Murder Hornets!!

3 hours ago, peejman said:

I estimated poorly and they're 2500 miles away instead of 3000.  Is that the source of your confusion?

Nope, that's not it. The source of my confusion stems from me not paying attention. 

embarrassed hide GIF

Edited by hughd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Shorty said:

Try one of those Bug-a-salt guns that shoots salt.  I hear it works pretty good on flys.  May have to get a littlest closer for the carpenter bees.

Nah, I've got one. Its kinda iffy. It kills some, but others just shake it off like nothing. Probably wouldn't even phase a murder hornet. :shake:

I'm partial to a good old fashioned fly swatter myself. ;)

On 5/4/2020 at 4:13 PM, DaveTN said:

Its not bad enough that I have an irrational fear of wasps. (They are truly the Devil) But now these have made their way here. :panic:

0Iuo7nl.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/us/asian-giant-hornet-washington.html

Dave, I am also deathly afraid of hornets and yellow jackets and pretty much dislike any flying stinging insect.   I am from the Pacific Northwest and they have invaded my homeland.  This is just another reason I am happy I left that place 😧

On 5/5/2020 at 5:04 PM, jpx2rk said:

I use a cheapo badminton racket,  keep one on the screened in porch and one out in the shed, I can see the deck from both.  If I catch one solid, little bugger takes off like a tennis ball off a racket, or they get stuck inbetween the strings.  LOL.  I've gotten about a dozen so far this year.  SIL uses a butterfly net to catch 'em and then steps on 'em.  LOL

I had to quit after tennis racketing 106.  Was literally starting to get tennis elbow!

4 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

How much " Murder Hornet" stimulus $$ are we getting???

The bug nerds are trying to reassure us that this is not a problem. These are the same nerds saying that honeybees are well on the decline, so we shouldn't be alarmed that these hornets can wipe-out an entire beehive like it's nothing.

13 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

The bug nerds are trying to reassure us that this is not a problem. These are the same nerds saying that honeybees are well on the decline, so we shouldn't be alarmed that these hornets can wipe-out an entire beehive like it's nothing.

I look at it like a plane crash. The chances of you being in one are slim. But I doubt that is of any reassure to those fire balling down a runway or crashing into a mountain.

I can honestly say when I was a cop, I had no fear going on a man with a guy call, or a riot. (I was an adrenaline junkie) I would much rather do that than have an encounter with a wasp. When I see one, I can’t relax until I am out of the area, or it is dead. If I saw one of these I would be running and screaming like a little girl.

hOP5GJt.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I look at it like a plane crash. The chances of you being in one are slim. But I doubt that is of any reassure to those fire balling down a runway or crashing into a mountain.

I can honestly say when I was a cop, I had no fear going on a man with a guy call, or a riot. (I was an adrenaline junkie) I would much rather do that than have an encounter with a wasp. When I see one, I can’t relax until I am out of the area, or it is dead. If I saw one of these I would be running and screaming like a little girl.

hOP5GJt.gif

They only bother me if they sting me. Just last weekend, I was leaning against a shed when a fellow pointed out to me that there was about a dozen of them just above my head. I responded with, "Ah, they ain't gonna do nothing" and they didn't. Now Yellow Jackets I'd wipe out if I had the chance. I've never been attacked by them but I dislike any critter that'll attack you just for driving over their hole with a lawn mower.

I'm also at war with the fire ants on my property. They aren't as bad as the fire ants in the Mojave Desert, but they still will leave some whelps on your hide. I mow the land with a bag of fire ant killer between my legs, and dump it on every mound that I see.

Just keep in mind that most of these critters are nature's little garbage disposals. I've got kids and definitely remove wasps and yellow jackets that show up, but I try to leave the rest alone. The bees help my veggies grow.