Grocery shopping these days

First of all understand that I cook just for myself. I try to keep meals small and easy. As such, I go grocery shopping once a month. One trip to Kroger and one trip to Sam's pretty much covers all my needs for the month. Usually a couple of small quick trips for bread, milk or some other small thing thrown in there somewhere. But I buy the bulk of my food on one day at the first of each month. 

Its time. 

I went to Kroger a few days ago. I got up early to make the 7:00 to 8:00 am "Senior Hour" in hopes they had restocked overnight and there would be a good selection. WRONG! 
Lots of empty shelves still. A little bit of some off brand toilet paper and paper towels. No kleenex! and I'm suffering badly from allergies. :censored:
Canned vegetables were decent. But canned foods, chili, soup and such, well the pickings were slim and mostly off brands. 
I was really disappointed with the meat dept. Nothing in the way of small packages like I normally buy.  You know, a single steak or a 2 pack of pork chops. About all they had was huge roasts. monster T-bones and family packs with about a dozen pieces in them. No good for a single guy. 
But I did manage to grab a couple of one pound packages of ground beef before what little there was disappeared.
Ok, so I got what I could and went home. 

Yesterday I tried to go to Sam's at about noon. Nope! Line to get in was wrapped around the building. And judging from the huge carts of the people coming out, it had probably been picked over pretty good already. So I just went back home. :(
This morning I got there half an hour before they opened. I knew there would be a line waiting for the doors to open, but still, I was somewhere around number 60 or 70 to get in. 
While waiting, the line behind me grew to about another hundred people. :eek:

So I get in the door and made a beeline for the meat department. Good news! it was well stocked. Yeah, Sam's likes to bulk pack too. But I grabbed a couple of 6 packs of pork chops and three 4 packs of steaks. Figured I better get it while I can. :shrug:
Actually managed to get a bulk pack of Puffs facial tissue. Thank  God! My nose will definitely appreciate them. ;)
Not the usual selection, but I grabbed a bunch of frozen stuff. Sandwiches, quickie stuff and such.

Oh, and when I left, there was still a line wrapped around the building to get in. :(

BTW: when I got home I ended up spending more than an hour breaking down the big packages of meat and re-wrapping it all for the freezer in individual pieces. 

I actually bought much more than I should have. But it was there and with all the talk of coming food shortages, I wasn't taking any chances. So, it was a bit of a PITA, but I'm good for a couple of months at least. ;)

So, how's the food shopping where you are? Good, bad, slim pickins or well stocked? Any horror stories to share?

Edited by Grayfox54

Which Kroger?  I usually go to the one at 70/Appling, but sometimes end up at Kirby Whitten.  Both are almost always out of toilet paper, but usually have some bread and meat (small or big packs).  Bread was thin early on, so tortillas became my new bread for a while.  Meat can be hit or miss.  I don’t eat a lot of canned stuff and have stocked up on frozen vegetables, which are still usually available.  I haven’t been in 10 days or so, so maybe all that has changed.  

We've been to the store twice since the SHTF. I grew up poor and we always froze and canned stuff. Still doing it.. Mostly what I run out of  is fresh veggies, but nature will fix that for me before long. Garden is coming on.

Wine by mail is cool and I found a place that does bourbon. 

we abide....

I have been to Kroger’s weekly since this situation started and it’s hit or miss every time.  Without fail several of the things on my list will not be available and it’s aggravating as hell.

I’ve tried going after the old folks hour ended also thinking they’d restock over night.  Wrong! Judging from stuff still in boxes on the shelves, they’re putting it out as soon as it gets in.

Stocking up is about impossible.  There aren’t even any canned Lima beans, not that I’d ever put one in my mouth.  Frozen veggies...don’t even look.

Maybe we should all start slipping bills to grocery store managers for delivery info like the neckbeards did during The Great .22 Famine a few years ago.

Edited by Garufa
  • Admin Team

Here in Nashville proper, my regular Publix has been pretty well stocked.  

Assuming you don't need flour, yeast, or toilet paper - you should be squared away.  Those things have been hit or miss.

I went to Target yesterday morning.  They were well stocked on toilet paper.

