Spyderco Yojimbo 2

• Moderators

I don't post much about knives here. I suppose it is a shame because overall I really enjoy knives just as much as I do firearms. Thus, I decided to post about my favorite knife of all time and my current EDC.

Spyderco Yojimbo 2. It features of a wharncliffe blade profile and a Spyderco compression lock. I'll be honest, for years I discounted many of the Spyderco knives because I thought that the "compression lock" was the same as a linear lock. I couldn't be more wrong!

Two things happened.

1. I realized that no folding knife can take the place of a fixed blade. In other words, any/all locks will fail under the right circumstances.
  2. I watched this video. This, along with other research, gave me enough confidence that the compression locks are quite a bit better than linear locks.

You can read more about different lock types offered by Spyderco here.

I'm sorry, I just have a prejudice against linear locks. No offense implied to anyone that likes them.

I present to thee...the Yojimbo 2!

Zb3X4gd.jpg

aZDVIcr.jpg

I'm not exaggerating when I state that it is my favorite knife ever. I just feels perfect in the hand and in the pocket. Just decided to post some pictures of it today since it has been on my mind.

Spyderco showed off a "Yojumbo" a few days ago. I'm lusting.

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

Hmmm.....I wonder if I could make a fixed blade version of that Yojumo....

I'd say so! Spyderco makes a fixed version...but sadly it doesn't have as nice blade steel and that's the only reason I haven't bought it. I like S30V.

Spyderco Ronin 2

Edited by GlockSpock

I would challenge you to that task, if you made it in Damascus steel with a 3"'-3 1/2" blade, I would most likely buy it. You know me I like to challenge your skills.

Edited by DJTC45
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

I prefer a compression lock, too. I’ve carried a PM2 EDC for years.

While I can’t speak for every maker - I’m fairly certain that on a Spyderco you’d damage the knife before you get the lock to give out.

You should always use the right knife for the job, and there’s a reason I carry a fixed blade in the field.  But for EDC, Spyderco has had a place in my pocket since I got my first Rescue model in 1991.

CPM S30V is a great value in steel. I can remember just a few years ago when it was the super steel. It’s easy to maintain and carries a great edge. My current PM2 is in M390, and I can’t say enough good things about it.

The fact that this sprint run was in Swiss Army red was kind of a must have for me: https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-paramilitary-2-red-g-10-m390-blade

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I prefer a compression lock, too. I’ve carried a PM2 EDC for years.

While I can’t speak for every maker - I’m fairly certain that on a Spyderco you’d damage the knife before you get the lock to give out.

You should always use the right knife for the job, and there’s a reason I carry a fixed blade in the field.  But for EDC, Spyderco has had a place in my pocket since I got my first Rescue model in 1991.

CPM S30V is a great value in steel. I can remember just a few years ago when it was the super steel. It’s easy to maintain and carries a great edge. My current PM2 is in M390, and I can’t say enough good things about it.

The fact that this sprint run was in Swiss Army red was kind of a must have for me: https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-paramilitary-2-red-g-10-m390-blade

I've thought about getting a PM2 just because that's the knife everyone swears by. Have you seen this sprint run?

https://bladeops.com/spyderco-para-military-2-emerson-opener-satin-plainedge-exclusive/

• Moderators
1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t know that my pockets are big enough for that thing.

The Spyderco Smock may be my favorite Wharncliffe style blade: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Smock-Flipper-Knife-Carbon--81450

I discovered that a few weeks ago. I almost instantly bought it, but when I saw it was Taiwan manufactured instead of U.S.A., I admit it was a bit of a turnoff due to principal. I admit I'll probably still buy one at some point. Love the design and blade profile.

• Admin Team
23 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I discovered that a few weeks ago. I almost instantly bought it, but when I saw it was Taiwan manufactured instead of U.S.A., I admit it was a bit of a turnoff due to principal. I admit I'll probably still buy one at some point. Love the design and blade profile.

I’ll have to check. I think mine has a Golden, CO stamp. 

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

Please do. 

I was wrong - it does have a Taiwan stamp.  I still have a bunch of Seki City, Japan knives, and a few Taiwanese ones.

Honestly, there were some years where both of those beat our domestic made ones on fit and finish.  It’s been several years since you could say that, though.

I prefer US production, but I’m not going to be exclusive when I know Sal and Spyderco have built and supported some of those relationships over a long period of time.

Sal himself once said, “The opposite of war isn’t peace, it’s trade.”

BTW, if you’re going to pull the trigger on that BladeOps PM2, I wouldn’t wait on it for too long.  That’s a sprint run that may last a bit longer than normal, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t last the weekend. That saber grind is interesting.  

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I was wrong - it does have a Taiwan stamp.  I still have a bunch of Seki City, Japan knives, and a few Taiwanese ones.

Honestly, there were some years where both of those beat our domestic made ones on fit and finish.  It’s been several years since you could say that, though.

I prefer US production, but I’m not going to be exclusive when I know Sal and Spyderco have built and supported some of those relationships over a long period of time.

Sal himself once said, “The opposite of war isn’t peace, it’s trade.”

BTW, if you’re going to pull the trigger on that BladeOps PM2, I wouldn’t wait on it for too long.  That’s a sprint run that may last a bit longer than normal, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t last the weekend. That saber grind is interesting.  

I just bought that sprint run. Guess you should too. 

• Admin Team
3 hours ago, hughd said:

Oh yeah.

They did two runs of that one - and another with the PM3 in the same configuration.

If you wanted one, you pretty much had to be on the site with your finger on the ‘Complete Order’ button when they dropped.

They were literally gone in minutes. 

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

I appreciate the thought and took a look as soon as you posted it. I cannot say purple is...my thing.

The aftermarket scale market is strong for most Spydercos.  That sprint run will sell out quick for people wanting CruWear.

The one you’ve got in S30V is more than adequate for just about any job you’d throw at it. 

• Moderators
On 1/14/2023 at 10:47 PM, MacGyver said:

The aftermarket scale market is strong for most Spydercos.  That sprint run will sell out quick for people wanting CruWear.

The one you’ve got in S30V is more than adequate for just about any job you’d throw at it. 

Sadly, I lost my Yojimbo a few months back. I've been meaning to replace it. What exactly are the benefits of "CruWear" over standard S30V?

• Admin Team

It's usually a little easier to sharpen.

S30V holds a better edge on paper - but it also deforms and chips easier - so most users will get a better, longer serviceable edge out of CruWear.

CruWear is not quite as stainless as S30V - but with a coated blade and modern, non-abusive use cases - I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.

Truth is they're both great blade steels.  S30V was groundbreaking in the first generation of powdered steels.  CruWear is a lot of folk's dream steel.