Walther PPK/S going back to battery problems

Cojo87

Not sure if this has been discussed or not in this forum, I'm relatively new here. But I'll throw this out there....

I have a S&W Walther ppks. All stainless. Purchased used, but was told only one magazine (7rds) had been ran through it and then put away. I tend to believe the guy I purchased from. (Gun was spotless and the second mag had never been used)

Seems after every few rounds being fired through the pistol it fails to go back into battery. At first I thought this was a FTF, but all it takes is me to push the slide forward (with not much force) and its rocking again. This has happened with all different types of ammo. I did just order some new recoil springs from Wolff, hopefully that will correct. But I'm curious if anyone else has had these issues and it there is a proper fix for it. Thanks!

31 minutes ago, leroy said:

RU takin a good grip on this little pistola..?  Try to take a good solid grip and don't change it between shots and see what happens...

leroy

I am not limp wristing, I was aware of that could/has been a common problem. 

• Like 1

I had a Taurus 24/7 with a similar problem.  It worked fine with aluminum cases, but brass cases would hang.  Taurus "adjusted" the extractor, and that helped some.  You could see where it had been filed/ground.  The second time back they replaced the recoil spring assembly as well.

I own several PP series pistols including a S&W although mine is in  .32acp.  I've never had a problem with any of them. 

Best guess from the description given, the extractor may be sticking, dirty or gummed up. Also check its recess in the breech end of the barrel. I have seen this in other guns. It's just enough to keep the slide from going completely into battery. A new recoil spring may fix it, but I'd still check the extractor just to be sure. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Try a little grease on the slide rails.  It’s amazing what proper lubrication can do.

The best " no cost " solution by far...!  This little pistola, bein stainless, has a bit of a tendency ta be " sticky " anyway... Clean it all the way up n lube as Mr Garufa recommended..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I own several PP series pistols including a S&W although mine is in  .32acp.  I've never had a problem with any of them. 

Best guess from the description given, the extractor may be sticking, dirty or gummed up. Also check its recess in the breech end of the barrel. I have seen this in other guns. It's just enough to keep the slide from going completely into battery. A new recoil spring may fix it, but I'd still check the extractor just to be sure. 

I'd love to have one of these in .32ACP.

53 minutes ago, Moped said:

I'd love to have one of these in .32ACP.

Yeah, the Walther PP series is another one of those guns I sorta have a thing for. ;)

The S&W version in .32 is quite scarce. I bought the only one I ever saw for sale. :D Sent it to Walther Arms in Ft. Smith Ark. to have the recall done and its been 100%. Great little gun. :up:

cqgI1K8.jpg

top row: .380s

Middle row: 32acp

Bottom row: .22LR

BTW: Bond's gun was a Blue PPK in .32. If I ever run across one, I'll buy it! ;)

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Try a little grease on the slide rails.  It’s amazing what proper lubrication can do.

Gun has been cleaned/greased twice, to no avail. I'm going to check the ejector, and hopefully the new springs should be here soon. 

Theres a 32acp stainless that's been for sale for a few weeks on armslist. I believe he was asking $750 for it. 

Edited by Cojo87
Added
  • Like 1

You also need to check to see if you PPK/S has had the recall done or if it even needs it. Some S&W made PPKs had an issue with accidental discharge when the safety was used. You can find the details at this site: S&W PPK/S recall

If it needs it, send it to Walther Arms in Ft. Smith, Ark. DO NOT SEND IT TO S&W!  Walther will fix it right and fast. They had mine back to me in just 8 days. :D

If you haven't solved your out of battery problem by then, Let Walther look at it while they have it. ;)