Havalon Barracuda

Guest BCR#1

Guest BCR#1

This knife was included free with the purchase of a Bushnell Nitro scope I purchased earlier today. I think it is a skinning knife and I don't have any use for it as I don't hunt. I guess the blades don't hold an edge very well as there are 5 spares included with the knife I may re-gift it or use it for trade fodder.

Are they decent quality or pricey junk? https://www.havalon.com/baracuta-blaze-pack-includes

Edited by BCR#1

It's a skinning blade that uses replacement blades like a razor blade.  They are meant to be thin and super sharp to make the job easy and the replacement blades are there so you don't have to re-sharpen it. I don't know anything about that brand, but I've seen the design before.

• Admin Team
17 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’ve got a Havalon multitool that uses the scalpel and saw blades. I’m pretty sure that someone with a steadier hand than I can use it to split dermal layers if they wanted to. 

I remember the old Victorinox saw blades that were just amazingly sharp.

That was my standard for a saw blade until I used the Havalon. I wouldn’t hesitate to choose that as my bone saw if I was quartering an animal to pack out. 

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

My only qualm with the Havalon is that you really need at least a multitool and maybe gloves as well to really change a blade safely - at least on my early model.

While I always have those with me in the field - I don’t like using something where a simple mistake could really require urgent medical attention.

It’s generally not an issue since they’re sharp enough to handle anything on one blade - and you could certainly touch it up on a stone like you would any other knife. But, it’s something to be aware of.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

My only qualm with the Havalon is that you really need at least a multitool and maybe gloves as well to really change a blade safely - at least on my early model.

While I always have those with me in the field - I don’t like using something where a simple mistake could really require urgent medical attention.

It’s generally not an issue since they’re sharp enough to handle anything on one blade - and you could certainly touch it up on a stone like you would any other knife. But, it’s something to be aware of.

I have a little plastic tool expressly purpose built for changing blades. If yours uses the piranta style blades, this is likely exactly what you need. 
https://www.havalon.com/blade-remover-4-pk-in-clam

• Like 2