I have a Single Six in that caliber and it's a great gun.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Thanks guys, for all of the posts. I've been off of here for a while. I did find a stainless convertible, like new, in the box and took it home with me. Due to COVID, I haven't been able to get out and shoot it. I don't mean I had COVID. I'm an old dude, with a couple of underlying medical conditions, so I haven't gone to OK Corral since this mess started. I can't wait to shoot it. I found a real old one too, and brought it home...sweet trigger, with flat loading gate. I feel like I hit the mother lode!

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...