Canik holster review

eBay holder for the Canik TP9SFx

IWB - $39.95 shipped

Any drawbacks - not really but “because Canik” you’ll get a mark on the holster from the extended slide release on this model. Retention is not click retention, just friction. 

It fits, it’s medium grade quality compared to “super awesome custom everything”. The leather is the same you’ll find on $200 - $300 saddlebags on a motorcycle. Not super cheap, not super awesome.  The optical fits perfectly, no issues there. For the money it’s a win. You can spend more, you can get more. In the under $40 class of IWB with optical you are way ahead of the game with this one. 

In racing we say how fast you wanna go, how much money you wanna spend? This would be a time-slip you didn’t expect to get for what you paid. Surprisingly decent. 

(Clickable thumbs)

10-F62696-77-B7-46-E7-97-E7-04-A478-A42-

349-DE5-C8-5-F6-A-4-D81-8190-60-C4712-AD

450950-A1-BF62-4-B84-A4-AE-739605-B54-F8

5-AC61-B78-75-AD-4-A5-A-93-D4-0-F87-F199

BDF81-D09-3-DD4-4203-B979-118-D854-BCD4-

D9-A53568-114-F-4-D35-ACD1-D0976-A2-A34-

DE37-EEE9-955-C-42-F7-9-EEA-DB504-C2-DAD

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Update: I repurposed this to carry my Elite SC so I cut off an inch and a half as well as curved the side that goes on the leg when you bend. Made a nice difference and is proving to be a comfortable holster. Also didn’t realize how thick the Kydex was until I compared it to another holster (factory Canik Elite SC holster).   I think for what I paid I did well. 

030404-C2-D3-C9-40-CF-9-CFC-CEDC4-E9-F9-

A4-F1-D696-9-A2-E-470-C-B041-8-FE102-E73

A9546-EF3-5-D3-B-4-C9-F-B6-E7-457-FB754-

E124-D987-8-D5-E-4848-87-B3-F12-FEAC152-

F4-A46-D2-C-56-D3-47-DC-98-FA-076131-C22

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, hipower said:

Thanks for the pics. I like what you've done here. I believe I'll be looking into this myself. 

The only thing i have to say that’s not good is that I’ll repeat myself about it being non retention. While you are wearing it that means nothing because your hip presses the leather in and it has never moved on me at all - even riding my motorcycle (where you move around a lot). It’s not cracked or frayed in any way And it’s still as solid as when I bought it so for the money it’s awesome, but just that one thing should be noted because i have one situation that comes up occasionally with the retention issue. The issue is that when it’s off person the gun can easily fall out of the holster and the only time that matters is when I’m having a day that the shorts are too tight on my fat arse and I’m not feeling wearing the holster while driving my truck. I’ll unclip the holster and gun and set it in my (a) glovebox (b) console (c) between the seat or behind it. This means that if there are rough roads, a big jolt, sweeping turns, etc..... there is a chance (happened once) that the gun can slide out of the holster and you have to reach down and pick up a hot gun that has no trigger guard. I’m always careful so no chance of me grabbing it wrong, but if you had a passenger and they needed to get in the glovebox, console, etc and you trusted them and said “it’s under the gun and holster in the console just grab it out of there” then you may have someone reaching for a live trigger that is out of the holster.  Yeah, it’s a long shot and sure it’s going to boil down to responsible handling, but in a world of idiot proofing things for people safety - it’s just something to be aware of. As far as real issues go, nothing to complain about. I have several months of use now and it’s just as nice as when i bought it. I expected leather wear and it hasn’t worn at all other than taking a comfortable shape. 

• Like 2

I make my own holsters out of leather and Kydex. Prior to wearing it, I'll put the firearm (unloaded) in the holster, turn the holster upside down, and shake it over a bed. If the gun falls out, I readjust the tension screws or remold the Kydex.