It's been hit or miss on paper products, red meat is getting harder to find, I did score two big London Broils last trip, and since I cut them up in thirds (just the 2 of us here) we got 6 meals in the freezer, pork is scarce but no big surprise there.  I was able to get a pork loin last week and we got 2 meals out of it, so that was good.  Veggies are kinda hit or miss, just need to time it right at the store.

Last time I was at wally world, they were stocking during the daytime, so some isles were blocked with new product but the employees were standing there talking, not stocking the shelves.  LOL..

Luckily the liquor stores still have what I want or prefer, so all is good.  

• Authorized Vendor
55 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Here in Nashville proper, my regular Publix has been pretty well stocked.  

Assuming you don't need flour, yeast, or toilet paper - you should be squared away.  Those things have been hit or miss.

I went to Target yesterday morning.  They were well stocked on toilet paper.

I'm stocked up on flour and yeast since I make bread, rolls, pretzels, bagels and the like. :lol: The wife goes every ten days or so... we are doing well on most everything we want including meats. Like most everyone else we normally don't buy family packs of meat but were forced into it. So we divided it up and packed it away in the freezer. We have bought a lot of our stuff lately on line so we are set. Unlike a lot of folks we have been moderate "preppers" for years so we aren't going to do without anytime soon. We have a small garden going with everything we want in it and still have some canned items from last year.

• Like 2

I've been grocery shopping several times over the past month. What Kroger doesn't have, food city usually does.

We've done the buy online and pick up from both places and it's been ok. Seems to depend on who gets your order. One lady was great... texting pictures of the shelves for alternatives when they didn't have something, asking questions, super helpful. Other times not so much.  Can't really complain though. 

The meat and paper products are still picked over, but everything else has been fine. 

46 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

In Nashville, I enjoy standing as close as I can to people. Publix in downtown town is fun. I had a guy squeal and run away last Friday. 

Probably a good way to get shot.....old men tend not to have much of a sense of humor.

Edited by Raoul
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Raoul said:

Probably a good way to get shot.....old men tend not to have much of a sense of humor.

So as not to cause a gunshot panic, I'd just slash the Achilles tendon and move away six feet.

- OS

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Deerslayer: I use the Kroger at Stage and Bartlett Blvd. Its a very popular store and often quite crowded. 

As for social distancing, when I got in line to wait for the store to open, two young men got in behind me. They were only about 2 feet back. I looked at them and politely said "Step back please." They did, no problem.  I said "Thank you" and everything was cool.  I think most folks are ok with keeping distance. Its our new way of life. 

went to the store this evening. Didn't plan to but we are participating in a zoom dinner tomorrow night and we decided to splurge a little. Shelves were decently stocked. Was in and out in just a few minutes. 3rd visit in 2 months.

Grayfox54 it sounds like you could do with a bottom of the line food saver. By those family packs to save money.

Wild yeast is easy to harvest in our area. YouTube is your friend for that.

Mark

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mark A said:

went to the store this evening. Didn't plan to but we are participating in a zoom dinner tomorrow night and we decided to splurge a little. Shelves were decently stocked. Was in and out in just a few minutes. 3rd visit in 2 months.

Grayfox54 it sounds like you could do with a bottom of the line food saver. By those family packs to save money.

Wild yeast is easy to harvest in our area. YouTube is your friend for that.

Mark

Can't beat a foodsaver.

• Like 1

/rant-on

Same deal with Krogers and Sams Club. Been there before open. Make beeline to TP... None! They said they never know when it comes in.

Rather than deal with people finding stuff, (give yourself a cookie and pat on the back, lucky you), I want an answer from anyone and everyone. Especially the govt.!

Where the EFF is all the toilet paper? Why is it always out of stock? Get these paper companies cooking!

They want you to stay home but going on a hunt to provide for your stinky arse wiping paper, puts you out more than you need to be. Just where is the stuff? It started almost from day one. Who has these huge fat arses using it all? Are they saving it for the night before Halloween to fill trees with? Seriously! WTF! If you want the rough stuff, props go out to Georgia Pacific. The only stuff you might, just might find online or in some stores.

