Rimfire Experts- you have $2K for a complete build...

What do you get?  Looking for bolt action for bench shooting and must include glass   I can probably go a little over that budget if needed.  Looking at potentially shooting Rimfire matches.

Do you buy new or used?  Any recommendations on forums/websites/places to buy?

I know almost nothing about rimfire.  I do have two Surefire 22LR cans, so threaded barrel is important.  

Any advice is appreciated.  

Edited by asu174
32 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

If you are going to put a can on it, you don’t need to spend $2K. Buy a $150 rifle, but a $100 scope on it and call it a day. :)

:leaving:

Fair point.  I’d like the option to put my can on it, but if it’s going to just blow back carbon into a highly accurized barrel, then I can pass on that.  I saw pics of some high end rifles with cans and (not knowing rimfire) figured there was some purpose to it.  

$2K for a .22 is kind of mind boggling unless you’re a professional competitive shooter or an Olympian.  Sure you want to drop that much on a platform that has very limited range?

Edited by Garufa
18 minutes ago, Garufa said:

$2K for a .22 is kind of mind boggling unless you’re a professional competitive shooter or an Olympian.  Sure you want to drop that much on a platform that has very limited range?

Not sure are all, which is why I’m asking.  I’ve been looking at $2K-3K base rifles (no optic) this morning with $1K-$2K optics, which is probably overkill.  These guys are shooting FAR for a 22LR.

I probably shouldn’t have sold my TacSol X-Ring without giving it a fair shot, but I really don’t like 10/22s that much for some reason.  

For 2K you can buy a couple of excellent entry level guns + top quality glass and a lot of ammo.  Buy a nice rifle and give it a whirl. Then decide if  you really want to spend that kind of money or even if .22 competition is your thing. 

You can get some excellent advice over at RimfireCentral.com. But I'd just ask about getting into competition and not mention any price range. Granted tho, some of those guys have some seriously expensive .22s.   :eek:

• Like 2

So first question do you just want to shoot off of a bench or are you thinking you may like "Benchrest" shooting.  Big difference between them.  I am about as deep down the custom 22 rabbit hole as one can go and would be glad to discuss real details with you about what may work for what you want.  Also, are you looking to travel to some matches, or is this just informal plinking where you want a really nice gun, but aren't really interested in competition?  Lots of variables that would lead me to give you different recommendations.

In the BR world, 2k is not a lot for a gun, let alone a gun and scope, but it could be done.  If you think you want to shoot something more like NRL22, then that's a different discussion, but there also expensive guns in that realm too.   I have them all and will try to help you get what you actually need.  Glad to have a call with you if you want as well.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

So first question do you just want to shoot off of a bench or are you thinking you may like "Benchrest" shooting.  Big difference between them.  I am about as deep down the custom 22 rabbit hole as one can go and would be glad to discuss real details with you about what may work for what you want.  Also, are you looking to travel to some matches, or is this just informal plinking where you want a really nice gun, but aren't really interested in competition?  Lots of variables that would lead me to give you different recommendations.

In the BR world, 2k is not a lot for a gun, let alone a gun and scope, but it could be done.  If you think you want to shoot something more like NRL22, then that's a different discussion, but there also expensive guns in that realm too.   I have them all and will try to help you get what you actually need.  Glad to have a call with you if you want as well.  

Great questions.  Spent some time on Rimfire Central and those dudes go DEEP in this.  I thought I was interested in competition until reading over there.  I’m realizing I’m not willing to take something that seriously right now.

Pivoting.  For the ONLY 22LR you could own for target shooting, plinking, and maybe some casual competition, what is the best bolt action option in that “higher end” category?  Is that $1K?

I do appreciate the offer for the call and I may take you up on it, but I think this idea just got much simpler and cheaper based on the reactions.

• Like 1

I am one of those dudes :).  I run another Rimfire Benchrest forum and know pretty well most of the guys on RFC.

