Thoughts...Recommendations... Observations Sass coach guns

leroy

Brothers n Sisters...

Another mania has struck me... I am thinkin about roundin up a double barrel coach gun of some flavor... Recommendations, thoughts, and observations are appreciated... I ain't picky about the gage, but most likely a 12 due to ammo availability.  Please think about it a bit and post your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Scattergun leroy, the ancient desparado.

At one time I had thought about getting a double barrel 12 gauge. My favorite actor John Wayne, had them double barrel "Greeners". I do have multiple shotguns, all 12 gauge. As soon as I thought about the money for another shotgun, I immediately go to another semi-automatic. Other than the idea of having a double barrel, why do you want a double barrel?

RED... I am, at heart, a pistol n shotgun junkie... I like the doubles because they are compact n easy to handle.  I've got a pile of pump riots... 97s, Ithaca 37, Model 12's in the safe, too valuable to tote about; and a couple of Browning slugsters in strategic corners... Not ta mention real hunting scatterguns.  I would like one to tote about a bit if the notion strikes me... The short double is the most compact scattering ya can find for that purpose...

leroy

• Like 1

Leroy, I bought my wife a "John Wayne stagecoach gun." At least that's what my wife calls it. lol

She has always LOVED John Wayne and commented many times on the shotgun doubles he carried in several movies.

Pardon me, but I must set the stage for this tale...

It's been almost 10 years ago now, but I went to a gun show in the old Wally World building in Smyrna. While I was dragging myself around looking at everything, I stopped to look at a couple of doubles lying on a table.

The seller came up and immediately told me to come around and sit for a while. Said something to the effect...You look like death warmed over...you need to sit down. Well I did take him up and we talked a while. He said he wasn't trying to be nosey, but thought I was pretty ill. Said my color looked bad, and I was weak and just short of falling over. I laughed and accepted some water from him. I told him I was taking chemo and radiation and was tired but needed to get out for a while.

As we talked, he told me that he thought so; his wife had just passed from cancer a few months earlier and I had some of the same look about me. We talked for about half an hour about his wife and my story.

I told him I was looking for something for my wife and the JW story behind it. Said she'd been so much a rock for me during this that I wanted to give her a present...something that she'd never buy for herself. A shotgun.

He picked up the one I'd been looking at...a 12 guage coach model, a Stoger, and said to take it to her, that it might cheer her up.

The old gentleman actually tried to give it to me. Said I'd helped him just talking about his wife had made him feel better. I just could not accept it. I thanked him many times and said no, but I would buy it from him.

He relented and finally said to give him 200 for it. Well of course I did and brought it home for her. Sad thing is, I never saw him again. Always wondered what happened with him. I really wanted to see him after I gave it to Susan and tell him how she reacted.

It's been fired once by her, and short of a break-in or other threat...that's the last time she will fire it. It didn't put her down on her butt, but it was close.

It resides in the corned by her nightstand with mini shells in it. Hope she never has to pick it up.

Well...you can see I have nothing to do today. Just sit here and bore you all.

Anyway Leroy, go for that coach gun! If you want it, get it. At our age...why not? We deserve a little fun.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 4
  • Love 3

Hipower.....thanks for sharing that experience!!  

Leroy ...... Rossi 12ga coach double with “ears” is my favorite of all.  ($300 when they first came out .... dang it, should have bought more than one.)  So, go for whatever tickles your fancy and then enjoy!!!

• Like 1

Stoger make one I have considered myself and I like the exposed hammers for the old west look. CZ makes one if I remember right but they are more pricy than Stoger.  Cimarron and Unertia also make nice ones. I believe Centry makes them as well but the Centry I handled sloppy.

Hipower, Thanks for sharing. Hope you are doing well and are cancer free.

My wife diagnosed with breast cancer last year. We suffered thru the chemo, her surgery and the radiation. Supposed to be cancer free. Now they have her on an oral chemo "just in case".

