Nashville machete attack

Sounds like he wanted to go to prison. That happens a lot. Why couldn’t he try to rob a bank, and be in a better prison. To bad those innocent people had to get in the way of his violence. Hope they get well, both physically and mentally. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pop pop said:

Most people don't think knives are all that dangerous, but they are. A knife in a trained man's hands can reek havoc on a man. 

Most consider big knives scarier than guns. They're much messier, slower, and more painful. 

Even a small knife can inflict damage. When my wife got started in nursing, and worked the required ER stint, she would come home and tell me horrible stories of knife wounds.  

Said gunshot wounds didn't bother her. There were usually only small holes visible, but a knife wound could be long, deep, and jagged. Much harder to clean and repair.

Yes, I know guns and big calibers can do more now, but this was 44 years ago. You know, when all we had were those wimpy little 357s.

4 hours ago, pop pop said:

Most people don't think knives are all that dangerous, but they are. A knife in a trained man's hands can reek havoc on a man. 

Who is this majority of people that think that? I’ve personally never heard a single person say that knives aren’t dangerous. Having attended multiple patients over the years with knife wounds, none of whom were cut by a “trained man” I’d say your methodology is flawed. The simple fact that our bodies really need to keep the red stuff inside, and most interactions with a knife involve it leaking out, sometimes rapidly, indicates that knives are dangerous.

• Like 3

Long story short, I sit on a jury once, where a drunken son-in-law, from Smyrna TN, used a baseball bat to bust an old man's head wide open, after the father's daughter left the guy on trial, and came back home because "He" her husband was beating her. Took many stitches to repair plus the old 63 Y O man, and a Doctor testified he had sustained major head trauma from the numerous blows from the bat.

Went in to deliberate and most on that jury, did not want to convict that perp, of a serious crime, because he only used a baseball bat, which they(most) did not consider it a deadly weapon. One women even said, during deliberation, that  knives and bats or clubs did not rise to the level of a gun, as far as being dangerous. Good thing we had a knowledgeable jury foreman, because he was able to convince 7 of the jurors, that knives and clubs could kill you just as easy as guns, if the man using one was skilled. 

Many walking the streets and breathing air do not consider knives as deadly weapons, and always most consider guns the ultimate. Too much stupidity in movies where one shot blows someone through a glass door. Many don't realize one can shoot someone 2 or 3 times with a gun, and a determined guy with a knife may cut one seriously before they pass out or bleed out and become incapacitated. 

I was sure surprised to hear the people in that courtroom discuss violence and their lack of knowledge of it. The lady that was saying bats were not a deadly weapon told the foreman just to look at TV or movies and that was her argument on what she based her belief on. There are some real bozos out there guys and they are who are going to sit on a jury judging you and I. 

9 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

Who is this majority of people that think that? I’ve personally never heard a single person say that knives aren’t dangerous. Having attended multiple patients over the years with knife wounds, none of whom were cut by a “trained man” I’d say your methodology is flawed. The simple fact that our bodies really need to keep the red stuff inside, and most interactions with a knife involve it leaking out, sometimes rapidly, indicates that knives are dangerous.

I think Pop Pop was referring to those who say "Why did they have to shoot him, he only had a knife". And I agree a successful knife attack can have horrible wounds and be perpetrated by anyone. I've seen quite a few myself when I was working.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Farman said:

And I agree a successful knife attack can have horrible wounds and be perpetrated by anyone. I've seen quite a few myself when I was working.

So have I. And I wouldn’t say the attackers were particularly skilled, or knew what they were doing. Sometimes a knife is simply a weapon of opportunity. Stabbing and slashing doesn’t take a lot of skill. Firing a gun at close distances doesn’t either.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, pop pop said:

Many walking the streets and breathing air do not consider knives as deadly weapons, and always most consider guns the ultimate. Too much stupidity in movies where one shot blows someone through a glass door. Many don't realize one can shoot someone 2 or 3 times with a gun, and a determined guy with a knife may cut one seriously before they pass out or bleed out and become incapacitated.

Sadly many have relied on Hollywood to get their "facts" and "history lessons". Kinda like the "wild West" They like to throw that term up when it comes to guns. If they made an accurate movie on the "wild West", it'd probably be the most boring movie ever. There weren't shootouts every 5 minutes. Yeah there times people did bad things but not the frequency that Hollywood portrays it.

1 hour ago, pop pop said:

Long story short, I sit on a jury once, where a drunken son-in-law, from Smyrna TN, used a baseball bat to bust an old man's head wide open, after the father's daughter left the guy on trial, and came back home because "He" her husband was beating her. Took many stitches to repair plus the old 63 Y O man, and a Doctor testified he had sustained major head trauma from the numerous blows from the bat.

Went in to deliberate and most on that jury, did not want to convict that perp, of a serious crime, because he only used a baseball bat, which they(most) did not consider it a deadly weapon. One women even said, during deliberation, that  knives and bats or clubs did not rise to the level of a gun, as far as being dangerous. Good thing we had a knowledgeable jury foreman, because he was able to convince 7 of the jurors, that knives and clubs could kill you just as easy as guns, if the man using one was skilled. 

I was sure surprised to hear the people in that courtroom discuss violence and their lack of knowledge of it. The lady that was saying bats were not a deadly weapon told the foreman just to look at TV or movies and that was her argument on what she based her belief on. There are some real bozos out there guys and they are who are going to sit on a jury judging you and I. 

I would have pointed out that O.J. Simpson killed two people with a knife in a matter of minutes.

17 hours ago, pop pop said:

Most people don't think knives are all that dangerous, but they are

Back in Mississippi my enhanced carry instructor who was a LEO said about 75-80% of gunshot victims survive and about 25-30% of knife victims survive. Most of knife victims will bleed out before the ambulance gets to the scene. Just like I have said many times, a gun is no more a weapon than a knife, a 2 iron, 4,000 lb. vehicle etc. But it is always the evil gun that gets the bad rap.

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I'm firmly in the "knives scare me more than guns" camp. 

I've known people who have been both shot and stabbed, and they said the stabbing was a hell-of-a-lot more painful. My guess is it has a lot to do with the speed and shock of which the injury occurs. It could also be the location of the injury too.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I've known people who have been both shot and stabbed, and they said the stabbing was a hell-of-a-lot more painful. My guess is it has a lot to do with the speed and shock of which the injury occurs. It could also be the location of the injury too.

Consider too that the machette is not exactly a "stabbing" kind of weapon.  These people got slashed and hacked.

• Like 1