Land Surveyor Needed

Does anyone here know of a surveyor in Blount County ? Have been trying for awhile ( 2 years) since I moved here and the ones I talk to put off calling back , have trouble traveling to the properties ( 1 in Maryville the other near Eagleton Village) .

On one property had a neighbors tractor run over my garden while he was mowing , there went my veggies and fruit trees .

It is getting so a person can't find out what land is his .

Thanks for any suggestions .

You might try getting in touch with UT's civil engineering department.  Yeah, I know school's out so it may be difficult, but these folks train surveyors and must have a good idea of how to get in touch with somebody who might be able to help you.

Long story , will try and make it short .

Bought the property with a house , everyone around is family to original owner/builder , 2 of the "neighbors" were raised in my house . So I am surrounded by an entire clan . They claim I didn't buy property , just the house ( deed says different ).

So I am looking to know where my property ends , and theirs begins . I just want to keep 4 wheelers and tractors from tearing up my garden , they have been running the tractor over my septic tank ( they say it is there property ) but since it started to collapse They say I need to fix it , going to have it looked at already . But they continue to drive over it just for fun . Have to listen to mag dumps all hours of the night , but I don't even get to use air guns . Last 2 years as soon as I left , they stripped my blueberry bushes clean .

I just need to know what is mine , so I can eventually fence it off . Can't even let my dogs out in the fenced part of my yard , they do not like my pit bull . Deed says I own a few acres , they say I don't even own my driveway ( but again I have to fix the whole thing )

Beginning not to like TN as much as I did . At least this neighborhood .🙂

• Wow 1
7 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

@Capt.Dunsel that sounds like a tough situation.

http://www.blountgis.org

These folks might also either be able to help or recommend someone.

I don’t think that a government agency is going to recommend anyone, at least they shouldn’t, but I would call the Blount Co. Property Assessor first, then the Register of Deeds.

Regardless, sounds like a no win situation wherever the boundaries are.  E.T is a wonderful place but the natives are tribal as hell and don’t take to too much change on “their” land.

7 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I don’t think that a government agency is going to recommend anyone, at least they shouldn’t, but I would call the Blount Co. Property Assessor first, then the Register of Deeds.

Regardless, sounds like a no win situation wherever the boundaries are.  E.T is a wonderful place but the natives are tribal as hell and don’t take to too much change on “their” land.

You're right. They may have a list of folks working in the county, it would also be worth asking if a survey could be contracted for with the County.

Sounds like OP already has a deed proving land ownership, and the neighbors won't abide. Not sure a survey (or a fence, for that matter) will change that...

I think Kevin Collins works Blount county.  Google lists him as Collins land surveying. 865-577-1140. He has looked at multiple sites for me and has been quite helpful. 

8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You need a licensed surveyor. Usually, property is staked before a sale, but I don’t guess it has to be.

You also may need an attorney. A bad neighbor can be nearly as miserable as a bad wife.

Yeah I found all the stakes , they were in a pile next to my mailbox .

3 hours ago, Capt.Dunsel said:

Yeah I found all the stakes , they were in a pile next to my mailbox .

There should also be metal pins in the ground. You can probably take a tape measure and metal detector with your plat and find them.

14 hours ago, Capt.Dunsel said:

Bought the property with a house , everyone around is family to original owner/builder , 2 of the "neighbors" were raised in my house . So I am surrounded by an entire clan . They claim I didn't buy property , just the house ( deed says different ).

3 hours ago, Capt.Dunsel said:

If you had in appraisal and title search, it should show the dimensions of your property.

if it is a regular shaped piece of property you should be abld to pce it off, and re- stake.

Take pictures.

An inquiry with Blount County, Property Assessment should show the legal description of boundaries as well.

The recorded deed is what I'd show law enforcement if friendly conversation doesn't work.

PM me for a referral, in December, I began working in  in the mortgage - title - insurance business.

53 minutes ago, btq96r said:

This is the kind of story that ends up on the evening news six months later.  Good luck, Capt.

More truth to this than I like to think about.

@Capt.Dunsel I think that I'd get the survey and start digging corner post holes immediately. That way they can't move the pins and claim that they were never there. I think that I'd also let the Sheriff's Office know about what is going on by filing a report over the septic tank. Once you have a report number it's a matter of record regardless of whether the Sheriff actually does something about it. Remember: The first one reporting is assumed to be the victim. By having a report of previous incidents it supports your case of future incidents - which sounds like you are destined for.

• Like 2

If you have title insurance notify them. I have had a similar experience. First time title insurance took care of everything. Second time I had a different title insurance company due to refinancing the mortgage and I had to retain an attorney. The fact I had legal representation both times stopped the trespassing.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Henry said:

f you have title insurance notify them. I have had a similar experience. First time title insurance took care of everything. Second time I had a different title insurance company due to refinancing the mortgage and I had to retain an attorney. The fact I had legal representation both times stopped the trespassing.

My wife works for a title company in Knoxville and says that she believes the title insurance doesn't apply to the property, just the home. It's still a good idea to call though. @Capt.Dunsel I would call the title company you used when you purchased the home and property and see if they can help. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, btq96r said:

This is the kind of story that ends up on the evening news six months later.  Good luck, Capt.

I to highly recommend you involve local law-enforcement post haste. The blunt truth is that this is the kind of story that often ends with news reports of somebody getting shot. If there’s any shooting going on, I’d really rather have the cops be the one to do it. It’s a lot less likely to cost you your life savings and freedom.

• Like 1

gregintenn , it was the metal pins I got in the mailbox 😀

A.J. Holst , irregular shaped property , when they saw me pacing it off that's when I got the pins in the mailbox. Like I said , I live in the donut hole in the original owners , rest built up around it . It is the highest property , when it floods they get wet basements and I get cut off from the world .

While pacing off property found the remnants of a meth lab in the torn down shed  , still with chems in jugs ( I used to live in CA and my brother is a meth head so I know what it is ).Doubt they want the Sherriff out here .😁

Have a call into realtor I worked with asking them which one they use , might lead to one faster. Have had  calls into 4 surveyors , 2 no call backs , 1 isn't taking jobs out here , 1 said won't do it in the rain call him back in a couple months ( probably be too hot then ).

You’ve got a problem that a survey is unlikely to solve.

THIS. It's apparent they don't care what you bought, you're an interloper.

it would also be worth asking if a survey could be contracted for with the County.

Don't waste your time. The county doesn't get involved in this type of issue and the will not do a survey for you.

My wife works for a title company in Knoxville and says that she believes the title insurance doesn't apply to the property, just the home.

Title insurance involves the real estate which it the land and improvements.

The first guy you’ll want to talk to is probably the sheriff.

This. Establish yourself as the victim from the legal aspect.

FWIW I'm an old real estate appraiser and I've seen this before. You done bought yourself into a nest of family.

Good luck and carry concealed.

• Like 2