So that's the challenge, competition covers a broad spectrum.  If BR is the type of competition you would want to do, the guns don't lend themselves to plinking as I think of it as they aren't made to carry around.  On the other side, a gun that is good to carry around isn't good for any real BR.  

Now if we are talking NRL22 type of competition (shooting at ranges from 30-150 yards at various targets) then you can definitely find something to work.  Then you get into factory vs custom and when custom starts to come into play you are looking at quite a bit more money.  

The type of scopes you would use are also vastly different.  You would want a fairly high magnification (36-55x on the high end) 2nd plane scope for BR work and something in a FFP 4-30 range for NRL22.

If target shooting to hit small dots is fun for you, BR is probably more to your liking.  If hitting targets in the 1-4" range at differing distances is more fun for you, then NRL22 is probably more fun.

All of them can be very expensive if you do them seriously.  Ammo is expensive and you can't just use $5/ box ammo.

If you can let us know what style of shooting seems to be closer to what you are thinking, we can probably give better details on possible rifles to consider.

Edited by Hozzie

Maybe another way of looking at it:

Custom BR Gun:spacer.png

Custom NRL22 Gun:spacer.png

Cheap NRL22 Gunspacer.png

Is there a big difference in the two NRL22 guns.  Yes and no.  The custom gun is definitely better, but is it as much better than the cost....debatable unless you are pretty serious.

If you are the type that naturally is inquisitive about chambering specs/dimensions, firing pin fall, etc, then the custom route may be to your liking.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

Cheap 22NRL gun.  I’m not cut out for door #1 and #2.  Punching paper off a bipod with rear rest.  Not sloppy semi auto plinking.

Right now, my interest is in the CZ 457 Varmint Precision Trainer...which is probably junk compared to that “cheap” NRL22 gun.  But even that CZ is $1K.  Add scope and accessories, I’m really not that far away from $2K.  

Edited by asu174

Funny enough, that "Cheap" gun really is a cheap gun.  It's a Savage FV-SR in a Boyds stock that I finished and put in the cheek riser.  I found the unfinished stock on sale for something like $80 so I just made it my own so to speak.  You can put this gun together for less around $450 now and add a scope.  I have a buddy that just bought one and ordered a Boyds At-One stock to put it in.  It makes a nice combination.

That being said, it's a Savage which means two things.  One, it will probably be pretty accurate, but two it is an unrefined, ugly action.  The trigger will be decent for what it is.

I love CZ's, but wouldn't pay that kind of money for any 457.  They made some improvements to them, but they are now also single lug actions.  I think a 452/453 is a better choice, but harder to find.

For the 1k price, I would probably be looking for a nice condition older Anschutz.  Even a 64 action (vs the better 54) will still shoot great.  You can find something like a 64 MPR which is a nice mix between sporter and BR that will work well off a bag.  A 1416 D HB would be a good sporter type rifle.  Fit and finish will be way better than either CZ or Savage.  They can both be found used for about a 20% discount.

Champions Choice in Lavergne has them both new if you want to just buy one new.  Nice thing is you could go look at them and see if one has better would than another.  They are closed right now because of COVID, but I would think they will be open soon.  Downside is you would have to pay tax.  For reference, each is linked below.  

http://champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=009980

http://champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=009977

Here is a 1416 for sale of RFC.  I would want to see some more pictures, but gives you an idea of what they go for used.  https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=250613

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, asu174 said:

I thought I was interested in competition until reading over there.  I’m realizing I’m not willing to take something that seriously right now.

Why not? I would think it would be a great way to learn. When I first started shooting PPC I wasn’t an expert. You can read all you want, but when you see your team leader pull an off the shelf duty gun from his holster and drill the center out of a target; it makes you pay attention and learn.

