Ruger American Rimfire vs Savage B22 FVSR

I'm looking into buying a decent bolt .22lr for mostly squirrel hunting but will also be used for wild hogs under 50yds. I'm torn between either the Ruger American Go Wild or the Savage B22 FVSR. I do have some experience with Savage, I've currently got a A22 Target Thumbhole that can put 10 shots in a dime at 50yds. I've dropped many a pig with stingers and ear shots. But I'm wanting a synthetic bolt gun now for those longer hikes and the shorter barrel.

Anybody using either model that can give me some feedback? Leaning towards the Ruger just because it looks sweet and itd match my Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor in Go Wild. Looking forward to some opinions.

IMBrush-L.jpg

113508.jpg

7 hours ago, ballz71 said:

To me the ruger feels like a real guy and the savage has a toy feel to it. Also. I believe the fit and finish is better on the ruger. Plus it takes 10 22 mags so you can up size if needed. 

That's what I'm leaning too, I'm really liking that Ruger. My Savage A22 fit and finish is very good and feels like a real gun but it's got a Boyd's Laminate from the factory. Believe I'm going to just go with the Ruger. Just hope it doesn't take months to get in with everything going on.

Never had a Savage in my hands so this is not a comparison. I fell in love with the Ruger American the first time I held one, it felt right. I would have loved to bought it on the spot but was out of state at the time. When I went back home I went to my local gun store and they had one for $50 more than the out of state shop. I mentioned that to the dealer and he sharpened his pencil and came down $40 and I took it home. Mine is the original American and I have added a scope. It shoots better than me.

Late to the game but I have a Ruger Rimfire and my dad has an older Savage FVSR. Ruger is definitely the way to go IMO. Fit and finish are better and the magazines are higher quality. The Savages magazines split over time. Maybe they have fixed that in the newer models but it still wouldn’t sway me that way. 

Just got called by the local gun shop and said the Ruger was in so I went and picked it up. Got there filled the paperwork out and after 20 min of waiting it came back denied. Luckily for me I went through this same stuff back a few months ago. They though I was a different dude that had been incarcerated lol.

Mark called and got on the phone with them and gave them my social and driver license number and they approved it. They did tell me that whenever I buy a gun to make sure the ffl put in my social and driver license number. I know I've bought from Walmart and never had a problem but some ffl's must skip the social and dl number.

But anyways I brought the gun home, before ever shooting I took it all apart cleaned it. Also made sure to tighten the action bolts to specs. Only ammo I had was some Aguila Super Extra in 40gr. Sighted it in at 35 yards and I'm pleased with the grouping outta that cheap ammo. Haven't even put 50 rounds through so I can only imagine itll get better. I could probably click the scope another click to the left but just wanted to shoot it a bit first. Also for reference the circle is the size of a dime, and its 10 round groups. 

As far as the gun I really like it, the gun feels good, the bolt works smooth for a new gun and the trigger is great. I did adjust it to the lowest setting. The only complaint I got with it is the factory magazine likes to hang a little bit so it takes some force to get it out. But hoping itll free up some as its used.

Resizer_15895824473100.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a little update on the Ruger American Rimfire, I've put around 1000 rounds of Aguila Super Extra through it with no ftf or jams. Its cycled all rounds flawlessly and is a tack driver.

I've not tried any other ammo through it because it loves the Aguila and it's super cheap. The only thing I dont like about the Aguila is it's very dirty. After about 200 rounds I gotta clean the gun because the groups start opening up. I did change out the Vortex and put a Bushnell AO scope on it for closer shooting. 

I like the Go Wild Editions so much I'm ordering a .300 Win Mag in it. Gonna look good next to the .22 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Highly recommend these guns if anybody is in the market for a new rifle.

20200629_191519.jpg

21 minutes ago, Henry347 said:

Just a little update on the Ruger American Rimfire, I've put around 1000 rounds of Aguila Super Extra through it with no ftf or jams. Its cycled all rounds flawlessly and is a tack driver.

I've not tried any other ammo through it because it loves the Aguila and it's super cheap. The only thing I dont like about the Aguila is it's very dirty. After about 200 rounds I gotta clean the gun because the groups start opening up. I did change out the Vortex and put a Bushnell AO scope on it for closer shooting. 

I like the Go Wild Editions so much I'm ordering a .300 Win Mag in it. Gonna look good next to the .22 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Highly recommend these guns if anybody is in the market for a new rifle.

20200629_191519.jpg

Try some Wolf Match Target or SK Standard Plus (same stuff ).  Midrange target ammo in price, but generally excels in performance and expectations.

15 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Try some Wolf Match Target or SK Standard Plus (same stuff ).  Midrange target ammo in price, but generally excels in performance and expectations.

If I ever run across some I will, I pay $3 a box for the Aguila here local. And I'm very impressed with it for the money, but like I said its dirty.

If I do my part I can put 5 shots in a dime at 50 yards with the Aguila outta the Ruger. Just gotta swab the barrel every 200 rounds or that group opens up.

Guest BCR#1

Eley makes the Wolf target ammo now. If you want good, cheap and cleaner burning ammo then I recommend these before they're all sold out. It's what I practice with in my CZ 457 American and Ruger MK II pistol. https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/eley-ammunition/1099-eley-action-22lr-rec-pack-of-300-rimfire-cartridges.html

I buy it by the case and get free shipping.

Bill

Update: I ordered 52 bricks for four different shooters. Free shipping on orders over $500.00

Edited by BCR#1
Added information