Where to get inexpensive 9mm ammo

On 6/30/2020 at 9:57 AM, hipower said:

Wow. 40 cents a round and looks like still rising. Sure glad I'm not hunting ammo right now!

Up, up and away. Considering tax and shipping, two bangs for a buck. Someone once recently said, "Sure glad I'm not hunting ammo right now". Same here! But I will resupply when and if things return to a semblance of normalcy. With my matches and practice, I'm going through about 500 rounds a month. At that rate I have one years worth...

• Like 1

Cheap ammo now is a dream. AlI I see online or anywhere is all out crazy expensive. I'm not buying plinking/target ammo for $ .40 a round. Not even .$.35 a round. I bought some Lee dies on ebay this morning. 4 die set with shell holder. Yee Hah!

• Like 1

This is some of the craziest prices I have seen in literally decades.

I was shooting at Point Blank this week and about the only handgun ammo on the shelves was .357 Sig, 10mm, 45 LC, and 44 spl/mag. They said when a pallet of 9mm hits the door it's gone within hours.

I am so thankful I heeded the warnings and learned from experience to not get caught behind the eight ball. I handload and took advantage of last years Black Friday sales and have plenty of components to last me for a good while. But I'm still ordering more projectiles (affordably) from time to time. I should have another 1K of 9mm bullets from Everglades arriving Saturday. I can load these for about $0.12 - $0.14 per round depending on projectile cost and charge weight. If you cast it's about 1/2 that.

I read folks are having a challenging times locating affordable powder and primers, but I personally covered that a few years back.

That said, it's never too late to invest in the equipment and components and handloading is a rewarding process in and of itself imho.

It may be the best option going down the road.

Just my $0.02 worth :)

Edited by Jamie Jackson
Spelling
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

Bought 4 boxes of 100ct WWB at Rural King yesterday.

$22 per , limit 4

(9mm 115 fmj)

That was about the going price during the zer0 years.

Congrats!!

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

Bought 4 boxes of 100ct WWB at Rural King yesterday.

$22 per , limit 4

(9mm 115 fmj)

Nice looking out. Great item for the deals section.

Good on RK !! 

They are making money at 220 per 1k. The big thing this tells us, contrary to what many retailers use to justify their current sky high prices,  is that distributor prices are not thru the roof to where they have to pass it on to the consumer.

• Like 3
Guest BCR#1

I just picked up 1K of hard cast 124 grain RN 9mm for $50.00 from armslist. I'm alternating my center fire bullseye pistola between my 1942 Nazi Hi-Power and my Springfield 1911A1.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 7/15/2020 at 12:24 AM, Quavodus said:

Cheap ammo now is a dream. AlI I see online or anywhere is all out crazy expensive. I'm not buying plinking/target ammo for $ .40 a round. Not even .$.35 a round. I bought some Lee dies on ebay this morning. 4 die set with shell holder. Yee Hah!

Unless you already have a pile of primers, projectiles and powder, you're not going to fare much better as a reloader.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Unless you already have a pile of primers, projectiles and powder, you're not going to fare much better as a reloader.

There are still some small pistol primers available locally.  They're not cheap ($4.50-5.00/100) but they are still out there.  Magnum primers are not useless.  Bullets can still be found.  If you can scrounge up a pound or two of just about any fast burning pistol or shotgun powder, you're in business.  

Edited by deerslayer
6 hours ago, TGO David said:

And all that means is more time before you run out.

When I can't resupply it, I don't shoot it, unless I have to.   I've stopped shooting 9mm and 5.56 until things stabilize.  Fortunately I have plenty of .40, .308 and other calibers I can occupy myself with for a few months.

I would be in pretty good shape if my 9mm bullets would get here. I got a few hundred cases sized and primed ready to go. I'm in good shape on .38 Special though. Decent shape on .45 ACP. Need to load some .308 and 8mm. Got the stuff just haven't done it. 

7 hours ago, BCR#1 said:

We have reduced our weekly bullseye match round count from 90 to 60 of .22LR and from 90 to 60 of center fire due to the shortages of components. A few of the guys would have to drop out otherwise.

Talk about sheer stupidity, how about $.20 for a primer...........................https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875672416

Bill

And it Sold!?!?!?! Amazing what desperation and poor planning will cause.

• 2 weeks later...

After a range trip I’ve tried to replace or have more ammunition than I began the day with.  The only ammo I’ve bought since I retired has been 45-70 and 5.56.  With the current conditions I’ll spend less time practicing until things improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up 5 boxes of 250 rounds of 9mm ball ($13.99)and 3 boxes of 20 rods of SIG/Sauer .380 JHP ($14.99) at the Rural King in Crossville today.  Happened to walking in as they were restocking. After I purchased 4 boxes, I went out and got my wife and she bought 4 more. There was a limit of 4 boxes of pistol, 4 boxes of rifle and 4 boxes of shotgun ammunition.  .22LR counts as pistol ammunition. 

They also put out .38 Spl JHP and 7.62x39 while we were there. They still had lots of hunting ammunition. So did Dunham’s. But Dunham’s hardly had any pistol ammunition. Just oddball stuff like 460S&W.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Moped said:

at the Rural King

Are they trying to gain some of the market WalMart gave away?

RK is now a preferred retailer in my world, and they carry a bunch of stuff that I would buy at WM. 

See how that PC business model works on a micro level?

And apparently, ammo at fair market is starting to slip through enemy lines.

Also 5,000,000 new guns purchased year to date. If each transaction included just 2 boxes of ammo, that's a bunch of immediate demand.

Add in those first time owners who get extra for a permit, those who discover they like to shoot at the range on a regular basis and those who pursue hunting, regular training, or any of the cool gaming disciplines.

I suspect 9mm will settle down to .20 - .30 per 50 depending on brand, with other calibers following suit to their normal price points.

Thanks for letting us know about RK

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

I suspect 9mm will settle down to .20 - .30 per 50 depending on brand, with other calibers following suit to their normal price points.

Thanks for letting us know about RK

This was Geco 115gr. I’ve always had good luck with them.

• Like 2