Rare Tennessee Game Species

Call me Joe Exotic, captured (or he captured us) one of those mythical and elusiveTN Black Panthers. 

He is carefully hiding in the lower right.

Not a hunter, but have spotted elk and bear in the park, a herd of buffalo, turkey at my in-laws, deer in my backyard and the occasional red fox.

Other than coyotes, it appears East TN has a healthy ecosystem and TWRA does a pretty nice job with land management.

IMG_20191027_111632760.jpg

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 3
On 5/18/2020 at 2:09 AM, Quavodus said:

I've never killed any but, I used to see a few Ruffed Grouse. Not seen one in years. Quail are almost like that.

The " Rarest of the rare " Brother... I grew up with a few regular grouse hunters.  Grouse are wily and live in extremely rugged terrain.  They are masters of camouflage and hiding, and they use their extreme skills very well.  If you know a grouse hunter that regularly brings some home; ya know a real, seasoned, in shape bird hunter.

leroy

• Like 2
1 hour ago, leroy said:

The " Rarest of the rare " Brother... I grew up with a few regular grouse hunters.  Grouse are wily and live in extremely rugged terrain.  They are masters of camouflage and hiding, and they use their extreme skills very well.  If you know a grouse hunter that regularly brings some home; ya know a real, seasoned, in shape bird hunter.

leroy

I've only killed one grouse in my life up here in Scott Co. And the fan mount went on the wall with a couple Turkey mounts of mine. A beautiful bird no doubt, I've only seen 4 in my life. One of which was this Turkey season. You dont see them much anymore.

Resizer_15899361646400.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I didn't know there were grouse in TN. They're a whole lot of fun to hunt. I've never had hunting dogs, so I mostly still hunt them like deer. I give myself two chances to shoot them in the head with a .22 and either ruin no meat or have a totally clean miss.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I've seen maybe a dozen grouse in TN in the last 15 years.  Mostly while walking timber stands in the Mountain of Morgan and Scott Co.  I only see them when they busted up and scared the #### out of me

Yeah, it's a lot of fun to see them launch up from underneath someone else's feet.

• Haha 1
On 5/21/2020 at 9:43 PM, TomInMN said:

Yeah, it's a lot of fun to see them launch up from underneath someone else's feet.

try walking under a big turkey roost when it's a pitch black morning.  You would think the trees are falling....😬

• Haha 2

On 5/24/2020 at 10:37 AM, Quavodus said:

I don't know if you would call Armadillo a game species or not but, I see them ran over on roads. Never seen a live one. They're like possums, they don't do  well with roads.

We got them all over the place in Henry county.  They pretty much only come out a night.  You can't legally shoot them at night.  I am thinking night vision and spears.

Does anybody ever see black bear? They've been spotted and videoed a few miles from my house. I've not seen one except in the Smokies. They've expanded a lot in the last 20 years or so. An old man told me about 15 years ago about some that was trapped in the Smokies and transported to Big South Fork. Thats got to be where a lot of the bears West of there are coming from.

• 2 months later...

My Dad says that his granddad used to raise grouse, pheasants, and quail to release around his property. He even sowed the pasture with stuff that they liked. Never seen any of them at all on that land. House cats kill any of them that are small, quail especially. That coupled with lots of open fields becoming housing developments does not give me hope that they will come back.