/rant-off

OK, so where is it then: https://www.npr.org/2020/05/06/850696740/everyone-wants-what-he-makes-at-the-always-busy-charmin-toilet-paper-factory

I've been mostly to Kroger and Walmart. Meats were hit and miss, but we don't buy much red meat so it's no problem for us. I assume in a real SHTF scenario, there would be no power, so I'm not buying much that requires freezing.  People seem to be more observant of distancing at Krogers so I prefer to shop there. 

I've given up on going to Costco... way too many people. I'll go someday during the seniors only hour to get my fix of the Merlot soaked cheddar cheese. 

Edited to add: As a semi-prepper, we had sufficient TP and calories for a month, but it wouldn't have been appealing. I've since added about 100,000 calories to our stock of non-perishable goods. 

Edited by jgradyc
25 minutes ago, BHunted said:

/rant-on

Same deal with Krogers and Sams Club. Been there before open. Make beeline to TP... None! They said they never know when it comes in.

Rather than deal with people finding stuff, (give yourself a cookie and pat on the back, lucky you), I want an answer from anyone and everyone. Especially the govt.!

Where the EFF is all the toilet paper? Why is it always out of stock? Get these paper companies cooking!

They want you to stay home but going on a hunt to provide for your stinky arse wiping paper, puts you out more than you need to be. Just where is the stuff? It started almost from day one. Who has these huge fat arses using it all? Are they saving it for the night before Halloween to fill trees with? Seriously! WTF! If you want the rough stuff, props go out to Georgia Pacific. The only stuff you might, just might find online or in some stores.

/rant-off

OK, so where is it then: https://www.npr.org/2020/05/06/850696740/everyone-wants-what-he-makes-at-the-always-busy-charmin-toilet-paper-factory

Kroger here had a few packs of Charmin yesterday and food city had a bunch of several varieties early this week. My wife got some from target last weekend, so we're good for another month. 

I reached out to my friends at Kimberly Clark(think huggies, Cottonelle etc), they said demand is still extremely high. I wouldn't expect TP to be back in stock for several more months. Basically, people need to stop buying it for a little while. TP takes up a ton of space, where are people storing all this? 

10 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Deerslayer: I use the Kroger at Stage and Bartlett Blvd. Its a very popular store and often quite crowded. 

As for social distancing, when I got in line to wait for the store to open, two young men got in behind me. They were only about 2 feet back. I looked at them and politely said "Step back please." They did, no problem.  I said "Thank you" and everything was cool.  I think most folks are ok with keeping distance. Its our new way of life. 

Went to 70/Appling yesterday about 6pm.  They had plenty of everything except toilet paper and steaks.  Lots of 1 pound packs of ground beef in both the cheap and expensive flavors.  Some pork, lots of chicken, bread, eggs, and frozen vegetables.  I didn’t look too hard at canned stuff, but the shelves appeared stocked.  

If somebody gets too close, just cough.  I’ve been coughing since I mowed our pollen infested yard two or three weeks ago, and nobody comes near me lol.  

Edited by deerslayer
19 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I reached out to my friends at Kimberly Clark(think huggies, Cottonelle etc), they said demand is still extremely high. I wouldn't expect TP to be back in stock for several more months. Basically, people need to stop buying it for a little while. TP takes up a ton of space, where are people storing all this? 

Exactly... my point and why? We haven't had to use any more tp than normal. They expecting to have their arses explode?
You never hear any reasoning or talk about it on the news, online or otherwise... ☠️

16 minutes ago, BHunted said:

Exactly... my point and why? We haven't had to use any more tp than normal. They expecting to have their arses explode?
You never hear any reasoning or talk about it on the news, online or otherwise... ☠️

The same reason people started hoarding ammo. Fear. Once word got out that people were hoarding toilet paper it became something we all had to have because everyone else was doing it. 

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, BHunted said:

I think where people are taking their dumps might have something to do with it as well.  Think of all those people who did their business at work who are now doing it at home, or kids formerly at school, or any others that choose to use public facilities.  Those are all sources of TP that often come from something other than the regular retail supply chain.  Now, more folks are having to buy their own, or at least more of it, from regular stores.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2