Concealed only permit , reciprocity

The SC site lists Tennessee, but it has a link back to TN.Gov that is not there anymore. As you can see, there is no “Enhanced Only“ like there are after several other states. I would suspect they have not addressed it yet, and when they do; it will also be “Enhanced Only“.

How quick do you need to know? I have a family member that is a Police Officer in SC, but it might take awhile to find out from them.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx

Remember this CC only permit just went into effect Jan. 1.  With Covid 19 and all of its ramifications, gun law is on the back burner.  As things roll around to ‘normal’ other states may address this further.  If one is going to spend time and money I would recommend getting the best training and permit available.

• Like 2
On 5/23/2020 at 6:50 AM, SingleStack said:

Does South Carolina recognize the new TN concealed only permit? Heard conflicting opinions from a few people and can’t find a definitive answer. Thanks 

My niece said her FTO checked on it and said they only recognize our original HCP.

I would guess at some point they will update their web site.

I would also guess that as usual, results will depend on how a gun became an issue.

• 2 months later...

The bad part about the concealed only permit is that possibly there will be states that don't want to deal with it and drop us completely like Minnesota did when Tennessee allowed active military under the age of 21 to get a permit.

Instead of simply disallowing those under 21 for reciprocity, they dropped us completely.  I just hope other states my not follow their lead because of this stupid carry permit.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

Forgive me as I haven’t kept up to date on all the law changes. I have the regular HCP, since they have changed things, what do I have now? Has the law changed so that my current permit isn’t valid for what it used to be good for? 
Link to changes?

You now have an “enhanced” permit. No changes to the permit. Just a fancier name. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/reciprocity.html

As we know, the ECP is a bare minimum standard.  OK, but not perfect.  The CCP is a farce.  No gun handling and no shooting to be graded.  Simply dangerous IMO.  I have instructed many new shooters both in formal classes as well as informally.  Many have no business carrying a firearm.  Too many get TV confused with reality.

Edited by chances R
1 hour ago, chances R said:

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/reciprocity.html

As we know, the ECP is a bare minimum standard.  OK, but not perfect.  The CCP is a farce.  No gun handling and no shooting to be graded.  Simply dangerous IMO.  I have instructed many new shooters both in formal classes as well as informally.  Many have no business carrying a firearm.  Too many get TV confused with reality.

Agreed and waiting on the constitutional carry argument to start.

If gunowmers would use a little common sense, some training,  understand not everyone needs to be shot, and using a firearm should be towards the bottom of your bag of tricks.

Fundamentally ( @Cruel Hand Luke ) can you present your firearm without shooting yourself, an unintended someone or something and keep from getting shot?

Can you hit what your aiming at?

Can you keep your firearm running (by clearing malfunctions)

Can you keep your firearm loaded in case he has friends?

I think it's a good core skill set to build from.

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, DaveTN said:

My niece said her FTO checked on it and said they only recognize our original HCP.

I would guess at some point they will update their web site.

I would also guess that as usual, results will depend on how a gun became an issue.

Hey Dave I have a question if you will...

I've been checking around on this TN. enhanced permit and can't find much on it. I have the lifetime TN. Handgun Carry Permit. Where can I go to see how this new permit affects or changes the TN. HCP? I've checked handgun laws us and other sources and they don't address it.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Hey Dave I have a question if you will...

I've been checking around on this TN. enhanced permit and can't find much on it. I have the lifetime TN. Handgun Carry Permit. Where can I go to see how this new permit affects or changes the TN. HCP? I've checked handgun laws us and other sources and they don't address it.

Thanks

No changes for you...yours is now Enhanced. The new concealed carry permit will not have any impact on you unless some State decides to do away with our reciprocity because of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1