Jump to content
Luckyforward

A Handgun for My Wife

Recommended Posts

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:58 PM, Moped said:

I’m going to through the Ruger LC9S in 9mm. I have the Pro model and I love. So does my wife. They aren’t made anymore, but you still see them used. Ruger does still Make a version called the EC9S. The sights are cast as a part of the slide and finish is a matte type. They usually run around $250 or so. https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/52078/ruger+ec9s+9mm+312+black+7%2b1

If 9mm .38 pr .380 is just too much for her, check out .32ACP.  There are several pistols available out there in this nice little round. Starting with a Keltec P-32. I had one of these I pocket carried all the time. When my oldest got her HCP, but didn’t have a pistol to carry, I gave it to her and bought a Ruger LCP. I actually miss that P-32. It s a great little pistol. I have a friend that swears by a Beretta Tomcat .32. Nice looking pistol and well built. Usually runs around $450. Lastly, as mentioned before, there are a bunch of Beretta Police Trade-Ins that have brought into the Country lately. They are Model 81s and come with 1 12 round mag, but they have spare mags available for a nominal price. I’ve been wanting one of these for myself, to be honest.

When I had that little Keltec, I sorta fell in love with the .32 ACP round. I found it to be accurate and follow up shots were quick and easy. And at 9.6 oz that little Keltec was the perfect pocket carry. Just a tad lighter than the LCP, but with a lot less kick for such a small gun.
 

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/15204/kel-tec+cnc+p-32+p-32+7%2b1+32+acp++27"

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/25071/beretta+3032+tomcat+32+acp+inox+stainless

https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-mod-81-pistol-surplus-used-good-very-good/

One thing that needs mention when it comes to the sub compacts is with the availability of Lehigh bullets and now even Black hills makes a Honey Badger bullet similar to the Lehigh all copper bullets. The lehighs have a wide variety of reloading bullets at Midway or is loaded by Underwood. The all copper bullets are pretty much a revolutionary step in mouse gun SD. I was never one to suggest 32 ACP as a SD gun and cringed a bit with a 380 in that roll but these new bullets are game changers. Those small calibers simply don't have the moxy needed for violent tissue damage in many cases. A hollow point needs to expand and that expansion comes at a price of used bullet energy when theres little to be had in the first place. Imagine how much energy it would take you to put a 32 or 380 HP round in a hand press and squash it into a perfect mushroom. The energy you just used in the process is entirely wasted in effecting deeper penetration or cavity damage. The scalloped cuts on the all copper bullets lose none of their energy by necessitating a metal reconfiguration. The result is far more tissue damage and penetration. The youtube vidios all prove this out. I remember an all copper bullet that was tested in handgun defensive loads in a Gun Digest I have from the late 60's. It was of a pointed conical design and it was pretty devastating in the test media of the day. Problem was, those bullets were hand made on non CNC machines and simply were not cost effective for the market. That's all changed today. In light of all this, I'm waiting for my NAA 32  to come in so it can ride in a cell phone pouch I have. It will just fit with maybe a spare mag.  Thats my when I have pants on gun without ever fooling with it on and off. A security clip snaps on and off the belt on the leather cell pouch. I bought some 115g Lehigh bullets to load in my serious K40 Kahr when on treks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife carries a glock 42, we have a range here at the house and she gets lots of practice with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not made anymore but the Browning BDA is a 380 and on the larger and heavier side. Beautiful gun, my uncle (retired army) carries one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

Not made anymore but the Browning BDA is a 380 and on the larger and heavier side. Beautiful gun, my uncle (retired army) carries one.

While not beautifully blued like the BDA, the Beretta 84 is the same gun except that it has the more open, Beretta style, slide.

I kick myself regularly for selling my pristine BDA. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 9:58 PM, Moped said:

I’m going to through the Ruger LC9S in 9mm. I have the Pro model and I love. So does my wife. They aren’t made anymore, but you still see them used. Ruger does still Make a version called the EC9S. The sights are cast as a part of the slide and finish is a matte type. They usually run around $250 or so. https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/52078/ruger+ec9s+9mm+312+black+7%2b1

If 9mm .38 pr .380 is just too much for her, check out .32ACP.  There are several pistols available out there in this nice little round. Starting with a Keltec P-32. I had one of these I pocket carried all the time. When my oldest got her HCP, but didn’t have a pistol to carry, I gave it to her and bought a Ruger LCP. I actually miss that P-32. It s a great little pistol. I have a friend that swears by a Beretta Tomcat .32. Nice looking pistol and well built. Usually runs around $450. Lastly, as mentioned before, there are a bunch of Beretta Police Trade-Ins that have brought into the Country lately. They are Model 81s and come with 1 12 round mag, but they have spare mags available for a nominal price. I’ve been wanting one of these for myself, to be honest.

When I had that little Keltec, I sorta fell in love with the .32 ACP round. I found it to be accurate and follow up shots were quick and easy. And at 9.6 oz that little Keltec was the perfect pocket carry. Just a tad lighter than the LCP, but with a lot less kick for such a small gun.
 

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/15204/kel-tec+cnc+p-32+p-32+7%2b1+32+acp++27"

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/25071/beretta+3032+tomcat+32+acp+inox+stainless

https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-mod-81-pistol-surplus-used-good-very-good/

Agree on the Keltec 32. I had one and sold it during the "it ain't enough gun" period I went thru. I'm regretting it more and more.

Never owned a Tomcat, but have the Beretta 81/84 from the CF sales. Nice guns, shoot well. Can be a bit "snappy" if having arthritis issues.

Also have and have owned since late 90s, a Browning BDA. Great little pistol. But some of the most felt recoil of any small pistol I own. Perhaps it's just me. IDK.

Doubt my comments really help, but just sending my own observations out. Good luck to you and your wife, sir, in finding the right handgun.

Last thought, I appreciate the comments on "wadcutters" from everyone. I remember my Dad shooting them during his competition days, in fact, I may even have a few boxes he loaded back in the 60s. I sorta kept them as keepsakes. 

I think I'll look into the wadcutters again, especially the 147 grains. Thanks all for the ideas.

Proof again that TGO is the best! Always recommendations and ideas for all ages.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter was over to the house last night and she is looking for a new pistol.  When she finds what she wants, I'm getting the little Keltec P32 back . Then I'm going trade the LCP in for something else. Maybe I'll trade it in on a SDS Fatih .380 or a Bersa Thunder. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Moped said:

My daughter was over to the house last night and she is looking for a new pistol.  When she finds what she wants, I'm getting the little Keltec P32 back . Then I'm going trade the LCP in for something else. Maybe I'll trade it in on a SDS Fatih .380 or a Bersa Thunder. 

You will love the Bersa Thunder in 380. Take it from a guy that has 4 of them...…...😂 Just added my last one a little over 2 months ago and now have a safe house regardless of what ever room I am in. Now the only 380 I still want is an LCP and I will be done buying 380's.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines