Back Yard Range

I finally got all my gongs, and targets, put together and on my range today. I put 1, 12" gong(chest size), 1, 8" gong, and 1, 4" gong on freestanding targets racks today. Also have 2 target stands that will take my cardboard man size cut outs on them. It was so wet that it took me 15 minutes to clean the mud off my sneakers. We have had so much rain as of late. Also had 3 days of frost, but the last day was real spotty.   When we get some warmer dryer weather I will take out two large trees and move a little dirt and it will be totally ready to go. Been a lot of work for an old man. 

Mt wife, grandson and I have already shot several times before now, but am looking forward to shooting the gongs. Always like a little instant confirmation of hits on steel after shots. One gets that shooting steel. I hung them on a slight angle so the bullet splatter will be directed toward the ground, in front of the target, instead of coming back at the shooter. I actually had 2 different occasions where I fired my revolver and 9MM pistol and the bullet came back and brought blood on my shins, so it truly can happen. I had a wooden backstop and the bullet hit a nail head and ricoched back to where I was standing.  Shouldn't have that problem with these targets. My old backstop rotted down 2 years ago so we have been having a hard time shooting. 

I got about 225.00 in all the supplies to put on the targets on the range. Bought most of it on big sales this spring. Should last me a lifetime. Told my sweetie that and she shamed me. Didn't want to hear it. I told her well, at 72, I am already on "Blessed Time" according to the Bible. She wasn't amused with that either. 

Looking forward to having a good place to fire my guns, and do some serious practice where I am not forced to stand in one place, and not be able to draw, move, and shoot with live ammo. The area in front of my dirt mound is very flat and smoothe, and is grassed well now.  Just need a little tree removal,  drying, and warmth. 

Edited to add; Purchased me an new Stihl Farm Boss chain saw last week for serious tree removal. We have several in my back lot that has blown down and needs removal. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 7

Just be warned steel is addictive. I started with 3. I now have over 20 of assorted sizes, not counting a shooting tree that I bring out from time to time. I have a couple of more spots picked out for a few more but haven't decided what yet. I have mine color coded since heavy targets don't ring as well with lower velocity ammo. I have red ones for .22 and airguns, yellow for pistols and carbines and lower velocity and green for most anything I own. There is a steel above AR500 that has the same abilities as AR500 but thinner. A bit more expensive but I have replaced some of my green targets to get better reaction when I hit them with less powerful rounds.

I'll be 72 in a few weeks and more than one thing that I have bought in the last couple of years I have thought that will be the last time I will need to buy one of those.

• Like 1

Jeb sounds like your range is far superior to the one we have. Of course ours is in its early stages but I don't think ours will ever be that big. My grandson told me he was going to bring me a pistol tree with 6 swinging targets on it that is rated up to 44 mag. He already brought me a swinging 22 3 target pipe hanger combo steel target and a rabbit and groundhog steel target for 22's. He was over 3 weeks ago, and shot one of the three 22 LR targets, with a 9 MM pistol, and broke the weld on one of the swinging targets . His dad has a welder so I will get him to repair that target. He knew better but he is 16 and knows all.

This is the first time we have gotten into the AR 500 heavy stuff. Hoping it will stand up to our heavier revolvers, pistols, and rifles. Supposed too. I have 2 rifles, a Savage 308, and A Savage 7MM 08 with 3X9 Weaver scopes, that I need to get the scopes sighted in. As soon as I can cut a Beodok tree, I will finally will have a good 100 yard range to be able to do that. Giving one of the rifles to my youngest grandson at a later date. I purchased them both new at Bass Pro's Thanksgiving day sale last year. Got 165.00 in each one after I finally got my sale price from the store and the 75.00 rebate from Savage. They are the Axis series 1 models. 

I gave my last deer rifle to my 16 Y O grandson Mason 2 years ago. It was a Weatherby Vanguard with a 3X 9Redfield scope on it. He has taken 5 deer with it in the last 2 years. I am in the process of thinning my gun collection, and giving them to my grandchildren, so my wife won't have to deal with that after I am gone, if I go first. Just had to have me another rifle though. Never know when one will really need one. I ain't too proud to eat wild game, if it comes to that. 

Parker hunts deer and hogs, in S Carolina, on a friends dad's farm outside of Charleston, where they live. He is 12 now and loves guns, fishing and hunting. I have given him a few guns already, a Marlin 336 30 30, , Mosbberg 20 GA pump, and handguns, but we have to take them to a local gun store, down there, and have a background check, because it is across state lines, to be totally legal.  Guess I will give him the 308 as it will be easier for him to purchase ammo for. 

His dad also has a 3 yr old Carolina brand ocean going 27 foot boat with a center console, and a Yamaha 150 HP outboard they fish out of all the time. His dad purchased it new. Them things are expensive. Parker and his dad have caught some monster redfish out of the Thompson River in and around Charleston harbor and Fort Sumpter. 

Plan to take a trip down there when the virus lets up a little. Will take the guns with us then. 

The wife and I hope to bust some caps this afternoon. Just may cut the tree also. Feeling good this morning. Who Knows? 

Edited to add; Tww does are walking across our front yard, as I look at the front window, just now. Another grate day is dawning!

Wife and I are looking forward to bustin some caps this afternoon. Who knows, just may cut the tree. Feeling pretty good!

Edited by pop pop

Not gun related, but I really like that saw. My father in-law has one. It's an excellent balance of power and weight and one I can run all day. Sure I'd wake up the next day and know I'd been working a saw all day, but it's manageable. If you change the bar out for a shorter 16" it will cut even better as long as you can get away with the shorter bar.

Got my horrible tree (bodock) cut today and on the ground. Took my sweetie and I 4 hours. Dug around the stump and cut it beneath the ground level so I would not have problems with mowing over it or moving over a big stump in front of  my backstop. I stepped the tree and it was 65' tall and was 18" across the stump. It was a very hard cut under ground level because the roots were very large and I had to cut some before I could get the big saw level for the proper cut. The new saw is a good saw and the tree was so hard sparks were flying off the chain on the saw even though I was not cutting into the dirt with it. I will wake in the morning in your shape monkylizard. Sore and stiff.

I have another walnut tree to cut but that saw will go through it like it is butter because it is walnut is very soft wood.   It should fall well because there is nothing for it to hang on while on  the way to the ground. Removing the bodock opened up a 100 yard lane to the center of my backstop so I can sight in my new rifles as well and shoot handguns much closer.  

I am tired, but elated to get the Devil tree on the ground. Not worried about the other work which we can handle easily. 

Edited by pop pop

Pop Pop, Don't discount living another 20-30 years. If that steel you bought for gongs are from China or Japan, you will probably outlive it!! Just pump lead into them every chance you get. Like Troy says on swamp people, chootem Pop Pop, chootem!!

Well, woke up at 4 this morning and could not go back to sleep. Got up, made coffee, and the dog and I sat in the Lazy Boy and sipped while hunting from the chair on the Outdoor channel. Am sore and my hands ache pretty bad. I knew what I was in for because I was overly tired when I went to bed last evening. Got about 6 hrs sleep which is pretty good for me. Getting long in the tooth is not for sissies, as they say. 

Looks like another good day comin on. Will get the downed tree laid by and out of the way today, L/w. Yes, Dirtshooter, we have plans of several good days on the range soon.  You guys have a good day. 

I've messed with a lot of bodock, it's my favorite for firewood, and least favorite for handling, cutting, splitting, and stacking.  I you haven't cut it up yet get it cut to whatever you want to get it cut down to while it's still green, it gets a lot harder to cut after it's dried. 

Wish I could Dave. May try to get my g-daughter to shoe mw how. I have a new I phone my daughter purchased for me. It takes good pictures my wife says.

My range is small and not really that impressive, but It is the one I have. L/w we hope to use it today. 

On an unrelated subject, I was tied up with my daughter's Horse Trailer pulling truck yesterday evening. She has a 2008 2500 HD Silverado gas burner and the transmission (6 speed automatic) went out. The repair  bid was from 2700. to 4800. to repair, or complete rebuild. Ended up repair for 3000. She feels lucky on this one. Man! I knew it would be high, I thought 2000 to 2500 but Geez! Watch those used truck purchases guys. She has owned the truck for 1 year. 

Hope we have a complete uneventful day today. You guys enjoy your day. 

Bo dock makes some great wood for woodturning. Have made several candy bowls and tops out of it. Made one walking stick for a riverboat gamblers hand cannon. Really hard to turn that small of dia without getting a lot of flex and vibration. Nice pistol gunstocks also. Pop Pop started making a portable metal pistol bullet trap last fall but got side tracked and need to finish it before hot weather. Age does slow the old body down even though the mind still thinks can continue doing hard physical work.

Got out to the range this afternoon. I have an new MP 9 C 2.0 that I have had some problems with not cycling. I took some Federal 115 FMJ practice ammo out this time, and fired 100 rounds through it. Did not have any stoppages out of it, with the federal ammo, this time. I been firing WWB 11gr rn practice ammo previously. I cleaned and lubed the pistol well and had good success with it on this outing. I have another, w/o a safety on it, that I have been carrying for a couple years that I have had no problems with. I have about 800 rounds through it at this time. I really like these pistols, but also have a Taurus 7 shot 357/38Spl  revolver I carry all the time also. I did not fire it on this trip, but have plans to do that on Monday. I think 100 rounds is about my limit with arthritis. 

My wife took her 2 revolvers out(Lady Smith mdl 65 357/38 spl, and Ruger LCR 5 shot 38 Spl and run another hundred rounds of 38 spl through them. She liked the Gongs, for sure, after I sprayed the bare metal with white primer paint so she could see where she was hitting. She was able to hit the 4" gong every time with matter of fact fire, but had to go to the 6" for rapid fire to keep all shots on target. We practiced from 15 ft and had no problems with splatter from the RN ammo. It is my plan to have her learn how to run the MP 9MM C 2.0. Both my MP's have the 4" brls on them but just one does has a manual thumb safety on it. 

Hopefully I will develop some drills and movement into my practice once again. Also want to do some draw and fire drills in the future. I will use the humanoid targets of this. 

Was a nice afternoon for a trip outside shooting. Am tired of being confined to our home because of the virus. Have plans to go to Defeated Creek Campground, outside of Carthage TN, and on Cordell Hull Lake, on the 1st of June. Will stay to the following Saturday as they canceled our first 8 days because of being closed due to the virus, and it is hard to get reservations at that park. Will be elated to get some good times with our grandkids and get some fishing in. Looking forward to some serious outside time.  

• Like 1

Thanks Jeb48 for your suggestions. May get some of that target paint. I just purchased some run of the mill white primer from Home Depot. One good thing about our range is it is fairly well natural lighted but may get a little dimmer as the leaves get thicker.

Bodock is  very hard wood Tom. Was really hard to cut, for sure under ground level. Good thing I had a new saw.  We-gotter-done!

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a very good 50 foot range (as far as backyard ranges go) for handguns, and a fair 100 yard for rifles now. Never had the rifle range until work on this range was done. Looking forward to using it. Going to need some more dirt, to raise the height of the mound, because of the settlement of the pile I have now, but then I knew that. Dirt settles over time, but it last, and don't rot like my old backstop. 

Now I need to build me a new stable rifle firing table, and chair, for my Caldwell Led Sled, so I can do justice to sighting rifles in. I have 2 flat top tables I build, out of treated pine 10 years ago, but they are not as good for rifles. Going to build one with a 18" long side wrap around apron to place my sled on so I can shoulder rifles easily, and comfortably. I have some good ideas. I use 2x4 treated wood for the legs and 1X4 treated pine for decking. That way I can move them, fairly easily, by myself. I guess one thing leads to something else. "Oh the Joy of that!"