Murder Hornets!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya'll are joking with the gun references I know. But I have seen a reload recipe for .38 or .357 using small amount of powder and either grits or cornmeal and seal it with wax for shooting the carpenter or boring bee's. You know a gun guy will figure out something that needs to be shot!!

2 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Ya'll are joking with the gun references I know. But I have seen a reload recipe for .38 or .357 using small amount of powder and either grits or cornmeal and seal it with wax for shooting the carpenter or boring bee's. You know a gun guy will figure out something that needs to be shot!!

That is an annual topic here.  All kinds of recipes.  Surprised no one has cranked it back up yet.

12 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

We use crushed walnut hulls, Bullseye powder, and cut wads out of basket paper. Powder, wad, walnut shells, wad, then crimp. The boys have a ball shooting carpenter bees out in the equipment shed.

Wish I’d have thought of it when you were here. I’d have taken you on a guided hunt.

Edited by gregintenn

I would danged sure have gone, provided the guide didn't ask a ton of $$$. LOL  I make snake shot shells our of .357 brass, open up the primer hole a bit, Bullseye, I use my lubrisizer to cut wads out of thin cardboard like cereal boxes or ammo boxes and either hot glue or melted paraffin wax to seal them.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

That is an annual topic here.  All kinds of recipes.  Surprised no one has cranked it back up yet.

Been shooting them for about a month now. Seems the population is down in my neighborhood.🙂

On 5/4/2020 at 3:53 PM, peejman said:

They're 3000 miles from here.

"The so-called “murder hornets” – which also are blamed for killing 50 people a year in Japan – have been spotted in Washington state."

:shrug:

Edited by hughd
22 minutes ago, owejia said:

Been shooting them for about a month now. Seems the population is down in my neighborhood.

The gov't may need to do a study and place a lower harvest in an attempt to keep population levels higher.

Unfortunately shooting them, or my nemesis the carpenter bees, would draw too much attention...hmm, a silenced bee load???  Anyway, been zapping them with one of those electric fly swatters, kind of fun stalking and hunting them down but I just can't keep up with them, I have a newish deck and it's like ringing the dinner bell for them.

41Pq69WMg1L._SY300_QL70_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

7 hours ago, hughd said:

"The so-called “murder hornets” – which also are blamed for killing 50 people a year in Japan – have been spotted in Washington state."

:shrug:

I estimated poorly and they're 2500 miles away instead of 3000.  Is that the source of your confusion?

3 hours ago, Omega said:

Unfortunately shooting them, or my nemesis the carpenter bees, would draw too much attention...hmm, a silenced bee load???  Anyway, been zapping them with one of those electric fly swatters, kind of fun stalking and hunting them down but I just can't keep up with them, I have a newish deck and it's like ringing the dinner bell for them.

I use a cheapo badminton racket,  keep one on the screened in porch and one out in the shed, I can see the deck from both.  If I catch one solid, little bugger takes off like a tennis ball off a racket, or they get stuck inbetween the strings.  LOL.  I've gotten about a dozen so far this year.  SIL uses a butterfly net to catch 'em and then steps on 'em.  LOL

3 hours ago, Omega said:

Try one of those Bug-a-salt guns that shoots salt.  I hear it works pretty good on flys.  May have to get a littlest closer for the carpenter bees.

3 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Try one of those Bug-a-salt guns that shoots salt.  I hear it works pretty good on flys.  May have to get a littlest closer for the carpenter bees.

I use a bamboo garden stake.  Basically a straight stick.  Keeps the eyes, mind, and skills sharp, lol.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1