The TIkka T1X has a pretty decent following for cheaper entry into nrl22 and it has some chassis options, I would probably take it over the 455/457.  The vudu v- 22 is the pinnacle in my eyes for nrl22 but is costly (it's one of those situations where my training platform costs more than my platform...)

The second pic above is my Vudoo.  It's a nice gun and shoots good, but man is it heavy with that MPA BA Chassis.  I didn't realize how heavy it would be.   I haven't shot much with it yet so maybe that will be good, but it was surprising. 

Guest BCR#1
On 5/8/2020 at 8:40 PM, Hozzie said:

Maybe another way of looking at it:

Custom BR Gun:spacer.png

That is the first "black" bloop tube I've seen. The rest in the foreground is probably $1K by itself. Anyway, I just purchased a new CZ 457 American for $442.09 shipped from KY Gun Co. The glass is a Bushnell Nitro 6-24x50 Duplex from BPS for $349.99 + tax and I'm waiting on a set of Warne rings to arrive later this week.

We have an informal .22LR shoot every Monday morning @ CRC in Ooltewah. Some shoot for the smallest group size while others shoot at aspirin and thumb tacks. All shooting is done @ 50 or 100 yards.

Bill

I shoot the ARA matches at CRC periodically.  Mike who runs the matches is one of the nicest guys in our sport.  Come out some Saturday they are having a match (usually third Saturday of the month).  Next one is May 23rd, but it may be cancelled as our bis shoot in Bristol is that weekend. 

Guest BCR#1
21 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I shoot the ARA matches at CRC periodically.  Mike who runs the matches is one of the nicest guys in our sport.  Come out some Saturday they are having a match (usually third Saturday of the month).  Next one is May 23rd, but it may be cancelled as our bis shoot in Bristol is that weekend. 

Mike usually shoots in the BR50 matches also, run by Tom Reeves. Did Mike happen to make the stock in that mount?

Bill

Guest BCR#1
On 5/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, Garufa said:

$2K is entry level for serious BR guys. Most of the guns I see used are $5K and above not including the mount they sit in.

Bill

2 hours ago, BCR#1 said:

Mike usually shoots in the BR50 matches also, run by Tom Reeves. Did Mike happen to make the stock in that mount?

Bill

No, that stock profile is made by a guy named Brent Lidgard.   Mike's stocks are based on Bill Pippin's design.   I am using a different type now that uses Dymalux which is a very dense laminated wood.  Lots of options out there these days.

12 hours ago, BCR#1 said:

$2K is entry level for serious BR guys. Most of the guns I see used are $5K and above not including the mount they sit in.

Bill

Never really thought about it but am still flabbergasted.  Me and my Savage Mark II BTV will just carry on for my style of shooting.  I can’t imagine getting much more accurate, it would ruin me. :lol:

• Haha 1
52 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Never really thought about it but am still flabbergasted.  Me and my Savage Mark II BTV will just carry on for my style of shooting.  I can’t imagine getting much more accurate, it would ruin me. :lol:

The cost of the rifles is the cheap part.  So many get focused on the cost of building a rifle, but don't realize that all of the other items needed to shoot BR add up fast (rest, wind flags, travel, etc).  The most under appreciated cost on all of it is the cost of ammo.  A lot of people think, oh it's rimfire, ammo is cheap.  Wrong.  I probably spend $1000/year on just test lots.  Then when you find a lot that works, cases run between $1100 and $1700 per case.  It's easy to go through a couple of cases per year if you shoot much.

That being said, there are other hobbies that cost a heck of a lot more so it's all relative I guess.   

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
Guest BCR#1

If Champions Choice EVER decides to reopen to retail foot traffic, two friends and I plan to grace their doorway to buy a few test lots, (2-3 fifty round boxes of each brand but different lot numbers) of mid priced Eley, SK, Wolf and maybe RWS to see what works the best in our rifles and then purchase 500 round bricks of that lot number and brand.

Remington golden trash and Federal 550 bulk won't cut it when punching paper.

Bill