Anyway, prayers to you, your friend at the gun show and my wife.

1 hour ago, Kodiakhershey said:

Hipower, Thanks for sharing. Hope you are doing well and are cancer free.

My wife diagnosed with breast cancer last year. We suffered thru the chemo, her surgery and the radiation. Supposed to be cancer free. Now they have her on an oral chemo "just in case".

Anyway, prayers to you, your friend at the gun show and my wife.

Thank you. I will say that I was blessed in so many ways during that time. I had family and friends keeping me occupied, entertained, and covered in prayers. Sounds as if your wife was blessed in the same way as well.

My prayers for you both. I have been "in remission" for 9 years now. Every day, every second is a blessing. Sometimes I forget that. I never, ever should. I'm pretty sure you and your wife feel the same.

14 hours ago, leroy said:

Brothers n Sisters...

Another mania has struck me... I am thinkin about roundin up a double barrel coach gun of some flavor... Recommendations, thoughts, and observations are appreciated... I ain't picky about the gage, but most likely a 12 due to ammo availability.  Please think about it a bit and post your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Scattergun leroy, the ancient desparado.

If I were you, I'd give Uncle Joe a call to get his thoughts.    I hear he's fond of double barrel shotguns...  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

If I were you, I'd give Uncle Joe a call to get his thoughts.    I hear he's fond of double barrel shotguns...  :)

Yeah...but he only shoots them up in the air. So what does he know.

4 hours ago, aknifemaker said:

I have a 12 gauge coach gun I'd be willing to sell. It has internal hammers, not sure of who made it, its crated up right now. If your interested will dig it out.

Thanks a bunch aknife..! Let me ruminate a bit...

leroy.

On 5/18/2020 at 3:45 PM, hipower said:

Leroy, I bought my wife a "John Wayne stagecoach gun." At least that's what my wife calls it. lol

She has always LOVED John Wayne and commented many times on the shotgun doubles he carried in several movies.

Pardon me, but I must set the stage for this tale...

It's been almost 10 years ago now, but I went to a gun show in the old Wally World building in Smyrna. While I was dragging myself around looking at everything, I stopped to look at a couple of doubles lying on a table.

The seller came up and immediately told me to come around and sit for a while. Said something to the effect...You look like death warmed over...you need to sit down. Well I did take him up and we talked a while. He said he wasn't trying to be nosey, but thought I was pretty ill. Said my color looked bad, and I was weak and just short of falling over. I laughed and accepted some water from him. I told him I was taking chemo and radiation and was tired but needed to get out for a while.

As we talked, he told me that he thought so; his wife had just passed from cancer a few months earlier and I had some of the same look about me. We talked for about half an hour about his wife and my story.

I told him I was looking for something for my wife and the JW story behind it. Said she'd been so much a rock for me during this that I wanted to give her a present...something that she'd never buy for herself. A shotgun.

He picked up the one I'd been looking at...a 12 guage coach model, a Stoger, and said to take it to her, that it might cheer her up.

The old gentleman actually tried to give it to me. Said I'd helped him just talking about his wife had made him feel better. I just could not accept it. I thanked him many times and said no, but I would buy it from him.

He relented and finally said to give him 200 for it. Well of course I did and brought it home for her. Sad thing is, I never saw him again. Always wondered what happened with him. I really wanted to see him after I gave it to Susan and tell him how she reacted.

It's been fired once by her, and short of a break-in or other threat...that's the last time she will fire it. It didn't put her down on her butt, but it was close.

It resides in the corned by her nightstand with mini shells in it. Hope she never has to pick it up.

Well...you can see I have nothing to do today. Just sit here and bore you all.

Anyway Leroy, go for that coach gun! If you want it, get it. At our age...why not? We deserve a little fun.

HI...

What an absolutely lovely story... Genuine kindness n empathy in action... It’s great that the God of the Universe arranges these meeting just when we need em most...

Thanks for sharing this blessing Brother...

leroy.

• Like 2